Surprisingly Effective Cooling without AC or Electricity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDub

Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried (or heard of this concept) It's a surprisingly effective home made cooling system that I first pshawed at when I first read about it, then I decided to give it a try since I save 2 liter bottles I collect from friends (I don't drink soda). Put one of these together in about 2 hours mounted in heavy cardboard in a basic wooden frame on legs that I put on my deck and sat in front in the Broiling Hades that is the lower Bama summertime (I cheated at times and used a fan). I was really amazed that with a bit of breeze, just how well this worked. I'd think it would be a great way to ventilate the small space so many of the forum readers live in without having to resort to electrical or battery power. Obviously need one thing to function. Wind or a breeze and the effectiveness directly correlates with the force of air flow. Maybe some of you all out there might give it a try - great way to use recycled material - and let us know how it worked for you.

https://www.cleverly.me/diy-ac/?ref=fb

Cheers.

I have seen that before. I prefer just to go somewhere where it's not hot enough to worry about it. Highdesertranger

Gotta say I agree with you there. My idea of a hot summer hangout is Cloudcroft NM...

Good Frosty Morning from Bama. It's 22 F with about an inch on the ground. People are agog and everything is closed (again) :D IRT this little contraption, I can only say that the one I put together and tried out on the back deck provided a noticeably cooler air flow when there was enough breeze (and when I was cheating with a fan). I didn't try it out in an enclosed space which is probably the test case of record for most forum readers. That's why I suggested someone try it out under actual test conditions out there.

It's sot simple to make so what's lost in the effort? I'm going to put one together that will fit in the window opening in the Jeep's tailgate. With the tinted window lifted it would provide shade to avoid heating air and perhaps a cardboard cuff could be cobbled together to fit around it to further channelize airflow around it to improve performance (if any). It's simply too cold to do so now but once it warms up (won't take long here :rolleyes:) I'll report back with the results.

Cheers and stay warm and safe out there.

JDub said:
Good Frosty Morning from Bama. It's 22 F with about an inch on the ground. People are agog and everything is closed (again) :D  IRT this little contraption, I can only say that the one I put together and tried out on the back deck provided a noticeably cooler air flow when there was enough breeze (and when I was cheating with a fan). I didn't try it out in an enclosed space which is probably the test case of record for most forum readers. That's why I suggested someone try it out under actual test conditions out there.

It's sot simple to make so what's lost in the effort? I'm going to put one together that will fit in the window opening in the Jeep's tailgate. With the tinted window lifted it would provide shade to avoid heating air and perhaps a cardboard cuff could be cobbled together to fit around it to further channelize airflow around it to improve performance (if any). It's simply too cold to do so now but once it warms up (won't take long here :rolleyes:) I'll report back with the results.

Cheers and stay warm and safe out there.
Good luck, cant wait to hear how it performs, love innovativeness and simple ideas...thanks for sharing.

bagabum said:
Good luck, cant wait to hear how it performs, love innovativeness and simple ideas...thanks for sharing.

Will Do!

So maybe it doesn't work as well compared to our western world air conditioners, but if you're in a little corrugated metal hut in the middle of a village w/o electricity or even running water, it certainly looks like it may help a little lol.

Uncle Todo said:
So maybe it doesn't work as well compared to our western world air conditioners, but if you're in a little corrugated metal hut in the middle of a village w/o electricity or even running water, it certainly looks like it may help a little lol.

Or in a little metal box on wheels in the desert... :D

Cheers