Super Gauge for curves & frames?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelgianPup

Reaction score
I just ran across this gadget .  There seem to be several versions, priced from $10 to $40.

It has a lot of tiny fingers that you line up, and then press the edge against the area that you want to capture (like a van wall curve, or a section of the inner frame).

It looks handy, but is it long enough for our purposes?

Just Google "Super Gauge".

Yes, those can be quite handy when you need to replicate a shape and transfer it to material you intend to cut.  Before I purchased mine I often used a piece of soft solder to press around a shape or contour.  I found  a flexible draftsman's curve. (but using draftsman's tools for bench craft work isn't really a good idea if you need it to use on a drafting board too).

I found mine for just a few bucks years ago.  It's one of those tools you don't use a lot,  but when you have need for it you'll be glad you have it.  Mine is 8 inches wide.  Sometimes I've wished that these came in a kit in 2 inch wide that would snap together. (for those tight places)

Thank you very much! I never knew that anything like that existed -- could have used it in the past.

I'm glad you mentioned the tool here for everyone's benefit.  I often forget I even have mine....till I need it and then the light goes on.

Where I studied Industrial Design some of my instructors worked at the Ohio Historical Center just north of Columbus, OH.  Fortunately for me one instructor was into antique/vintage tools and focused part of is teaching on how our ancestors brought their design concepts to fruition.  I found the evolution of modern tools (many automated with electric) from earlier manual devices to be fascinating.  Especially those from other parts of the world from centuries ago.  There are some things you will hear Engineers say that we couldn't make "that" today. LOL  Well, economically at least. 

But there are books in libraries and websites that showcase old tools  and projects young people pursued in the past with those tools.  When I'm in Harbor Freight today I see new tools (copies) of things my Grandad & Great Grandad owned.  Made in China of course, but they see the value of them still for the average person in the home shop.  And I think that's a good thing as many of today's large American companies started in garage shops from behind the house...with such tools.

My guess is that in time we will make tools with 3D printing using plastics which will have photovoltaic qualities (if powered) so that if used in the daylight for construction that they will charge themselves as they are used.  In time 4D printing will produce the same tools as flat blocks such when activated will "pop" into the that tool.  (Perhaps when we start building on Mars   :D )

Lindsay Publications (now out of business) used to have booklets showing skills from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.  But many of these are archived to preserve the information.

Chest of Books has many of the same for free to view online.

Archive of Lindsay Publications
https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/category-s/2072.htm

Chest of Books/Crafts & Hobbies

I bought one of these to use for tracing the shape of floor molding etc. Works fine but I wish the little pegs or whatever were stiffer. It is to easy to bump them out of position. Transferring the pattern can be tricky. Consider this when researching which one to buy.

I'm pretty sure "Subway" has built a sandwich shop/gas station on Mars by now. I don't know if they used that technology.

I used on of the counter gauge finger tools when repairing the fiberglass shell of my travel trailer. There was a couple of inches long hole in the shell at the transisition area between the upper and lower halves. I needed to create a contoured backer block to support the new fiberglsss cloth repair while the resin cured The contoured block was cut on my bandsaw and the surface then coated by brushing silicone caulk over it for a release agent. It also acted as a gasket at the edges of the hole as the silicone was applied just thick enough to compress against the shell.Tricky area to rebuild but that tool made it easy to get the contour just right.

Being a person who has done lots of renovations and putting in flooring and and also cutting tiles I have had that tool in my tool box for many years. The early ones had metal fingers.

Another quick way to to follow the curves of a large area that was taught to me by my then, Industrial Design student...Take a roll of blue painters tape and using as many pieces that are needed, place gently down on the curve you are following. Because of the PostIt like quality of the adhesive, you can then carefully remove the tape and place it on the wood you are cutting and simply draw the curves on the piece that needs to be cut. I've use flexible curves, solder, and scribing methods, but found that this works best for me. Your mileage may vary...

that works when you are working with flat surfaces such as on a floor.. When your trying to get the contours of an uneven wall such as most bare metal auto interiors.. not so well..

When I did the buildout on my old '75 and '77 Dodge van's, placing the board as close to the wall as possible while still flat on the floor and using a compass to trace the outline on the board works well. I couldn't get the compass to open wide enough for a single trace but making cuts and retracing worked wonders.

Can it be used vertically, too? I'm thinking of fitting the contours to cut the back of a cabinet to slide up against the wall of the van.

Slide a board up against any surface and trace. Orientation of the board only has to be against the surface (as close as you can get). That is how I did the cabinet sides to fit the wall.