Sunrise driving . . . with Sun Glare, what's your solution?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ thanks, this is excellent.

Btw off topic, pulled into inspection on the 10, outside of El Paso, CBP says to me "what's inside the cage" in a manly voice, (I have a bulkhead), I said "my bed", he smiled and wave me thru LOL. I thought I might get a secondary lol.

eDJ_ said:
I've seen a lot of Truckers use these plastic filters which extend beyond the visor when it is down.  They can also be used when the visor is up too if you don't want an opaque panel blocking your view.

drivers-transparent-sun-visor-1884.jpg

I've even seen baseball caps with the sunglasses built into the bottom of the visor where they can be pulled down or flipped back up.   Just can't find pictures of those.   Airplane Pilots wear them quite often.

Amazon.  I now have them on my wish list.

https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Visor...rd_wg=Ynuft&psc=1&refRID=ZJEDTRPFMQWQV9HG06T1

Relocate so you're driving west, north or south at sunrise. ;)

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My home may be tiny; ... but my backyard is HUGE, and I have no yard work to do.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]exsqueeze me, I do "[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]yard work" pickup trash and be extra [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]careful to leave no sign of ME ever having camped, my organic cigarettes have no filter,,, [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]dazzz my job.[/font]
My response is leaving before the sunrise and take a moment to watch the sunrise when boon docking I will start driving as early as 4 thirty

Spaceman Spiff said:
I have three solutions to sunrise/sunset driving:
  1. The best = Don't drive; stop, rest, enjoy.  Don't be in such a hurry, it's only for an hour or so.  That anxious to get cataracts?
  2. The good = I have a pair of Julbo glacier goggles; side shields and <5% light transmissivity.  I can drive directly into the sun.
  3. The adequate = I wear a cowboy hat.  By tilting my head I can instantly block the sun no matter how the road twists and turns.
 -- Spiff

Just an FYI and at least in California, Glacer glasses with side shields will get you a ticket. don't ask how I know, but on that occasion I lied and said I was sorry that I had them on, I usually wear standard sunglasses, just forgot sir!. 

Mike R

yep Mike I was going to mention that ^. I also have a first hand experience with that law. highdesertranger

wagoneer said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My home may be tiny; ... but my backyard is HUGE, and I have no yard work to do.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]exsqueeze me, I do "[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]yard work" pickup trash and be extra [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]careful to leave no sign of ME ever having camped, my organic cigarettes have no filter,,, [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]dazzz my job.[/font]
My response is leaving before the sunrise and take a moment to watch the sunrise when boon docking I will start driving as early as 4 thirty

Was [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]goin[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g to be; "... and I don't have to mow any of it" but that wouldn't cover the time(s) I'm in the desert/deep forest/etc.[/font][/font]

As far as the rest; ... I was trained by a confused Sasquatch while I was avoiding man-scaping/shaving ---

15823678_1300275620043517_202295378516287445_n.jpg

I agree with the visor extender, but buy one that has a dual level of blockage... so if you need really dark against the full front sun you can flip that down and then up when it's not so strong?

Drive in the slower lane and don't expect to travel at the faster speed limit. That way you aren't looking as far down the roadway to be safe, but at a different angle. Use WAZE ap for cautions of upcoming traffic and road issues.

And I also agree about scheduling a break.

Maybe a ceramic window tinting would be worth the $? It blocks out a lot of heat and UV radiation, probably would help with glare. Its like sunglasses for your car, and with sunglasses on your face and the visors you could drive directly towards a mushroom cloud if you wanted to.

I am getting it done on front windshield and front windows soon... costs about 190$ for all 3, probably 400$ for entire car of 6 windows, front and back windshield. (Good price for CA).

in many places tinting your windshield and even your front windows is illegal, so please don't set yourself up for tickets and police harassment.

yeah I was also thinking about tinting the door and windshield windows but like Explorer said . . . cops/tickets. I made an extender to the visor and it works well. I'll get the tint visor next. With my home made extender, the only time the sun hits is when it raising and hits you between your sight between your steering wheel to the extender visor. usually its a 15 minute duration. Like most said, take a coffee break.

Check this out. Now you can protect your whole face while scaring the crap out of the driver in front of you:

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Face-Shield-Protection-Protector/dp/B06XCM1ML1

I love how it's"not suggested for use while driving a car," and yet recommended for biking or walking.  :D

I like wraparound Cocoon sunglasses (both the brown shade and the yellow, depending on driving conditions) that I can fit over my glasses,but I've never found any kind of lens filter that can beat full-on sun glare. So I think I'll need one of those "foreign legion" style hats that combines side/neck protection with a big brim.

My head liner is cloth so I took a piece of reflex put duct tape on the edge to make it more rigid and put male heavy duty velcro on that. I can locate it any where in windows I need it.

Here at 7k ft in NM the UV's are killer. Driving round town with the big front window in my T & C minivan the heat and glare are already unbearable.

When my vehicle goes in for a clear coat and detailing, I'm also getting UV protection for the front window. Not visible or detectable by authorities, but blocks high UV's.

Locals told me this will help.