Suitcase Solar Advantages?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4GNomad

Reaction score
I hope everyone is doing well. I know most people mount solar on their roof, but wouldn't you get a better solar benefit with a suitcase setup so you can setup morning/evening sun angles to get the optimum charging each day? I am looking into this option for car tenting in the Vue until I decide what route I am going to go for a more permanent full-time living solution. If I did something semi permanent, I might go with the bendable panels as they are thinner and have a lower profile. What are your thoughts?

I'm going suitcase style for several reasons.

- I'm short and only do ladders for extenuating circumstances. PV panels need cleaning which I wouldn't be able to do if they were on the roof. They also benefit from tilting which I wouldn't be able to do either.

- I have a van with a fiberglass high top roof that I just had all the holes patched in that the PO put there either deliberately or accidentally. I'm not putting holes in it again!!

- I live 6 months of the year in heavily wooded areas. I prefer parking in the shade and that's incompatible with solar energy collection.

In your case, since you're only trying out living in a vehicle and aren't sure if the one you've got is the right one, I'd definitely go suitcase. The only alternative is to mount panels on a roof rack system that could be removed if you change vehicles. Then you'd only be out the rack cost since it is chancy as to whether it would fit any other vehicle.

Also with the Vue it's kinda low profile, everybody far and wide would be able to see your panels from ground level. At least on a full size van, most can't see what's on the roof racks.

Thanks Almost... I was along the same line of thinking. Cheers!

I purchasd a suitcase system from our website owner BOB about 3 years ago and coincidently yesterday was the best i have seen from them 15 volts for over 12 hours 
2 drill  batteries,1wood saw battery,1 phone ,1 razor and my laptop all charged 100%
I have been extremely happy with the system actually i am installing 2*320 watt panels on my camper van roof for my main useage  Fridge,microwave,lights etc 
if you use a little bigger gauge wire you may be able to extend the distance you can place them away from your vehicle 
Good Luck 
Roy

Let me day I no longer sell panels. When the suitcase panels first came out they were so hard to find I started selling them. But as soon as they became available for less on Amazon I stopped. I made some money on them but it wasn't worth the hassle. I just really liked the idea and wanted people to have access to them
Bob

I too am installing panels this year but it was my portables that made me see the advantages solar held for me.

Pros are the ability to point them at the sun any time it is shining and get full power. That in itself is worth twice what a flat mounted panel gets.

The ability to have the vehicle in the shade while the panels are in the sun is wonderful. Even if it's just the ability to avoid the moving shadows.

They are easy to clean, you don't have to drill holes or run wire and if you change rigs, they go with you. They take minutes to set up and seconds to adjust.

The cons

Portable solar does you no good while stowed away. There is no charging while my trailer is in the storage lot or under way.

Storing them does take up room, in my case lots. I'd have to move them to use the trailer if we were to stop for the night while traveling.

I have never heard of someone having their mounted panels stolen but as with anything not nailed down, portable are at risk of theft.

the last thing and it's on the suitcase portables. They are built to a price point, not to be the best they can be. You really need to understand what you are getting and need to determined if the premade will be enough or if you are just better off building your own to meet your needs with thicker cables and a better controller.

Very well summarized Jimindenver!

One thing to consider is assemblying your own portable system using the flexible panels. They are much lighter and easier to handle and I suspect they are more durable, but don't know that yet. That way you could buy the controller that best fits your budget and mount it in the van.

I have a friend who did that with the Renogy flexible panels and he built some simple stand to hold them at the right angle. He used a 10 gauge, 110 volt outdoor extension cord to run them out away from his van.

Or, since they have grommets on them you could hang them off the side of the van and stake them down a a 45 degree angle and they would be an awning!
Bob

4GNomad said:
I hope everyone is doing well.  I know most people mount solar on their roof, but wouldn't you get a better solar benefit with a suitcase setup so you can setup morning/evening sun angles to get the optimum charging each day?  

I love my suitcase solar. There has only been one case where I wish I also had roof-mounted, as where I had to park, the ground was nearly always in the shade, and the roof was always in the sun. Still, suitcase solar works great for me 99% of the time! Having said that, I'm happy with my FHUs at the campground, where I don't have to monitor power usage, or worry about water consumption and dumping waste tanks. But, I'll be ready to boondock again when it's time.

I made my own portable system.  2 80watt panels and a stand,  the controller is mounted in the truck.  I set it up plug it in and flip a switch.  here's what I have found.  to manually track the sun you have to adjust it at least 4 times a day during the summer.  if you are just sitting around camp this really isn't a problem,  but if you are away from camp like I am most of the time.  then you just leave them in a flat configuration.  not much tracking.  plus in any areas with tall grass or brush you must get the panels up above so you don't have shading.  plus like jim stated you must set up or you get nothing.  however when I build my trailer I will keep my portable even though I will have panels mounted to the roof.  here is a pic of mine.  I know, I know they are in the shade but I took this pic at about 8pm the sun was real low.
oregon 049.jpg
highdesertranger

Attachments

• oregon 049.jpg
    oregon 049.jpg
    1.1 MB
Here is my little portable set-up.  Two 70 watt panels.  Controller is mounted close to the battery but not in the battery box.  Wire and controller are large enough for expansion.  Portable is better for me because my roof has alot of shadow potential and I didn't want to worry about how I parked.  Also, getting on the roof is getting harder for this old lady.

Attachments

• 100_1939 (800x600).jpg
    100_1939 (800x600).jpg
    385.3 KB
I like the use of the pair of wheel chocks for getting the bottom of the panels up off the ground and not allowing them to slip - great idea..thanks!!

Almost There said:
I like the use of the pair of wheel chocks for getting the bottom of the panels up off the ground and not allowing them to slip - great idea..thanks!!

Thank you!  I have two spring loaded curtain rods that I use to tilt the panels up when the sun is high  The chocks help in the morning and evening when I lower the panels.  Just try to use things I already have. I try to get every last bit of sunlight I can before dark.  LOL.

highdesertranger said:
nice jo,  btw you have a nice looking rig.  highdesertranger

Thanks!  She's 13 years old; I've had her for 5 years.  Only has 127,000 miles on her and I keep on top of maintenance, so hopefully I have many more miles to drive. 

I like your portable set-up too!  I think for some of us, portable is the best solution.  Now that I've used it for a couple of years, I think I would like one more panel.  Or sell these and get two 100 watt.  The smaller ones are easier for me to handle though.

That's what we need an article on...How to make your own portable solar panel using two 100 watt panels. Ideas on how to hook them together and the best way to attach controllers, etc.

RVTravel said:
That's what we need an article on...How to make your own portable solar panel using two 100 watt panels. Ideas on how to hook them together and the best way to attach  controllers, etc.

Here is how another member did it:    http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/installing-renogy-200-watt-solar-kit/    

I installed my controller close to the battery (not in the battery box) and fused.  I used regular solar cable with MC4 connectors and ran the wire from the controller to the panels down through the vent holes in my battery box and have them rolled up and attached under the van, riding in the spare tire in a waterproof bag. I was going to put quick disconnects but decided this was just as easy and less loss from more connections. This cable is also fused.  My controller does not have a LED display and is not visible without opening the storage area because I have vinyl walls and have not decided on a final location.  If I ever get one with adjustable charging parameters, I will find another place to mount it.

There are more articles on portable solar in the blogs.  

I agree Jo, the smaller the panel, the easier they are to use as remote set ups. I also have a 50watt that I move around to charge different batteries, it's easy to move around. however with my two 80watt panels I built a aluminum box that opens like a book with a panel on each side. it's very heavy and hard to move around. I shouldn't have put both in one box. highdesertranger

Stealth is my biggest priority. I thought I would not be able to do solar at all. But with the suitcase that is lighter and easier to handle, I wedge mine between the sun roof and the inside cover for the sun roof and it charges away for hours.

You might have seen Gone with the Winns video showing their 120w suitcase solar kit. If not, here it is:

Chip