Suggestions for my new Prius setup?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've got my vehicle and I'll have the windows tinted before the month is out. I'm starting to think about the main parts of my build, such as sleeping, cooking, and power. I thought I'd share my thinking and invite some more experienced folks to chime in.  For the time being, I am not planning to remove any seats.

Sleeping: I think I'll use either plastic or wooden storage containers to bridge the gap between the front and rear seats.  For the bed, I'll probably get a thin foam mattress topper and use it with normal sheets.  I am also considering a slim inflatable camping mat to use on top of the foam, which I have read that many people like.  Where I live it's currently 92 degrees ("Feels like 99!") so I'm not worried about the cold weather for a while.

Power & Cooking: I group these together because the biggest power draws that I'm considering will be food related.  My non-negotiable power needs would be charging my laptop, tablet, and cell phone.  I would also like to be able to run an induction hot plate off the 12v, and running a small fridge would be great.  The craziest things I might consider would be a rice cooker or other kitchen gadgets like that.  I'm not really sure what sort of inverter I might need to run this stuff, if it can be run from the cigarette lighter, or if any of this is even advisable.  If I wanted to go without an inverter, I could probably get cigarette lighter chargers for my electronics, a yeti or similar good cooler for food storage, and use propane to cook.

As for the cooking itself, I am planning to use two pans which I already own - one small and one large. I will probably also bring a small pot for pasta etc, and use those containers I mentioned for dry food storage, plates and cutlery etc.

Safe travels!

Hi, Bill,
Say do you know that there are other folks on this forum who have detailed how they live specifically in a Prius?

First, if you go to Suanne's blog, she has easy to find links in the right column (I believe it is) for her posts about setting up every sort of system. Find her at:

http://suanneonline.blogspot.com/

Then you can look through Brent's older posts for how he does things. I think his latest ones are on converting back to his passenger car for the part of the year he stays home. His blog is at:

http://macaloney.blogspot.com/

Longtime vandweller Glenn Morrissette had long used an induction burner, but in his latest remodel he gives it up (with a couple of reasons stated that I cannot remember but you should be able to locate several posts back on his blog at:

www.tosimplify.net

Hope these are helpful.

Hi Bill,

Although I don't use an induction stove, a 12v Fridge, or a rice cooker in my Prius, I do know Prius dwellers who do. Brent runs a 12v compressor fridge and, if I remember correctly, powers it from house batteries that are kept charged by a connection to the accessory (starter) battery of the Prius (http://macaloney.blogspot.com/2015/03/powering-fridge.html). David runs an induction stove from an inverter connected to his accessory battery. My brother Glen part-time dwells in his Prius and runs a rice cooker from an inverter connected to his accessory battery. In both David and Glen's situation, their Prii must be powered on when they use their induction stove or rice cooker, respectively. The engine only kicks on when the car's batteries need to be recharged. Bob made a video of David's set up on YouTube (). My brother Glen has not documented his set up with the rice cooker. But, if you have specific questions, I can ask him.

Hope that helps ... and congrats on the Prius purchase!

You mentioned camping mattresses. For what it's worth, this is the one I use in my SUV, and it's fantastic. You won't need a mattress topper with it. And I've found that a rectangular sleeping bag liner fits perfectly over it and functions as a fitted sheet.

Latest posts