subaru update - power and space

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lforto20

Reaction score
Hello! I am kitting out my Subaru to car camp for the foreseeable future. I had left for a couple of days about a month and a half ago, but had to return to my parents' place due to power constraints. I needed some sort of house power to work my online job but the external battery was not cutting it. So my Dad and I decided to do a secondary car battery with an inverter. It'll charge when I drive but I am planning on converting it to solar when I have the slush funds. I have high hopes! That being said he had to tear out the carpet where he placed it (photo attached, still need to add in the battery), so I'm planning on going all in with the Subaru next summer! We had already taken out the front passenger seat for extra storage space, but now I'm thinking I'll take out the back seat as well. 

Q: Has anyone actually done a build out with their car? Or does everyone just do temp builds?

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_113916_396.jpg
    IMG_20190922_113916_396.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
several members live in their cars full time, more than a couple of Prius. hopefully they will chime in. highdesertranger

YouTube of an Outback setup. I considered this, but decided I was too old to squeeze in and out, that I wanted the option to be inside on rainy days able to make tea and read till it clears. I also thought it was a big load for a wee car.

Has solar, refrigerator, stove space - the works.

i'm in a 2013 hyundai accent and have found that the simplest and most functional solutions seem to work best when you are dealing with a very small amount of space like that.

ive just been laying the back seats down, but I feel like all I really want to do is take the back seats out and build a very simple elevated bed platform that allows for storage space underneath as well as on the side to store a portable power station, water and gear. debating whether to get a small table and some kind of open tent covering. kinda feels like a waste of space but thinking about experimenting with it.

i think your choice of vehicle also depends greatly on who you are and how you want your life on the road to look. a lot of people on this forum seem to prefer to spend their time on blm land and remote areas where they spend a lot of time in just in their vehicles doing their day to day thing, as opposed to someone like me, who will spend part of my time in places like that, but will also return to cities for various reasons like working out of coffee shops and going to a few shows to have enjoying being around ppl for a while.

i'm in my early 30s so i'm not entirely ready to just be a hermit in the woods (but i'm sure I will get there lol)

a solid, reliable car is always better than an old crappy van that could fail on you i say. gotta use what you are fortunate to actually own yourself and make it work while you dream up somethin better

post pics of your progress!

swlands said:
YouTube of an Outback setup. 

Has solar, refrigerator, stove space - the works.

That's crazy! I never imagined having that many things in an outback

namenlos86 said:
ive just been laying the back seats down, but I feel like all I really want to do is take the back seats out and build a very simple elevated bed platform that allows for storage space underneath

I actually put a platform on top of my folded back seat because it was at a slant when it was folded, so I have a small amount of storage space underneath (photo below of my bed). Just picked up a rooftop cargo carrier for the roof so I'll have an "attic." I think I'll do some sort of rigging with a tarp so I have a "patio" space outside my door, but that's a work in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20190724_101717_206.jpg
    IMG_20190724_101717_206.jpg
    987 KB · Views: 24
You are on the way!

I see a screw in that bed leg that has a bungee hooked over it. That screw head is sharp and I could see it ripping the bedding or you as you pull stuff in and out. If that is all it does I would swap it out for something less vicious like an eye bolt with smooth surfaces.

And so the evolution of your solution begins- they do talk back to you if you listen. Keep listening and they keep getting better.

lforto20 said:
...I'm not quite ready to plunge (financially) into solar quite yet.

I spent a little more than a year working on my solar setup. I purchased parts and supplies when I had the money. I worked on the installation when I had the time. I found that the large purchases were easy to plan for. I would save up until I could afford to buy X item, then make the purchase. A few months later, I'd have the money for the next item. It was the little things, nuts, bolts, etcetera that were difficult to budget for. I including a breakdown of my expenses in my build thread. After looking it over, I realized that if I had made different choices I could have cut the cost of my system in half, but I probably would not have been as happy with the finished product. There was a nine month gap between purchasing the first component and beginning my installation. Even when I started working on the installation, it took me the better part of three months to finish because my time was limited. A couple hours here and there was all I could spare as my work schedule permitted.

Before I began purchasing parts, I researched. I spent a lot of my free time learning everything I could about solar power systems. I found this site to be an invaluable resource in my research, but by no means the only one. I had an advantage in that I am a stage electrician, with thirty years of working on lighting and electrical systems in the theatre industry. I don't know your background, but you seem to be intelligent and capable, plus it would seem you have family who are willing to help with your setup. If you're willing to take the time to research solar installations, you'll be able to learn what you need to know to do your own installation. Alternately, you may decide that hiring a professional installer is a better option. Either way, you'll know when you're ready to begin the process.

swlands said:
You are on the way!

I see a screw in that bed leg that has a bungee hooked over it. That screw head is sharp and I could see it ripping the bedding or you as you pull stuff in and out. If that is all it does I would swap it out for something less vicious like an eye bolt with smooth surfaces.

And so the evolution of your solution begins- they do talk back to you if you listen. Keep listening and they keep getting better.

I appreciate the thought! I actually did the bungee to keep everything on the bed while I was driving with the windows down, but have since taken those back screws out and changed the front screws to be eye hooks. So that was an excellent idea! I just don't have a more recent photo, I had to take stuff out so we could do the electrical. Hopefully I'll be organizing by the end of the week!

sephson said:
I spent a little more than a year working on my solar setup. I purchased parts and supplies when I had the money. I worked on the installation when I had the time. I found that the large purchases were easy to plan for. I would save up until I could afford to buy X item, then make the purchase. A few months later, I'd have the money for the next item. It was the little things, nuts, bolts, etcetera that were difficult to budget for. I including a breakdown of my expenses in my build thread. After looking it over, I realized that if I had made different choices I could have cut the cost of my system in half, but I probably would not have been as happy with the finished product. There was a nine month gap between purchasing the first component and beginning my installation. Even when I started working on the installation, it took me the better part of three months to finish because my time was limited. A couple hours here and there was all I could spare as my work schedule permitted.

Before I began purchasing parts, I researched. I spent a lot of my free time learning everything I could about solar power systems. I found this site to be an invaluable resource in my research, but by no means the only one. I had an advantage in that I am a stage electrician, with thirty years of working on lighting and electrical systems in the theatre industry. I don't know your background, but you seem to be intelligent and capable, plus it would seem you have family who are willing to help with your setup. If you're willing to take the time to research solar installations, you'll be able to learn what you need to know to do your own installation. Alternately, you may decide that hiring a professional installer is a better option. Either way, you'll know when you're ready to begin the process.

I am definitely all for the research. Doing research played a major role in my degree so at least that is serving a purpose even if my degree isn't at this time (whomp whomp). Electrical is just so intimidating when you have literally no knowledge beyond the basic that everyone knows.