Subaru roof tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTalk00

Reaction score
At the Subaru dealer this morning. Pretty cool roof tent. See the image. And only $4000!

Here's the image - didn't come across using my smartphone.

Hope you realize I'm being facetious.  Imagine $4000 for a tent!

(Hmmm ... image not attaching from my laptop either.  Can we not do this anymore?)

as someone who just got back from tent camping last week in
our subaru, we would have been in mucho trouble if we had to
take the tent down everytime we needed to drive somewhere in
our car ;)

Hmm tent or bunch of off-road lights on my roof with a spare, I digress spare tire and lights on the roof for future expenditures.
Now where do we put that handy ladder in the picture on the link?

Attachments

• CB4FDB4C-CF2A-462A-B7B8-156794E0BA77.jpeg
    CB4FDB4C-CF2A-462A-B7B8-156794E0BA77.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 9
My brother is looking into this for his impending Honda Ridgeline purchase. Doesn't look like as good an idea as a simple shell on the back of his truck.

roof top tents are made for people who drive all day and set up camp for one night. the next morning they break camp and drive all day again. they aren't meant for a base camp type of set up. you know weekend warriors. highdesertranger

BrooklynGalTravels said:
I have a Subaru and I was looking into motorcycle pop up trailers. Light enough to tow and open up to
A pretty nice size.

For towing behind a small car or small SUV, I would recommend a tear-drop type camping trailer. Most motorcycle pop-up tent trailers are small enough that they pretty much disappear behind a typical SUV...if you cant see that thing back there it will be impossible to back up. Yeah you can install markers on poles or backup cameras...which might help.

If you really want one, look for the larger ones...but they wont be cheap...also make sure it has the standard hitch ball coupler and not the swivel hitch.

We had one of those on our Rambler Classic station wagon when I was twelve. A large bear attempted to pull me out of it at the campground on Mount Rainier.  They are just the right height for a large bear to stick his head into.     ~crofter

No doubt you smelled like s'mores, hot dogs and potato chips :)

crofter said:
We had one of those on our Rambler Classic station wagon when I was twelve. A large bear attempted to pull me out of it at the campground on Mount Rainier.  They are just the right height for a large bear to stick his head into.     ~crofter

sounds like the Back Country movie, which I loved. This sounds terrifying.  What was the result? (Obviously you're alive.)  But  ... otherwise .. this sounds like an amazing story.

Dingfelder said:
an amazing story.
My brother saved me by banging pots and pans and luring the bear away with all our food. I can still remember him running around in the moonlight banging those pots and pans. Half the camp was lined up there when I climbed out of that tent covered with bear spit. Talk about needing a shower.    ~crofter