stupid question, 'nameplate amps'?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinker

Reaction score
is that just the number of amps drawn per hour?<br />a max, min, or average draw?<br />a start up draw?<br /><br />

use an energy monitor such as the Kill-A-Watt to measure its energy draw. Plug the energy monitor into the outlet, then plug the appliance into the monitor.
<br /><br />These are really handy devices,<br /> I still use mine alot, (after 7 years of use) they also keep track of the kwh over time, will tell you the actual voltage coming in,&nbsp; and have a timer built in,&nbsp; sort of like a data logger.<br />Worth having<br /><br />In some instances the actual wattage used is different than what is indicated on the tag..<br /><br />Putz

There are no stupid questions here...just answered ones.

An amp is a rate unit, batteries are rated in amp-hours.&nbsp; Confusing the two units makes as much sense as calling a mile-per-hour a mile.&nbsp; You need to know the voltage to figure out how much power is consumed, and as others have stated the nameplate usually states the maximum rather than the average.

ok, thanks. so, if i have this right, and i doubt i do,<br />an ac unit with 5.8 nameplate amps operating on 110v pulls 638 watts. (assuming a full draw)<br />on a 12 volt system with an inverter, it pulls 53 amps?<br />so on a charged 110 Ah bat you could run the thing for 1 hour.