Strongly considering 10 to 20 acres in E. WA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
We are legal residents of Washington, having lived on the western side for 20 years.  We sold our house last year but since no other state can claim us, we are still registered and domiciled here.

We want to continue traveling and boondocking but we need a place to occasionally spread out for several months and the RV parks are just not doing it for us.   Even the spread out ones are way too close for my enjoyment.  I want to drop the pods off of the truck, do some metal working, and not really worry about having to move until I feel like moving.   We also want to do some winter camping since we designed our camper for that but the truck is not really winter snow capable with the pods on it (just a bit too heavy for my comfort).  If I drop the pods under a simple pole barn we could haul snow mobiles on the truck flatbed.  The insulated living pod would likely be quite comfortable with its propane furnace and I could get a 100 gallon tank.  I figure the pole barn would keep the snow off the pod and be under the 200 or 400 sq ft that does not require any permit in eastern Washington counties.

So I am looking for road accessible cheap raw land and it seems to be available for $1000 an acre or so in 20 acre parcels.  Probably can offer even less since some have been on the market for 2+ years.  Likely cheap because it is very hard to get utilities in but we don't need to build a house.  We travel in our house.   We boondock with about 40 gallons of water use a week, so if I bring in a 250 gallon tank on the flatbed, it is good for a month at least.   This is if I don't manage a catchment.   I would haul out waste.

It would not be long term except the one winter we do as an experiment.   Most times we would come back once or twice a year and spend a month or so.   Very unlikely to get in trouble with the counties as they seem to be unable to deal with a local person who has nine RVs on their property and illegally rents them out.  They have sent them a notice every other year but claim that is about all they can do.  Unlikely that such lax policies would ever flag a single RV on 20 remote acres who is not permanently staying there.

The money seems to work out.   $20k 20 acre parcels have about $130 a year in property tax.  The opportunity cost of $20k invested in a 2% CD is $400.   So essentially the land would cost us $530 a year for a 20 acre private RV site with no hookups.  Yes we might be able to illegally stay on BLM land in Washington longer than 14 days but I don't think we would be allowed to build a pole barn to shelter the pods.

Opinions?

Your 20 acre plan makes sense to me. A home base and an investment on a small scale. Would winter access be a problem? I had a bit of land in Montana and it was seasonal use only unless I wanted to stay the winter and use a snow machine for the 35 miles to town.

Hope things work for you.

Rob

CLIMATE OVERVIEW
Sounds like a decent enough area...

Spokane, Washington, gets 16 inches of rain per year. The US average is 39. Snowfall is 45 inches. The average US city gets 26 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 51.

On average, there are 171 sunny days per year in Spokane, Washington. The July high is around 84 degrees. The January low is 25. 

Sperling's comfort index for Spokane is a 70 out of 100, where a higher score indicates a more comfortable year-around climate. The US average for the comfort index is 54. Our index is based on the total number of days annually within the comfort range of 70-80 degrees, and we also applied a penalty for days of excessive humidity.

I say if you can afford it then why not do it? Seems like you've already thought out a well laid plan for using it, you like the area it's in then absolutely go for it. I think no matter how much time I eventually spend on the road, i'll at the very least always want a few acres to retreat to when the mood strikes. Not much better feeling than owning your own piece of dirt with no rules attached. (assuming you don't buy something that's part of some draconian association)

Sounds wonderful, but check with the county for restrictions. I know nothing about WA, but I know with some counties in KS and AZ, zoning/codes blocked our plans. Never, ever take the realtors word on what is allowed as I saw tragic and expensive mistakes happen when that was done.

sounds like a great plan. follow your heart. just make sure you can do what you want to do. good luck. highdesertranger

My biggest problem is once I start building something I just keep building till I run out of space. I can see the pole barn becoming a tool shed, then a work shop, then a laundry room/bathroom, then some place for visiting kids to sleep, and on and on. Eventually becomes storage with so much stuff I would be worried about security if I left it. Have you checked out an Escapees park with a workshop. You can do long term stays there or boondock close by maybe. Rent a garage with parking. My 20 acres would soon become a house or RV park and require more time getting ready to do projects than doing the projects!

Not enough sun here for me, even in eastern WA. Good luck in your search though. If my family wasn't scattered in various states I was considering Oregon.

IGBT: "Very unlikely to get in trouble with the counties as they seem to be unable to deal with a local person who has nine RVs on their property and illegally rents them out."

Questions: Does that person have a LEGAL home on the property? Or are they living in an RV also? If they do have a legal home, the rest may fall into a gray area. Try to find EXACTLY what the laws are for what you want.

And SnowGypsy is on the money about trusting realtors -- they want the money and will tell you anything to get it. Go to the people who know -- everything else is just hot air.