Strangest breakdowns

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD GUMBEE

Reaction score
sitting on a river-bridge playing the banjo...
We have all blown a tire or radiator hose.
Lost a transmission or had an alternator stop charging.
But what about the breakdowns you would have...could have...never seen coming?

What was the strangest thing that ever left you beside the road or unable to move to the next stop?

1)  I was in my class-A in Salt Lake City - stopped at a Flying-J for fuel.  When I tried to start my rig - nada.  Turns out that the starter relay had to be replaced.  But - I guess that breaking down at a truck stop was about as good of a place to have that happen as any because the folks working in the store knew how to get to diesel mobile repair folks. 

2)  I was again in my class-A near Austin when I started having electrical issues.  I contacted my roadside assistance folks for a tow to a repair shop.  The next day the folks at the repair shop told me that they had resolved the problem.  But then they asked me where the drive shaft was.  It turned out that the tow company had to disconnect the drive shaft to tow the rig and apparently lost it in route to the repair shop.  

I no longer have the class-A.

LWas in my E-150 van, headed back to my home base from a long trip, driving on a back road far from anywhere.  Nearest town was 40 miles away.  "Bam bam bam bam!!"  Thought it was a blow out.  Moved onto the narrow shoulder, noticed brakes were almost nonexistent.  Tires were fine.  Pulled into the parking lot of a vacant commercial building and called AAA.

After three hours of searching for an available tow truck, they sent a non-AAA truck for me and when they called to say he was on the way, the rep said, "I'm really sorry, the nearest AAA shop is in *******, 82 miles away.  That's where they have to take you."  It was very near my home!!  So I called my son-in-law when we got there and he picked me up and took me home, a 15 minute drive.  

Turned out it was a wheel bearing, just blew.  It had been replaced with new less than three months before.  Called the shop that had done the work, they sent another tow truck to have it taken to their shop, replaced the bearings, and all done.  Whole thing cost me nothing but a few hours.

I had a tire blowout in downtown Atlanta one day, during rush hour.

It was interesting to change it with a million cars flying by.

drive shaft literally fell out (front end). fortunately not on highway at the time.

This happened in my first car, a 1976 Ford Granada. While driving home from school, the muffler dropped down and started dragging on the ground. Fortunately, it was just a broken strap and other than a few scratches, there was no damage to the muffler or the exhaust system. It took less than 15 minutes to repair.

More recently, roughly two years ago, the Kia Soul I'm driving now wouldn't start one morning. I thought it was a bad starter motor. After trying and failing to start the car for about fifteen minutes, I called a tow truck to take it to the mechanic. When the tow truck arrived, the car started right up after only brief struggle. I still took it to the mechanic and had them look it over to see if they could find anything wrong. Nothing! So my starter motor fixed itself. Fortunately, my mechanic didn't even charge me for the time they spent looking over the car.

1st incident Had a '65 Impala and it suddenly began losing power and I pulled off to the side. I sat there and then had a tow truck come up and ask me if I wanted a tow. I agreed to the price and they hauled me to the garage. They opened the hood and then said "Did you know you fried your alternator?" I said "No, but it did act funny 2 days ago while driving to work, all power died briefly then it all came back"

"You battery was supplying the power then, the alternator was dead"

"Oh?...OK, How much for repairs?" Paid it and learned a lesson of electricity....

2nd incident 1974 Gran Prix ...Dropped a driveshaft at 35 mph. Dropped from the tranny and the car rear pole vaulted 4 feet in the air, snapping the shaft and just about having me fill my pants and more. pulled off to the side, then walked 200' back for drive shaft. Had it towed home and then junked it out.

Hi everyone.  I mostly boondock and wonder what if my car breaks down in the middle of no where.  Any suggestions for a service that would locate me on a forest road and get me out?  I don't think AAA could get to where I go.

some tow companies specialize in remote off road towing. you better have a fat wallet. it depends on what area you are in as to if there are any around. did I mention the need for a fat wallet? highdesertranger

My mom had a new transmission installed in Lexus. The following day after picking up her vehicle, I took her for an overnight to a 70 mile away campground. Nearly there, Lexus steering became incredibly difficult & I could hardly turn steering wheel and I'm strong. After returning to her home next day I took it back to her repair shop, turned out they'd nicked the power steering steel tubing & vehicle lost p.s. fluid. They argued, I argued, they soon admitted it was their error based on their overall condition noted on drop off for specific repairs. They repaired it at their cost. 

Moral: Don't go far away for a few days after any repairs. Test it out & then go.

JD GUMBEE said:
We have all blown a tire or radiator hose.
Lost a transmission or had an alternator stop charging.

But what about the breakdowns you would have...could have...never seen coming?

What was the strangest thing that ever left you beside the road or unable to move to the next stop?
Thankfully never a blown tire, nor radiator hose.
Thankfully never lost the transmission, nor had alternator stop charging.

Breakdown:
other than getting T-boned :exclamation: several times: 1st. time took out the driver's door, tho I survived.
(Huge service van ran Red light).
Nine yrs. later one of too many pedophiles stole an (Army tank-like) Ford truck, no license as a sex-offender, & therefore no Registration, nor Insurance, & no less in this fairly quiet residential neighborhood (as he had done for over a decade) was clocked on video racing... near 45 mph on impact. - After the van got done spinning, & I managed to miss 4 giant Evergreens *very obviously yet Another! miracle*, the passenger's side of the van was history, as witnessed by 7 neighbors whose properties were all involved in various ways. He was written a $1700 ticket, & sent on his way...
Apparently that didn't bring him to his senses, as shortly thereafter for an even more deadly crime he ended up in prison.

Other breakdowns in between there, but this is already too long of a report. Forgive me.

I got a strange one for you. And not just an unusual mechanical breakdown.

10 yes ago or so, I was tooling down the dirt road into town. I'm in my 78 f150 4x4 with an automatic. This is my regular route, I'm doing 45/50 or so just rumbling along like everyday for the last several years. Roads are dry, sky is clear, not another rig in sight. All of a sudden and in the blink of an eye, i hear a little clunk, i feel a little lurch and my rig come sliding to an abrupt halt!

I put her in park and shut her down. As i slid out of the cab and turned to look at my truck i experienced the most WTF? moment. I stood there scratching my head looking at my left rear 36 inch tall mud tire  mysteriously suspended in the air 3 or 4 inches off the ground! When i looked under my rig i saw a rusty steel bar about 4 or 5 feet long  one end was all twisted up in the parking brake cable and had caused the parking brakes to lock up. and the other end was acting as a ski, having lifted the truck up so that left rear was off the ground. Following the skid marks back I saw a divot in the road where that chunk of steel had been buried!

Best I can figure is the tip of that bar was sticking up slightly and as my front tire rolled over it, it kicked up got tangled in the brake cable, twisted around and levered the truck up as it became a ski!

Fortunately I had a big hi-lift jack with me because I had to jack the back of the truck up another almost 3 ft to take enough pressure off that bar that I was able to wrestle it out. The brake cable had a permanent corkscrew in it from wrapping around that bar and I couldn't get the left side parking brake to release so I had to cut the brake cable right next to the drum to get it to release so I could get back on the road.

And that was about the strangest break down I can recall. Unless you count that time with the aliens in the Mojave desert. But that's a story for another time and a different website... :)

I parked in a parking lot to eat, shut the car off and turned off the headlight switch. 30 minutes later, went to leave and found I had a dead battery. Got out and saw the headlights and taillights were still on. Headlight switch had no effect on the headlights.

I was driving up a mountain pass and my little old 240z started to lose power. Then smoke started pouring out from the hood. I pulled over, popped the hood, and saw my battery had fallen off the little shelf thing and the positive terminal was resting against the dip stick. The stick was red hot and the rubber stopper thing was on fire. I moved the battery, used a glove to put out the fire, and went on my way. That's the last time I let someone replace my battery tie down without double checking it.

Also one time I was driving and the stick shift came off in my hand. The previous owner had not properly installed the pin keeping it in place.

I was living at Saline Valley all winter long and using my 68 Dune Buggy (built on a 59 VW frame) as a supply runner into Bishop, it was the only vehicle that could get thru the passes during deep winter, wrapped and actual chain around the rear rims and it floated over the top of the snow it was so light, so the 3-4ft snow drifts where not a problem. The lack of no heater was tho. I had two major breakdowns with it.

1) The rear axle stripped out in the hub, so car wouldn't move, had them weld on the cast iron drum to the axle, don't ask me how but they did it!

2) Hit a huge chunk of ice on the north pass that ripped out the hydraulic brake line, being single master cylinder I lost all brakes, of course the ebrake didn't work. Car went hauling azz down the mountains with no way to stop it, told my brother to get ready to jump but I tried one last thing, shut the engine off, jammed the shifter into reverse, started up the engine and then feathered the clutch to get the car to slow down.
.facebook_1520405796623.jpg
Here is a call box at Saline Valley, funny to see one since there is no electricity around for many miles. It had a Styrofoam cup and a string attached lol.
.facebook_1520406366101 (2).jpg

I also had a 65 Dodge Dart convertible when I was a teenager, it was running on 4 of its 6 cylinders, the muffler had fallen off so the exhaust ended about midway on the car.  The rear floorboard was gone due to rust. Well running on 4 cylinders the car backfired and popped a lot because of the unburnt fuel from the other 2 cylinders. One backfire caught the rear seat of the car on fire (because of the hole in the rear floorboard).  So being an unwise teenager and not wanting my 65 Dodge to burn to the ground I drove it to 2 blocks to the nearest place I knew had water, a local gas station! Back then the water fill for the radiator was located on the island with the pumps, so I pulled a flaming dodge dart up to the gas pump and used the radiator water fill to slowly put out the fire, as those radiator water fill hoses had a really slow water flow rate. Crazy stupid thing to do, but I was a teenager.

Same old Dodge Dart, car lost its brakes going down a small side street at 25 mph, of course, no working emergency brake, single master cylinder car. I jammed the shifter into park, but the pin wouldn't catch at that speed, so I opened the door and stood/slid on both feet trying to stop car while holding the steering wheel. The car was convertible so I could do this. Well after about 50 feet of this, the park pin finally caught and I slammed into the windshield.

POS Dart again, did I mention the car looked nice but was completely rusted out on the frame and body? My friends used to come up and poke on the car and you could put your finger through almost any portion of the body, only the paint was still holding the metal there, used to piss me off when my friends poked at my car. Anyways, I was entering a driveway kind of fast, and the torsion bars ripped through the rusted out frame, slamming the front suspension way down. The car got stuck on the driveway entrance, and the slant 6 running on 4 cylinders was not strong enough to unstick it.

There was the time I rolled a front subframe with wheels from high school auto shop to my house (walking it down the city streets) to replace a frame on my 67 Firebird that I bent driving over a 3 foot concrete retaining wall...

Saline Valley again, my 69 class A RV; which if you know Saline Valley is crazy a class A RV was there to begin with; my battery box ripped off and i ran over my batteries, which happened to be both starting and house combined, RV was still running, I didn't shut it off and there is nothing around for hours, no tow truck is going to get a class A out there. Well, I drove over to an old mining camp and grabbed a pair of ancient Trojan 6volts from an old tractor and hooked them up. Lol those Trojans worked for years after that!

Attachments

• .facebook_1520405796623.jpg
    .facebook_1520405796623.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 14
  • .facebook_1520406366101 (2).jpg
    .facebook_1520406366101 (2).jpg
    276 KB · Views: 16
I remember Bob addressing this in a video but can't find it. There is a company you pay a yearly fee to like AAA. Does anyone know of a company that covers more then AZ? Or even western US?

No sure it was the strangest, but, I left a single axle trailer in the center divider on I-10 just outside of El Paso. I was hauling my 34 Ford on an old single axle race car trailer with the axle welded to the frame to keep it low. I guess the welds let go and the axle twisted under the trailer and tried to buck off the 34. Somehow, the trailer stayed upright and I pulled into the center divider. The trailer was beyond repair, so I pulled of the plate, the 1 good tire and unloaded the 34 and we continued our journey to San Diego. 
I don't have a picture of the 34 on the trailer, but, here it sets with the race car. 

Also, one year many moons ago, I was tooling along in my 66 charger when the driveshaft departed. Found it, but it was bent beyond fix. Off the highway was a movie theater and I slid under another 66 dodge in the parking lot and (ahem) borrowed a driveshaft. Not my finest hour.

Attachments

• 69 mustang.jpg
    69 mustang.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 8
Speaking about leaving that trailer, I have to tell you that I absolutely hate to give up on anything. A perfect example is the old rusty 54 Plymouth I had. The frame had broke and sheared the brake line, but, timing the stops on the old mountain road, I could downshift and bang along the snowbank to slow down and jam it in reverse to stop. Also, the gas tank straps had rotted and when the tank fell out, I simply stuck it in the truck and poked a hole through the rust to run the gas line. Nothing like wheeling up to Ralph Colburns Conoco station, popping the truck and saying "fill er up".  :D  Of course, the door didn't shut anymore and the back window was broke out, so snow had a tendency to swirl around inside the car, and one fender had rusted away and fallen off, but none of that stopped a young pup with a girlfriend waiting for me.   :)
I was a bit hot tempered in my youth (that should explain the broken back window and smashed out headlight), but, that old flathead six never let me down. It was still running when spring time (aka mud season) came and I no longer had snowbanks to help whoa her up. She made a great lawn ornament until I finally left for the army and I guess the family junked her.

Attachments

• the 54.jpg
    the 54.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 12
going to work one morning 4am and a 66 mile drive tail pipe broke at catalytic converter bent backwards and was dragging on pavement. stoped at two all nigh truck repair shops but they refused to cut it off. so I chose to keep going because this was two and a half over time pay as we were rebuilding a machine an working 7 days a week 12 hours a day. so it was still dark and I had about 40 miles to go. I was leaving a rouster tail  about 20 feet in the air. it was sure fun to watch the cars behind me when they realized what was happing. some puled over some sped up and passed some fell way back.