Strange Metal Pointy Headed Critter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:huh:  It's some kind of smooth sided slightly conical lock nut thingy.  It's screwed on to the top of the threaded rod that is part of my propane tank holder system.  Looking at it from the top it looks like some kind of 6 sided tool needs to fit down into it within the exterior walls of the "nut".  I can't remove the tanks and it also stops me from removing the steel cables that secure the 2 jerri cans that sit on either side of the tanks.  It's all secured to the front tongue rack on my trailer.

Yes pictures would be nice.  If I ever figure out how to take and post them I can start my solar build thread among other things as well.

If anyone one has an idea about this strange metal critter please let me know.  Channel locs and wrenches slide right off as it's round and smooth on the outside and slopes inward from the bottom to the top.  I know I'm not strong enough to remove the complete threaded rod even if it can be done.

Jewellann

While I don't know what it is my question is are you close to a propane dealer? What type of vehicle and I will try and get a picture of what you are looking at.. Rob

DSCF5125.jpg

dual_propane.jpg

Anything in these?

Attachments

• DSCF5125.jpg
    DSCF5125.jpg
    34 KB
  • dual_propane.jpg
    dual_propane.jpg
    65.4 KB
Get a hack saw, cut the threaded rod.
Buy new threaded rod, recreate tank hold down system without the stupid nut.

Dave

Does it look like this?

th

How about the one in the center of the bottom of the photo found here: http://wiki.dtonline.org/index.php/Nuts,_Bolts_and_Washers#Masonry_Fixings

I'd venture a guess that it's meant to require a less common or specialty tool so that it's not so easy for others to remove the tanks---so if you plan to reuse that storage for the tanks it might be good to get the tool rather than change the fittings.

Gunny said:
Anything in these?

Yes, it's on top of the rod that is vertical between the 2 tanks shown in the bottom photo

djkeev said:
Get a hack saw, cut the threaded rod.
Buy new threaded rod, recreate tank hold down system without the stupid nut.

Dave

May need to do that if all else fails

DrJean said:
Does it look like this?

th

No, but Thanks anyway

anewbiewannabe said:
How about the one in the center of the bottom of the photo found here: http://wiki.dtonline.org/index.php/Nuts,_Bolts_and_Washers#Masonry_Fixings

I'd venture a guess that it's meant to require a less common or specialty tool so that it's not so easy for others to remove the tanks---so if you plan to reuse that storage for the tanks it might be good to get the tool rather than change the fittings.

The inside is similar to it, with six points

highdesertranger said:
what you are describing sounds like a lock nut similar to a lug nut lock.  does it look something like this,   https://www.ecstuning.com/b-taper-p...675040f~tap/?gclid=CLum-YCgk9ACFY4AaQodc3kJew .  highdesertranger

The  inside of the nut has a solid center with a 6 point star around the center, then a metal outside.

************************************************************************************

Thank you everyone for responding.  After posting this thread Queenie and I went to Wally World to see what we could see.  Checked in Automotive and Hardware and tools.  Talked to a guy there and he said it sounds like a locking lug nut.  I think that may be it from what some of you guys have posted.  Tomorrow I'll take a picture and check out the auto parts stores.  If I was in Big D or Ft Worth there would probably at least one open all night.  Monday I'll try a propane place and a RV dealer, both within a few miles.

This metal critter is on My Aliner.  Today I got it opened up in it's new covered storage home gave it a good cleaning and DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE IT. 

Someone came by and took the lock off of the outside storage access door for me as I had no key for it.  Sooo I learned something new today the lock is called a "cam" lock,  also how to take it off the door and apart, and replace it.  They are at Lowe's for $5. 

I also learned that you need to be real slender because if you push the wrong lever on the door lock of the trailer and close it the key will not unlock it!  Not me, my helper done it!  I went to get the xtra set of keys out of the Ranger to see if I had the wrong key and when I turned around there was half of a guys butt, 2 legs and feets a stickin" out of the outside storage door! Well at least he on a pair of shorts.  And a fun time was had by one and all.  Damn I wish I'd gotten a picture of that   :D

Jewellann and Fat Possum

I'm guessing a simple acorn nut??

Dave

If it is some kind of locking wheel nut, it's possible it's part of a set.  Take a look at the trailer's wheels and see if one might be on them, too.

I'd go through every drawer, storage compartment, and nook and cranny in that trailer, it's possible the tool for removing and installing these nuts is in there somewhere.

This is getting good.  20 questions for the parts geeks.   :cool:

Just remember, Everything is only parts, and you can change parts.   :heart:

If you have locking lug nuts you need taken off and don't have the tool, drive to a few tire shops and offer up $10 to a worker if they can take them off for you. most of the places have a ton of them around. been there done that years ago.

Whatever it is, just don't be too quick to replace it with something that is simple to take off. If it's simple for you, it's simple for the guy who is outside your van at 2 a.m.

djkeev said:
Torx barrel camtainer nut?

Dave

Close but I think the center is on mine is smaller.    TJB

Optimistic Paranoid said:
If it is some kind of locking wheel nut, it's possible it's part of a set.  Take a look at the trailer's wheels and see if one might be on them, too.

I'd go through every drawer, storage compartment, and nook and cranny in that trailer, it's possible the tool for removing and installing these nuts is in there somewhere.

Good idea about checking the wheels, also I remember a small socket laying loose in a storage compartment while I was Cleaning yesterday.  I just pitched it into a tray of tools/sockets I'd taken to leave in Aliner.  I think it's to small, however I'll give it a look see shortly.   TJB
firebob said:
If you have locking lug nuts you need taken off and don't have the tool, drive to a few tire shops and offer up $10 to a worker if they can take them off for you.  most of the places have a ton of them around.  been there done that years ago.

It may come to that.  I hope not because I'd have to fold down the Aliner and secure everything just to move a few miles and back.     TJB

TrainChaser said:
Whatever it is, just don't be too quick to replace it with something that is simple to take off.  If it's simple for you, it's simple for the guy who is outside your van at 2 a.m.

My thoughts exactly.  I hope to buy a "key' to remove it.  Then I'll be able to remove the propane as needed and also the 2x5gal jeri cans.     TJB

ArtW said:

If nothing else happens today I sure have increased my vocabulary of little pointy metal headed thingys  :D

Thanks again to everyone.......Jewellann

GotSmart said:
This is getting good.  20 questions for the parts geeks.   :cool:

Just remember, Everything is only parts, and you can change parts.   :heart:

You are so right!  I have several parts I'd like to change.  Especially the "parts" that caused my blood sugar to be  405 to 450 this am.  I'll have to start with my right hand and arm that kept putting that chocolate candy in my mouth last night   :s :huh: :-/ and that's a nother thang     :angel:   I've never learned when to keep my mouth shut even tho I've been told to on more than one occasion.  Usually the request isn't repeated....by the same person anyways  :D  Queenie and I are need to runn oft to the auto parts stores.

Jewellann

PS How's Tigger doing?

Glad you're getting an idea what it is.
There are hundreds? of types of those lock nuts.
If you can't find the mate unlock tool in the rig somewhere it will be like a needle in a haystack job to locate the correct one. Finding a replacement one with a matching tool will be far easier.
Good luck to you !
The only "universal" removal tool may end up being vise grips or maybe tac welding a regular nut to it !

Maybe you could persuade your helper to recreate the "creative entry" for photographic purposes ????

Ok that looks like the underside... a star washer... and holding it still and turning the top doesn't work? If you don't have a tool to hold it, try your local airplane mechanic?

Latest posts