Stranded in Quartzsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me clear up what I said about Dave not Doug. I was thinking that Doug's name was Dave. So, I thought I was dealing with two Dave's. The real Dave showed up in the morning with the parts needed to get thing to roll again. I was thinking he was the other Dave. I said wow, you got the parts too? I'm waiting for the other Dave to get here because he told me he's also bringing parts. So, it went on and on until Dave asked me to see the text from the other Dave. When he saw it, he realized that the text was from him. So, if you're actually able to follow this so far, I was waiting for the guy who was standing right next to me because I was thinking Doug's name was Dave. The 60's were rough on me

Hahaha. That’s what we get for being born around that timeframe.

So are you staying in Q? Some of us are in la Posa South

MotorVation said:
Let me clear up what I said about Dave not Doug. I was thinking that Doug's name was Dave. So, I thought I was dealing with two Dave's. The real Dave showed up in the morning with the parts needed to get thing to roll again. I was thinking he was the other Dave. I said wow, you got the parts too? I'm waiting for the other Dave to get here because he told me he's also bringing parts. So, it went on and on until Dave asked me to see the text from the other Dave. When he saw it, he realized that the text was from him. So, if you're actually able to follow this so far, I was waiting for the guy who was standing right next to me because I was thinking Doug's name was Dave. The 60's were rough on me

OMG......and I was Texting you.......

If you can Remember the 60's then you did something WRONG

Kudos to VanManDave for making it happen..........I met Dave [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]at Craggy Wash[/font] just before Jamies Van Build in 2018....class act

^^^Visited at Bullfrog a few years ago I believe, he didn’t kill anybody! Lol!!!

I'm at Keith's camp out on Dome Rock BLM. The real Dave and Nichole took off today but they may be back. I'll be here at least as long till the van's roadworthy. Just looking for some chicken poo parts for Keith to finish it up. A lousy washer can really screw your day up when you can't find one. Keith may have tracked one down by now but we're gonna try to deal with it tomorrow. I've been searching online for at least two hours straight. 
My van has the 4000 lb front axle and all the parts I've checked are specifically excluding that axle. Bummer. 

When I'm mobile again I'll probably visit the LTVA. I haven't checked it out yet. Thanks.

Also, if anyone wants to stop by or even camp with us, you're welcome to. Keith's permit is good till the 2nd of next month. The cell signal is great here. Today I was getting 5mps up and down on Visible

Thanks

Edited to add: I plan on sticking around Quartzsite or nearby areas in the low desert as long as the weather permits.

(sound of gentle knocking on door)

knock knock knock

who is it?

(whispering) Dave, its me man, open up I got the stuff...

Who?

(whispering) Its me Dave, open up I got the stuff..

Who?

(whispering a bit louder) It's ME DAVE! Cmon Open UP I got the stuff...

WHO? DAVE?

(speaking loudly) Yeah man its me DAVE! OPEN UP I GOT STUFF!

DAVE? DAVE?  

DAVE'S NOT HERE!

-----------------------

But by golly DOUG IS!

:D

;) Dave’s not here:

Thanks for the Kudos y’all but Keith ( Roadrunner55 ). is the real hero here. Best mechanic I’ve seen in a Loooong time! I just brought in some parts and was happy to assist and learn from Keith.

We’re real fond of you guys we meet from the forum ( Bullfrog, Abnorm, YARC colleagues, et al...) appreciate every one of you. Love to see the way we help take care of the community.

tx2sturgis said:
(sound of gentle knocking on door)

knock knock knock

who is it?

(whispering) Dave, its me man, open up I got the stuff...

Who?

(whispering) Its me Dave, open up I got the stuff..

Who?

(whispering a bit louder) It's ME DAVE! Cmon Open UP I got the stuff...

WHO? DAVE?

(speaking loudly) Yeah man its me DAVE! OPEN UP I GOT STUFF!

DAVE? DAVE?  

DAVE'S NOT HERE!

-----------------------

But by golly DOUG IS!

:D
Good one Tex

A little update and a plug for a local welder. Keith and I weren't able to locate all the parts to finish the job on my spindle. We did get lucky with the bearings, (thanks The Real Dave) the grease seals and dust caps. Amber at the Napa in Blythe went way out of her way to order in the dust caps as they weren't stock parts. She looked them up by dimensions and that's some work she could have gotten away without doing.

There are two washers (one on each axle) with a tab on them that help hold the bearings in. When I fried everything on that spindle it wore off the tab on on the washer for that side. Couldn't find the part anywhere. We took the washer to the welder next to the laundromat in Ehrenberg and he fabricated a tab back on to it. Yesterday, we stopped there and asked him if he could do it but we didn't have the good washer from the other spindle with us to use as a template. We came back today and he did the job on the spot. It came out perfect. His name is Julio. That tiny little job isn't going to change his lifestyle a bit. I consider it more as a favor and he also handed back part of the money I paid him. Good dude.

If the wind is blowing in the right direction tomorrow, the van should be back on the road which may restore some of my sanity.

Keith has been driving me around picking up parts and is also going to finish the repair. You don't come across people like that everyday

TA DAH! The Big White Piece of S**T is back on the road complete with new front wheel bearings, races and brake pads on both sides. Because of the 4000 lb front axle it was hard to find the right parts. You can find parts for the 3600 lb axle all day. It's only a 2002 and there are plenty of these vans still on the road so I didn't expect to run into these problems. That welder in Ehrenberg saved the day as far as fabricating that washer. His name is Julio and he's right next door to the laundromat. I think he calls it The Weld Shop. Easy enough to get his info with a search.

I want to thank Roadrunner55 (Keith) Vanman Dave and his lady Nichole and last but not least Abnorm (Doug). For all the help without which, I would have been in a much bigger mess than I was in

Thanks. It felt good to go get propane today under my own power. Nah, it felt GREAT

Here's some more drama. Keith (Roadrunner 55) insisted on doing the passenger side also. When the hub came off, the bearings were packed, if you can call it that, in brownish goop and the bearings were rusty. All new bearings and races, pads on that side too. It wouldn't have taken many more miles to burn that axle up.

BTW, Julio from the Weld Shop in Ehrenberg is mobile also.
He can come to you. Nice rig. He's got a newer one ton diesel Ram equipped with all he needs to weld on the road. He's right next to the Laundromat Mall in Ehrenberg.