Stranded in Quartzsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorVation

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a repair shop or mobile mechanic in Quartzsite.

I thought I broke a brake pad or clip on the driver side front. I ordered new pads off Amazon. They're here but BCM is closed and that's where the pads are. 

So, on the way here that wheel was making a hell of a racket on I-10 but I managed to get the van here to BCM (not knowing they close early on Saturday). I figured I'd pull the wheel and take a look to see if there was anything I could rig temporarily. I got the wheel off and discovered that the outer bearing is toast and I doubt the inner is any better. I can shake the hub. The people who run this place aren't around and I don't know if I can stay here overnight.

I'm afraid to drive it and have a wheel fall off. That's my story. 
Thanks......

Oh yeah, I renewed my AAA a couple weeks ago so I can get towed if necessary.

Bob

It has been a few years but I towed one of our forum members to Best Auto Repair on the north side of town on HWY95. They allowed him to stay during the several days of repairs as well as a few others of our group that broke down during the RTR. They owned a big gravel parking area across the street from their garage. Hope this helps! We were able to take side streets and stay off the main roads so we could go slowly.

If it were my van, I'd get both wheel bearings replaced or at least greased and checked while there.

Thanks. The guy at BCM said I can't stay here tonight. Where I'm parked it's not their land. I'm working on putting the wheel back on. Maybe pull it over on the side of the road for now. This pretty much sucks

I recently read all of the local repair shops reviews (slight exaggeration) and liked Everett's towing and repair best based solely on reviews.

Good luck, and remember to tell us the rest of the story!

Okay, I made it to Everett's shop on Plymouth road. They do 24 hr towing so I figured I'd get a human on the phone. The lady who answered gave me the okay to park here. HUGE relief. They don't open until Monday so I'm good here until then. She told me they're booked up till Thursday on repairs though. I'm going to try and find a mobile mechanic or another garage possibly. I have some tools with me but not everything. If anyone qualified wants to take a whack at it, I'm paying.

Thanks again

My email is [email protected] or a PM is fine. I'll keep checking

Glad you've found a safe and handy place to park.

Quartzsite is a pretty small town, you can probably get around just fine on foot until thursday happens. two grocery stores in town, Coyote and RoadRunner, both on the east end of town, not real far from where you are.

Just in case, there is a dial-a-ride bus - 

https://www.ci.quartzsite.az.us/index.php/departments/public-transportation

It can take you farther afield than Quartzsite, if you are so inclined. WalMart is in Parker.

Any other local questions, ask away.

jacqueg said:

Glad you've found a safe and handy place to park.

Quartzsite is a pretty small town, you can probably get around just fine on foot until thursday happens. two grocery stores in town, Coyote and RoadRunner, both on the east end of town, not real far from where you are.

Just in case, there is a dial-a-ride bus - 

https://www.ci.quartzsite.az.us/index.php/departments/public-transportation

It can take you farther afield than Quartzsite, if you are so inclined. WalMart is in Parker.

Any other local questions, ask away.
Thanks ...been researching parts online since I'll be here at least overnight. Luckily, I'm stocked up pretty good on food, water and tobacco. I have to take a look around on a map and see what stores I'm near

after you replace the bearings and drive off, if you can still feel a wobble in the front end, its probably the rotor or shaft it goes on that got worned due to the bad bearing. It happen to me before and I had to replace those parts. I had to use a cordless impact wrench to get those parts off, they were on there tight.

You will probably know right away after you replace the bearings, if it the tire has too much play. You can still drive it that way but the wobble gets worst as the bearings go bad again.

Hopefully its just the bearing. But its something else to check.

Van Man Dave said:
Not too far away in Ehrenberg, let me know if we can help. Plenty of tools and skills.
Hey Dave, thanks. My number is 727-495-9860. I'm still in Quartzsite. Doesn't look good at getting parts today.

jonyjoe303 said:
after you replace the bearings and drive off, if you can still feel a wobble in the front end, its probably the rotor or shaft it goes on that got worned due to the bad bearing. It happen to me before and I had to replace those parts. I had to use a cordless impact wrench to get those parts off, they were on there tight.

You will probably know right away after you replace the bearings, if it the tire has too much play. You can still drive it that way but the wobble gets worst as the bearings go bad again.

Hopefully its just the bearing. But its something else to check.
Thanks. I'm hoping I don't have to go that far but it's a good possibility

Dave’s RV Life has a YouTube Video a few weeks ago about an RV junkyard in Quartzsite that might be a resource for used parts like a spindle if you need one.