Storing lithium batteries? AGM?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOfYork

Reaction score
I am slowly buying everything I need to do my van conversion. I am buying things as I can afford them. This way I won't owe anything when my build is complete. Now to my question.

If I buy a lithium battery and charge it to test it and then not need to use it for 6 months to 1 year, do I need to do something to store it properly?

Same question with AGM batteries just in case I can't go the lithium route I prefer?

Hmmm. Again, with GEL hybrid batteries?

Lithium batteries don't really care how you "store" them. Some say don't store them at 100% SOC, I can't verify that. I bought a battery bank back in July 2020 at approximately 75% SOC and didn't install and charge them until March 2021. In all those months, the lithiums stayed in a static state, with no SOC loss. Only using the lithiums for about 2 weeks now, and love them! Never going back to those lead dinosaurs. AGM's are technically lead acid, they like to be charged as they lose SOC over time. Don't let your AGM's fall below 50% SOC while storing them! Keep them on a small trickle charger?

LiFePO4 do care and like to be not full for storage. 50-75% SOC would be fine. Don't let them get really hot or really cold.