Stop poop bags from smelling for about $15. No I'm not kidding!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vagabound said:
Does your bag, when new and ready for use, stay near the top of the bucket, or does it extend down mostly of the way into the bucket.  Just trying to get an idea if your setup is like pooping in a bag or pooping on a stretched tarp! ;-)  

Just measured.  Grocery store type bag when stretched over top of bucket: 10+ inches to bottom of bag.

I'm also still trying to sort out in my head the difference between the pooping bucket and the storage bucket.  Likely my own shortcoming.  Too distracted at the moment.

One and the same.  When finished, tie poop bag, place tied poop bag in collection bag, leave in bottom of poop bucket, replace gamma seal lid, store bucket.  When emptying remove collection bag (with however many days collection) and dispose of.

Seems like the thicker bags might only be necessary as a safety bag in the pooping bucket, and as the outer liner bag in the storage bucket.  Otherwise, the every-instance poop bags should be OK if much thinner.  You think?

Probably.  Haven't had to try Walmart bags yet as a still have a collection of thicker bags.  This discussion is causing me to rethink things.

Going to try adding photos of my 'throne'.  A first using the mac and photoshop.

Bucket1.jpgBucket2.jpgBucket3.jpg

-- Spiff

Attachments

• Bucket1.jpg
    Bucket1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Bucket2.jpg
    Bucket2.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Bucket3.jpg
    Bucket3.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 24
Spaceman Spiff said:

Going to try adding photos of my 'throne'.  A first using the mac and photoshop.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff ... 

That's as clear to me as a high-tech, bucket toilet system has very been. ;-) 

You were always one of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes alter-egos, but now, well, you're the man !

Thanks,

Vagabound

I simply put my poop into bags made to hold adult diapers. Smell free. Inexpensive. Get hundreds at a time on amazon.

I don't understand all this, mine doesn't stink  :D

It is not so much about the material the jar is made with as it is the compression seal. The type off seal found in your glass jar unit can be found on stainless steel (canister)storage jars, polycarbonate and aluminum. I have listed keywords below that will help bring up some options for a similar small poop bag storage that is non breakable . Of course it will also work for bringing up glass jars of that type if you add the word glass to the string. Airtight is what is needed and for quick opening those locking clamps are very handy.

keywords: airtight locking clamp canister

I find I need 8 gallon bags to give me reasonable clearance for a thorough wiping. And that the smell gets through less when I use thicker bags, even though I always use a grocery store or other plastic bag around the poop bag afterwards. It still makes a big difference.

Unfortunately the price goes up dramatically sometimes.

Except when you exclude air, you encourage the growth of aerobic (grows only where there's no oxygen present) bacteria, which is the most vile smelling, disease ridden kind of bacteria. Just be sure you're wearing a biohazard breathing apparatus when you eventually open that thing.

I added a urine diverted to separate solids from liquids.

Attachments

• u1-2.jpg
    u1-2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 12
AreWeLostYet said:
Except when you exclude air, you encourage the growth of aerobic (grows only where there's no oxygen present) bacteria, which is the most vile smelling, disease ridden kind of bacteria. Just be sure you're wearing a biohazard breathing apparatus when you eventually open that thing.
The poster who initiated this discussion specifically stated they were only using the container for SHORT term storage. It is not going to get out of control in a short span of time.

Actually that post was mixed up from the start. It's anaerobic (without air) stuff which gets the stinkiest. I think most got the gist of it, but as long as it is being brought up again, I thought I'd set the record straight before we continue.

Here is my idea. Many parts come in heat sealed plastic like a seal a meal only way cheaper plastic rolls of different widths. I plan on using the thin dollar store bag then putting it thr heat seal bad & sealing tight using a heat sealer like this from Amazon. I'd just keep adding & sealing till about 4' long & dispose of with no oder ever to deal with.
iHotools 8"(200mm) Impulse Manual Hand Bag Sealer Heat Sealing Machine for Plastics Bags PE bags with Extra Replacement Element Grip Blue
iHotools 8"(200mm) Impulse Manual Hand Bag Sealer Heat Sealing Machine for Plastics Bags PE bags with Extra Replacement Element Grip Blue
by iHotools$23.99 Here's an idea of bag cost & you could use it for sealing open chip bags, storing foods & I'm sure I can find better prices these are just examples
Vacuum Sealer Rolls, Sous Vide Food Bags, Two (2), Large 11" x 50' & 8" x 50' Combo, Commercial Vacume Plastic, Food Vac Storage & Heat Seal, Vacuumsealer Saver, Microwave & Freezer Safe, Store A Meal by Houseables $17.28

This is so funny - I am laughing so hard I am crying.  What a great experiment and excellent advice.  THANKYOU!  I have several of those jars... pickle jars and other old school storage jars.  It's nice to know I already have many of the things I need.  I just discovered a black SEVEN gallon bucket on Amazon.  It adds six extra inches of height, which was a concern for my disabled partner... getting down and up.  Now I just need to find maybe an old walker or some sort of foldable but sturdy handlebars.  See ya out on the road!

Oh man.... seal a meal poops?! Hahaha. I can just see the wrong person accidently stumbling on your "storage..." *giggles*

Spaceman Spiff said:
Although my sniffer isn't very good I have never smelled odors coming from my gamma sealed bucket, even after 6 or 7 days accumulation.  My beagle, who does have an excellent smeller, does not have any interest in the closed bucket but will check it out once opened.

-- Spiff

Yep.  I've used a 3 gallon bucket (shorter than a 5 gallon) with a gamma lid for years without a problem.

66788 said:
Yep.  I've used a 3 gallon bucket (shorter than a 5 gallon) with a gamma lid for years without a problem.

Where did you get the 3 gallon bucket?

Gr8ful:
Interesting idea! :)
Have you seen the movie "The Martian"? They had an awesome (albeit too pricey for most of us) technique, similar to that, but on a per use basis.

P.S. Thanks Spiff & Beagle Overlord! A gamma seal lid has been high on my wish list, ever since you posted that. :)
Now I finally get to hit that "thanks" button. :D

Bought the 3 gallon bucket at Home Depot before the 2016 RTR. I have not seen them there lately, but they are available elsewhere. Call around.

Kaylee said:
Where did you get the 3 gallon bucket?

Most bakeries just throw their buckets away.  If you ask nice lots of them will just give you some; 3, 5, or 6 gallon (I think the 3 gallon is actually 2.5)

I have to pay for those buckets at Safeway (they come square or round, ask in the bakery/pastry, where they are used for frosting), but like 50 cents each, and they have to ask a manager sometimes. And they might limit me to only one or two. Tight control over an item that's basically worthless to them, but oh well. Other markets, like Albertsons, have been happy to give me any number of them, any size, and for free.

I've also gotten 5 gallon soy sauce buckets from Asian restaurants, which of course go through them quickly. For free. Some of them don't really understand, but not all.

Thanks a ton guys, that'll help beginners save a few dollars & angst. Ding: thanks for the extra details. :)

Last year, I did buy a 2 gallon bucket from Home Depot, but it's "meh". A 3 gallon might be better (for me). A square bucket would be more space efficient. :)

I'm still a novice, however I've been using the DollarTree 4 gallon bags (50 count), and haven't had any leak yet.
That's 2 cents each. :)
They're perfect for a 2 gallon bucket: their width makes an easy loose fit, and they're tall enough to have plenty of overlap, making it easier to remove & tie up.
I couldn't find any unscented, but even with my Vulcan nose, if I keep the unused ones in their original bag, I'm ok. I went with lemon as the least obnoxious scent.

After my first "experience", I've been pre-staging a few bags, by removing them from their bag, fluffing them, adding hamster bedding, carefully folding them, and leaving them in another sealed container. Saves some time, effort, and scent bombardment.