Stop poop bags from smelling for about $15. No I'm not kidding!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unkle Lo

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newcomer,

I have been a lurker on these threads and learning tons of fantastic info.  I am currently in prep mode and getting my ducks in a row so we can head out this Summer - cross my fingers.  Even though I wanted to remain anonymous for now, I found something so great that I had to break my silence and share

Anyway I know from my extensive camping that poop is one of the hardest things from stopping the odor on.  At least if you do it my way, which is the bucket poop bag way, which I prefer. I've tried every kind of plastic container and plastic bag but the odor shortly makes it out.  I even tried Diaper Genie bags and those didn't work either.

So, even though I still live in a house I have been conducting an unpleasant experiment.  For the last 3 or 4 week I have been pooping into a bucket so I could have the raw material :D to conduct my experiments with different types of containers and bags.

My breakthrough came when I was watching a Better Housekeeping YouTube video about stopping smells in food containers and they said if you want to stop smells you have to use glass.  So I tried a glass jar with a metal lid - didn't work.  Finally I remembered that French jars my mom used to have on her kitchen counters back in the 70's called hinged glass lid jars.  I bought the 2L jar from Amazon for about $15 and to my surprise it works fantastically. And with a 85mm mouth it was easy to put the bags it and take them out.

This is great if you are stealth parking and need to not leave your van at night or if you are camping and just don't want to go out into the dark and cold.  It works-I promise-zero odor.

In hindsight, the 2L is probably too big.  It holds 4-5 poop bags which to too much considering this is just intended to be short-term storage.

WARNING: after you put a poop bag in there, the jar holds the smell and methane under slight pressure.  So if you don't want to be stink bombed make sure you are outside or have the exhaust fan on high BEFORE you open the jar.

This experiment took about a month and cost me about $50 but I think the results were well worth it.

Here are the links:
https://www.amazon.com/Parfait-Fren...keywords=Le+Parfait+glass+jar+with+hinged+lid

https://www.amazon.com/Parfait-Fren...&qid=1476159645&sr=8-2&keywords=Le+Parfait+2l

https://www.amazon.com/Parfait-Fren...&qid=1476159671&sr=8-1&keywords=Le+Parfait+1l

Funny but makes sense. And hey, if it works.

Although my sniffer isn't very good I have never smelled odors coming from my gamma sealed bucket, even after 6 or 7 days accumulation.  My beagle, who does have an excellent smeller, does not have any interest in the closed bucket but will check it out once opened.

-- Spiff

Hey , if it works !

Thanks for the tip Unk , a LOT of people here can use that , no doubt!

AND Welcome to the posting side....

Spaceman Spiff said:
Although my sniffer isn't very good I have never smelled odors coming from my gamma sealed bucket, even after 6 or 7 days accumulation.  My beagle, who does have an excellent smeller, does not have any interest in the closed bucket but will check it out once opened.

-- Spiff

I haven't considered that because I thought everybody who used gamma lids had the bucket filled with wood chip, peat, or coir; which absorbs the moisture and odor as well as reduces the methane gas.  Does the gamma lid work well with just the used bags?

Another thing I forgot to add.  Does it work well in the heat of a closed cab.  To do the tests I left the jar in the cab of my truck with the windows closed.  Definitely over 105 degrees and still no odor.  I would be very interested to know if gamma lids would perform as well.  Thanks

Spaceman Spiff said:
...I have never smelled odors coming from my gamma sealed bucket, even after 6 or 7 days accumulation.

Same here.

Unkle Lo said:
I haven't considered that because I thought everybody who used gamma lids had the bucket filled with wood chip, peat, or coir; which absorbs the moisture and odor as well as reduces the methane gas.  Does the gamma lid work well with just the used bags?

My method is using a plastic hardware store bag (thicker than grocery store bags, sorted for no holes!), add a cup of sawdust (mostly pine, to absorb any liquids), do the deed, tie up the bag, put in larger garbage bag in bucket, seal bucket with the gamma seal lid.  I have thought of getting some cedar sawdust but that is more as a cover scent for when the lid is opened.

Unkle Lo said:
Another thing I forgot to add.  Does it work well in the heat of a closed cab.  To do the tests I left the jar in the cab of my truck with the windows closed.  Definitely over 105 degrees and still no odor.  I would be very interested to know if gamma lids would perform as well.  Thanks

Highest inside temp I have observed when in the camper was 95ºF.  It probably has gotten hotter when driving in the sun.  No noticeable odor with a number of days accumulation.

-- Spiff

Thank you. I have three of these - just need to get some new gaskets. You saved them from a future at the thrift store.

Spaceman Spiff said:
My method is using a plastic hardware store bag (thicker than grocery store bags, sorted for no holes!), add a cup of sawdust (mostly pine, to absorb any liquids), do the deed, ...

Spiff,

Thanks for the details.  Actually matters to get the right result.  Two questions please:

1.  You mentioned somewhere else in a related thread that adding the absorbent (sawdust or whatever) first, before using the toilet, is somehow important.  Reasons that come to mind:  If prepared in advance, it reduces time that the bag is untied, time that the lid is off bucket, and so, smell.  Is that your reason?

2.  Could you easily find and post a link to an example of that different type of "hardware store bag"?  It probably amounts to some difference in thickness (mils), but at the moment, not sure what that would be.

Vagabound

Vagabond said:
. . . Two questions please:

1.  You mentioned somewhere else in a related thread that adding the absorbent (sawdust or whatever) first, before using the toilet, is somehow important.  Reasons that come to mind:  If prepared in advance, it reduces time that the bag is untied, time that the lid is off bucket, and so, smell.  Is that your reason?

My reason is: due to a recent surgery I leak when I poop.  The sawdust is carefully placed where it will absorb the leakage (no loose liquid in the bag).  I have enough air exchange in my camper that the smell doesn't linger long.

2.  Could you easily find and post a link to an example of that different type of "hardware store bag"?  It probably amounts to some difference in thickness (mils), but at the moment, not sure what that would be.

Plastic grocery bags I am talking about are the ones I get at Walmart, Target, Cub Foods, etc.  Hardware store bags are the ones I get at Menards, Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply and other ranch stores.  A Walmart bag measures out at .0007" - .001" thick.  A Fleet Farm bag measures .0012 - .0017 with my caliper (quick and crude measurements).  Most of the thin bags barely make it out to the parking lot without holes in them, so I wouldn't trust them not to leak.  I haven't had an accident with the thicker bags but my supply is running out so I am looking for options in the 2 to 3 mil thickness.

-- Spiff

Thanks for explaining.

(Spaceman Spiff) ... I haven't had an accident with the thicker bags but my supply is running out so I am looking for options in the 2 to 3 mil thickness.

A nice, quick primer on bag differences that I found:

http://www.plasticplace.com/thickness

That website above seems to be a good source of different bags also.  Not sure about pricing.

----------

Other applicable links:
----------

Forgot to ask -- what size bag seems to be right (measured in gallons)?

Vagabound

My solution to odor has been to chuck bags within moments of their use. Days of "accumulation"? Yeesh. If I'm out in the boonies that long I dig a hole. If I'm near a town I trash the bag immediately. I've no interest in carrying poo around.

One's diet can also affect the aroma of one's poo.

Been using peat moss (which has it's own organic smell) and gamma lids for the past 4 years but I do travel alone so I have no one to control my experiments on, but unless I have gone nose blind no problems with this system. I love those French jars and use them in my current home

Glass is less than desirable in the mobile lifestyle.

We have never had an issue with Walmart Great Value 8 gal bags in our loo.

Pine chips work well.

Vagabound said:
Forgot to ask -- what size bag seems to be right (measured in gallons)?

Thanks for the links.  Kind of hard to spend money on bags when I have gone this long on freebees.
I think the bags I use are about 3 gallons.  Measured flat:  18" wide by 12" deep.  Stretch tight around gamma seal outer ring.

TMG51 said:
My solution to odor has been to chuck bags within moments of their use. Days of "accumulation"? Yeesh. If I'm out in the boonies that long I dig a hole. If I'm near a town I trash the bag immediately. I've no interest in carrying poo around.

I spent too many years squatting over a cat hole, my recent surgery makes that difficult plus I want the comfort of a toilet seat in my dotage.  Been using my setup for 6 years with no 'accidents' or noticeable smell, except when I open the bucket (see below).

MrNoodly said:
One's diet can also affect the aroma of one's poo.

Don't I know it!  Ran out of dog food for Simon this spring in Southern Utah.  Only dog food I could find in smaller than 50# bags was a 5# bag of Chuck Wagon (you know you are getting quality when the first ingredient is corn).  The beagle ate it OK, supplemented with canned chicken but I suffered.  His farts and poop were STINKY.  Long 4 days until I could find some Blue Buffalo  :s

wagoneer said:
Been using peat moss (which has it's own organic smell) and gamma lids for the past 4 years but I do travel alone so I have no one to control my experiments on, but unless I have gone nose blind no problems with this system. I love those French jars and use them in my current home

Well, I know MY sh!t don't stink  :p 
Good idea.  I'll have to try that or . . . just thought of putting pine needles in the bottom of the bucket; an inch or so would give a nice, natural cover scent.

Thanks to all for some good ideas.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
Thanks for the links.  Kind of hard to spend money on bags when I have gone this long on freebees.
I think the bags I use are about 3 gallons.  Measured flat:  18" wide by 12" deep.  Stretch tight around gamma seal outer ring.

3 gallon only, wow.  That seems to be a small bag.  But, I haven't tried this yet, so just guessing.  I think all of the bags in those links I provided were much, much larger.  So, smaller sized equivalents would need to be found, but that should greatly reduce their cost also.

Does your bag, when new and ready for use, stay near the top of the bucket, or does it extend down mostly of the way into the bucket.  Just trying to get an idea if your setup is like pooping in a bag or pooping on a stretched tarp! ;-)  

I'm also still trying to sort out in my head the difference between the pooping bucket and the storage bucket.  Likely my own shortcoming.  Too distracted at the moment.

Seems like the thicker bags might only be necessary as a safety bag in the pooping bucket, and as the outer liner bag in the storage bucket.  Otherwise, the every-instance poop bags should be OK if much thinner.  You think?

If you're ever in the mood, maybe a photo or two of your setup in "clean mode" would be enlightening.

Thanks for all of the good descriptions so far.

Vagabound

Latest posts