Stock

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
I have stocks that I've bought and don't touch.  Netflix, Disney, Starbucks, and now Amazon.  I just did Amazon today, figured it was a good time with the christmas rush starting.

What stocks do you invest in that you can recommend, for long term?

Alternatively, I'd be interested in doing some day trading as well.  If anyone has any suggestions. I use Van Guard and want to just stick with that system, if possible.

This lifestyle is not conducive to day trading; ... if you consistently have GOOD internet connections (I've lost money when a connection crapped out on me so I couldn't get out of a trade when it reversed quickly), you may want to consider researching swing trading instead where you're in trades for usually a couple days or a week.

The best advice I can give you is to find a place to set up a virtual account and practice for several months. Whether it is day trading or swing trading or what ever other kind of trading it is. Options xpress is where I used to send people but I think they got bought out and do not have it anymore. I have heard Scottrade has it but I haven't checked it yet. Good Luck it is a crazy game and as in all games someone has to loose.

You have good stocks for the long term. This Bull Market should last another 8 months, MHO, ha.............

Scottrade merged with Ameritrade. I been with Scottrade about 10 years, prior to that I was with Ameritrade, now I'm back.....

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
GOOD internet connections

Like Thirsty Boots Nomad I've lost money too because of a bad connection. Always have a backup connection, 5 minutes and you can easily see swing of +-2% or more. Today was a good example if you look at tech stocks.

I suggest reading about the market a lot, read the whole Dictionary at the end of the page, then a lot of article about trading.
www.investopedia.com/active-trading/

Here a nice one for swing trading.
www.swing-trade-stocks.com/learn-swing-trading.html

Remember that investing and trading is completely different! It took me months of reading before doing my first trade. Personally I don't think a virtual account is efficient since you don't have emotion about the money, it's not real money. This is the most difficult part of being a good trader, you need to eliminate all emotion from any trade and If you can stick with a plan that you follow, you should be ok at the end. Good luck!

Here is how I trade sometimes without watching the stock. You have to be able to read charts. I drew a support line (bottom) and a resistance line (upper). When the stock goes down to the bottom line, put a limit order to buy till cancel at 1.05...  Soon as you buy it, put a limit order to selll till cancel at 1.15... You'll average about 8% per trade. If you look at the chart, you'll see how many times you could have traded it. I'm trading LTBR at the present.
One rule I abide by: Never buy a penny stock near earnings date. You can see what this stock did Nov 13.

Attachments

• LTBR.png
    LTBR.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 34
ZacLee said:
How about oil and gas royalty trusts?  Examples include MTR and CRT

http://mcdep.com/

I been watching the energy sector. Being I live in the Eagle Ford Shale area, I  see 3 new oil rigs,l just came up.
Maybe they know something?

I've done extremely well with facebook stock, i've bought and sold it several times over the last few years. I set a yearly goal on what i want to make with my short term trades and once I reach it I usually stop for the year so I don't give back what i've gained. FB has allowed me to reach my goal the past two years. I feel like that stock is probably played out, but it does continue to impress me. Microsoft did pretty well for me this past year as well, not sure why I bought it, but it paid off. I'm researching now to see where I want to start 2018.

I tend to stick to funds for my long term investments, my current ones are
Berkshire Hathaway (BRKB)
AKRIX
FCNTX
MPGFX
VDIGX
SGENX

There's gotta be a market correction coming in the not so far future. I might pull out of all my remaining stocks and just wait for that to happen. Then buy in when everything dips down a bit. Hard to judge though, can miss out on a lot of money waiting for a downturn that takes too long to happen.

My wife is 100% in the SPY index fund, her 401K, in the last 12 months now. She's retiring in less than two years. 2018 we will be waiting for an increase in market volume, then she will bail out into the money market fund. When everybody is buying, it's time to get out............

I have a question  ; Do we have any 401K roll overs here and how are  you invested?  And do you or your money manager use the 4% annual withdraw plan?

RVING here we come!

Every Road Leads Home said:
 I might pull out of all my remaining stocks and just wait for that to happen.  Then buy in when everything dips down a bit.  Hard to judge though,  can miss out on a lot of money waiting for a downturn that takes too long to happen.

Don't forget you always have the possibility to "short" a stock also when you're as certain it's about to tank as you were another stock was going to rise.  For some (many?), they don't trade shorts because they feel they're betting against the stock/American dream/etc. and what that might mean if they were right.

I'm a bit hesitant to do individual equities.  I prefer funds - index funds, growth, domestic, income-growth, and international.   I want to be able to ignore the market for lengths of time so my funds tend to be a bit more bland.

I'm not too fund of sector funds because they can be too vulnerable to outside forces.   Look what happened to the drug funds such as IBB when the politicians started attacking them in 2015.

I use TDAmeritrade.  I don't do day trading because it is too emotional.

.gojo said:
My wife is 100% in the SPY index fund, her 401K, in the last 12 months now. She's retiring in less than two years. 2018 we will be waiting for an increase in market volume, then she will bail out into the money market fund. When everybody is buying, it's time to get out............

I have a question  ; Do we have any 401K roll overs here and how are  you invested?  And do you or your money manager use the 4% annual withdraw plan?

RVING here we come!

I am retired - used to work for IBM.  My 401K was rolled over into a traditional IRA when I left IBM.  My investments are with TDAmeritrade. 

I am following a bucket strategy.  I had normal taxable accounts prior to investing in addition to funding a post-tax IRA .  I took a portion of the taxable account and moved it into CDs and tax-free municipal bonds in the form of a bond ladder.  That is what I am currently living on.  I converted the post-tax IRA into a ROTH-IRA also.  Since I have been living on post-tax money for the past few years, my taxable income is near zero.  Because of that, I have been able to do partial conversions from the traditional IRA to my ROTH with a very low tax hit.  My goal is to be able to move as much money into the ROTH while keeping the tax implication low.  Otherwise I would have an increase in my medicare premiums.  I'm currently not taking SS because I want as much room to continue the conversions until RMDs kick in.  I have an annuity which has just come out of the surrender period so plan on cashing it in and moving the money into the taxable/bond-ladder accounts.  Of course I have to be careful in doing that because of the tax implications.

gojo said:

RVING here we come!

I should have mentioned.  The reason that I use the tax-free bond ladder is for two reasons.  One is the tax implication, but the other is probably more important. 

I never want to have to sell an asset on a down market. 

By having bond ladder that covers several years, I have enough money to live on with out selling an asset.  Since it is several years long, I have the room to allow my assets to recover from a down turn.  Sure I will have to pull out money to cover the RMD, but I don't have to pull out money to live on.  The maturity dates on the ladder cover my living expenses.  The RMD money is just used to extend the ladder.

Since my ladder is three years long, that means I have three years to recover from a down turn.  That means in 2008 when we entered the great recession, I would have been covered until 2011 and by then the overall market was well into recovery.

This is still making my head spin but, lots of good info, keep it coming :)

The only way to beat the stock market system is to have your money invested in an Index Fund. Linked to such as the S&P 500. The only thing that performs consistently over the years. Best time to buy is when the market is down. Dollar cost averaging is the next best time.

FWIW I have made some of my best returns from medical marijuana...it is a pink, OTC stock...aka penny stock....I only played what would hurt too loose but not wreck me....I was using a social premise that the marijuana laws would loosen up if Hillary was elected, but quickly got out when Trump won...Im sure a lot of investors were playing it like that too and figured that a conservative Whitehouse would tighten the laws a bit, negating any decent returns, thus a lot of folks bailed out after the election.
Im mostly in energy dividend return stocks, one in particular is Duke Energy, currently I reinvest the dividend but it drags in about 750 dollars a month ( in quarterly payouts)...if Nuclear energy companies scare you I would consider Hawaiian Electric, if not mistaken their state law forbids Nuclear energy generated power, so in one aspect it might be a safer investment...but who really knows, some sloppy accounting practices by a seemingly safe company could just as easily give you a big ol hair cut too.

Another possible way to find something to invest in is to look at what most folks use each day...how many cupboards have a few can of Campbells soup in them? How many have Proctor and Gamble products in the cabinet under the sink? etc etc.

Maybe REITS, have some potential too but they have some funky tax structures.... However Since Trump is in office I have thought that the REITS might be embolden to do a little better since the guy in the White House is a Real Estate guy.....lol however no matter your political affiliation or your personal sentiments about this person or that person in office dont let it overshadow your ability to make a dollar...use the current social conditions to make some money!

If all else fails park your butt in a little shop at the bottom of a well travel mountain and open up a brake shop!

Wife 401K been in Equity Index Fund with Mutual of America since 12/13/2016. It's made 20.35%

S&P 500  (SPY) has made 16.66 since 12/13/2016..........

I am a big fan of index funds as well but I like to gamble with a little bit.

This year the ball landed in my number.

I was holding 40,000 shares of Endocyte purchased around $1.30 and I woke up one morning to check on it and found it was over $6 a share.

I have sold a lot of it now but having to hold some until next year to spread out the tax pain.