Still Not Happy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear the progress - maybe do a thread in the build out section?
Hear ya on the military brat growing up .... didn't have a problem in basic coz dad had been Army (air Corps).
AF, eh - once in the chow line after a joint exercise (I'd been on OPFOR), the AF guys were complaining how their generator died in the middle of the night & how hot it was ... think pins thru the cable, not that I'd have any knowledge about that, snicker, snicker
Anyway, I piped in with "it's SO hard to find a place to plug in my vibrator out here, 5kw just isn't enough ...

Thank you for your service as well

Sorry to be so late with a reply.  Been so busy with the local rat race.

I'm doing a build over on Tiny Teardrops Forum.  I am not good with stuff like this, and it has been half a disaster, but things are coming along.

As for cooling, I purchased a kennel air conditioner, that is just 1200 BTU, perfect for my super tiny trailer.  I also purchased a 2000 watt peak, 1600 average, or whatever it is called, generator, that I can run during the daytime when it is so very hot in some places.  My trailer is too small for a big solar system with deep cycle batteries, so I am using a 120 watt folding panel solar array with a couple of 26aH Duracell Powerpacks.  These provide both 12VDC and 120VAC, and should carry me through the night with my 12VDC appliances.  So electrical is taken care of, with the exception of tracking down a short in my trailer lighting system that I somehow caused.  It disabled my car by blowing several fuses in my car yesterday.  Such fun!!

Anyway, I hope to get on the road next month after tax time, and do a little experimenting with living cheaply, to see if I can handle it.  I used to be a long haul trucker, but gave that up because I didn't like being on the road away from home.  Just wonder if I do not have a home, other than my little trailer and car just how I would handle things. I definitely know I would not spend as much money, and could pay off all by debt very quickly.

Anyway, thanks for the support.  I look forward to maybe running into someone out there during my one week experiment on the road.

CaleyAnn

Hi CaleyAnn,
I'm pretty new at this myself.  I understand your dilemma and challenges.  I sold my beautiful home and my awesome treasures because of a divorce.  That was just 2 years ago.  I still have a storage unit I am attempting to clear out but keeping the pictures and such.  Not sure what to do about those.  I love books which are not available on Kindle or anywhere else.  So that is a challenge.

I am 64. I have a small old trailer and pull with an F150. I am slowly learning what I need and don't need. It's a process. 

So, as of this date...how is your process coming?

My mother used to tell me, "when one door closes, another opens."  I sure miss that woman!
Have a great day
Joyce

Hi Joyce, Sounds like your life really went through a huge change. I hope the bits and pieces and ends of what is left come together for you, and that you can make a move that will bring you happiness, and maybe some fulfillment.

I know you will figure out what you deem keepsakes, and find homes for the others. Americans are in love with possessions, many of which get used once, and never get used again, being thrown into a corner. It's amazing just how little one person actually needs to live a fairly comfortable, and happy life.

As for my thoughts about transitioning to a simpler life, things, and people just will not let go. I am what is basically corporate knowledge with an organization I volunteer with, and they are not happy that I might be leaving, letting them figure out how things work. I am also finishing up fixing the house grounds before contemplating whether I want to sell or rent the property. I live in a one foot flood zone, so I have been putting in what I hope is a bullet proof flood barrier for that size of flood.

My sleeping trailer is not finished yet. The trailer company who sold me the trailer, took quite some time to get a replacement door for the trailer with window in it. Right now the trailer is trapped behind the flood control material I am installing, so I can't get my trailer to the dealer for the modifications.

And I found out that my little Honda CRV with a tow rating of 1000 pounds may not be able to handle things. I did not realize that if you load your car with weight, that counts as part of the tow, including your own body. This basically means I will have to purchase either a larger SUV with significantly greater towing capacity, or a truck like you have, or possibly go with a Van like so many live in. A van might be the best way to go. Problem is I need to pay off some debt before committing to the purchase of a new vehicle.

Sorry to yak so much. Best wishes to you with your transition to a new life.

Wagoneer, Yes, JTNP is a wonderful place to visit, though not a place to go during the summer, unless you have a nice kit to stay in. It is a few degrees cooler than 29Palms, but still very hot from June through October.

Caley