still have solar power questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb1996

Reaction score
Ok, almost there, kinda understand solar set up. Is it: solar panel connects to charge controller, controller connects to the batteries and the batteries to the inverter?

Here is what I have for our popup camper: (2) 100 watt Renlogy solar panels, (2) 6 volt deep cycle batteries, charge controller and an inverter. our plan is to mount them on the roof, my main question is our camper has a 12 volt battery and is wired for the camper. we have a panel that says "converter" that changes DC to AC. Is that different than the inverter, should I turn that off? Not sure how to make it work  for the camper: should I hook up the solar system and plug the camper's electrical cord to the inverter? will the converter interfere with the inverter. you all have helped me a lot, thanks so much

A converter changes AC to DC. An inverter changes DC to AC. If the "camper cord " you are referring to is the AC cord you would normally plug into a house or outlet at a campground no it should stay a stand alone circuit and never be connected to a 12 volt source. That cord connects 110 volt commercial power to the converter or regular 110 volt outlets that your trailer may have. If you post in the electrical forum someone with a more complete knowledge of solar will most likely explain it in more detail. Never mix AC and DC circuits.

Ideally, the two six volt batteries should replace the twelve volt battery you've already got.  The converter changes shore power when you are plugged in at a campground to twelve volts dc for your lights, water pump, and all your other twelve volt stuff.  It will also recharge your batteries, albeit slowly and poorly.  It can be used simultaneously with the solar, no need to disconnect it.

Your inverter is for when you are NOT plugged at a campground.  You wouldn't use it when you are plugged in to shore power.

Bullfrog is right, btw.  If you have more questions on electrical, you should post them down in the electrical sub-forum.  A lot of very knowledgable people here don't necessarily read the new users sub-forum due to a lack of time or bandwidth.