Stepvan, box truck or other- how did you decide your vehicle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanceforpie

Reaction score
What vehicle are you driving?  I can't decide between box truck, cargo van, mini-van or Stepvan. 

Why did you choose your vehicle?

For me it was kind of a Goldilocks thing. A cargo van was just right. Roomy enough while still being compact enough to fit almost anywhere.

Well really it's about space, you need to assess how much space you want and/or need and guide you're decision.
If you're not sure and haven't looked already, do some searches like step van camper and get idea for the variety of builds.
Box trucks and step vans aren't known for fuel economy, not that a cargo van would be either for that matter, but insurance may run higher as it could be considered a commercial vehicle in your state or insurance company.

I would have gone with a cargo van, but wanted a high top as well which meant a conversion van. So I guess I kinda did as it started out a cargo van lol.

I found that as my needs changed so did my vehicles. What may be a “best” vehicle for you now may not be later. A good general rule is overestimate the amount of weight you will be carrying. Overestimate the amount of space you will need. Most importantly overestimate the amount of money you will need to spend to meet your needs by double the amount. Make the left over your emergency fund.

bullfrog said:
Most importantly overestimate the amount of money you will need to spend to meet your needs.

Amen! While I haven't gone crazy, I fo sho go mo than I initially anticipated.

I started out with a basic short wheel base Ford Van that was a hand me down.   Dad had set it up with bed across the rear wheel wells,  a kitchenette he built which was basically a cabinet, and an ice chest.
He had a Coleman stove, lantern, water jugs, and boxes to stow stuff.  It was a great first experience
for me traveling by myself.  Just enough space, easy on fuel,  OK in tight spaces.

Since then I've looked at step vans but most are just too large. 

Now I have a Ford E 350 extended high top cargo van  that has way more than enough room in it.  If I go on the road and work remotely in it there will literally be room for office space to work in.

I've driven all of the other vehicles the OP mentioned and the full sized vans would be all I'd ever need.
The high top's are the ultimate in my opinion.

Promaster 1500 cargo van, the smallest of the big vans with 6x10 cabin area behind the seats and full height inside. I bought this van used, and the deal was the reason: $10k less than the other vans I looked at and very low miles. No mechanical repairs were needed on the van, radio replaced under warranty. 

Before the van I had a 4x4 Chevrolet pickup for years, and was set up with a topper and bunk in the cab. I also bought that rig used, and was most attracted by the deal. I did have to do work on that rig, mostly body work and electrics. 
-crofter

Welcome to the CRVL forums chanceforpie! It's a decision each of us makes for different reasons and you may not get it right the first time. If you can, go to a gathering of nomads and ask for a peek inside of the ones that interest you. It'll give you a better idea of the amount of space you'll have after it's built out. You can also tape out the inside dimensions of each vehicle on your living room floor then arrange furniture or boxes inside to see if it's roomy enough for you.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Step vans... noisy, uncomfortable and unsafe....! To name a few..

chanceforpie said:
What vehicle are you driving?  I can't decide between box truck, cargo van, mini-van or Stepvan. 

Why did you choose your vehicle?

I looked for and found a 06 UHaul 1 ton box Van, 10'.
Back in 2015 I liked the idea of being able to stand up inside, 4 wheel disk brakes and a reliable drivetrain and ideally a GMC. I wanted to be able to cut an access from the cab to the box and lastly, square corners inside the box so it was easy to insulate.
The 1 ton has single rear wheels and a 139" wheel base so it handles and parks like a 1/2 ton pickup, even better once loaded up and has plenty of carrying capacity and room to put everything.
I wanted to do it once and be done with it. 6 years later I'm still pleased with my choice however I do change the interior stuff from time to time.

I'd recommend finding one of each in a scrap yard or dealership or both and take a closer look. The more you do the easier it will be to eliminate the ones you don't like. UHaul typically has a few for sale on their lots. Take a test drive and check them out. Oh ya, and don't buy the first one you look at. Shop shop shop. Check Penske too.

I'm looking to buy a 14' U-Haul.  I may travel about 5-hours to look at a few this week.  Prior to traveling to see a few, I have to verify that [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the condition of the truck on the lot still reflects the condition posted[/font] on the website.  Some advertised as 4-star but come to learn that was as of 2 years ago and it's since been cannibalized or had the catalytic converter stolen. Patience.

I like the 14' U-Haul for its size - not too big for a run into town, but plenty big for a minimalist apartment with wet room.  I like the big gas engine and towing capacity.  I like that the box has a metal roof.  I like that the box has an attic.  I like the ground clearance.  Eleven miles per gallon is a down-side.  My first mod will be fabricating a box-cab pass-through.  My second mod will be ditching the roll-up door and framing-in a wall with doors.  I'm OK with that, looking forward to it.  The downside that comes with the good ground clearance is a heck of a climb - a think about what yer doin' so you don't injure your knee type climb.  Maybe I can fabricate some (steep) steel fold-down steps and some hand grabs - and probably also a safety chain so I don't stumble out the back!    Plenty of trade-offs.  I had a ball sketching up different plans for different trucks as I considered them.

I don't believe I could do well in a windowless, low roof, cargo van, just not being able to stand up would start feeling clausterphobic. When I start looking, I will be looking at old church vans with the extended wheelbase E350, with a high top. I would tint all of the windows, and then block some of them from the inside. I wouldn't need a wheelchair lift however.

https://www.hymanwholesale.com/vehi...elchair-van-commercial-ashland-va-id-30782287

I'm not a full timer, but I travel in my 2012 Kia Soul when time and money permit. I chose the Soul for my road tripper back in 2014 because it was the vehicle I had at the time. I had been thinking about purchasing a van for traveling, but simply could not come up with the money for one. So far, my little Kia has proven to be an excellent choice for a travel vehicle. That said, I would really like to have something big enough to accommodate an indoor shower, as the time of year that I have available to travel is Fall/Winter.

I have 200 watts of solar charging a 12 volt, 105 amp hour battery. This powers a small, 12 volt refrigerator and allows me to charge my electronics when I'm on the road.

IMG_0257.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 6
Sephson-
Keep an eye on FB marketplace and ebay and auctions and Craigslist for used school busses, especially the 5-6 window variety. You can easily register them as motorhomes through Vermont, even though you are likely not a resident. Scheck the Skoolie.net forum for reg/insurance info.

Like many have stated, only you know what works best for you. There really is no wrong vehicle. For me, the dependability and easy of maintenance on a step van sold me for one. But step vans have significant downsides. They are loud, handle like a fridge on a bobsled track, and not so sure I'd want to get into a major accident with it. But with the right Diesel engine/trans combo getting 25mpg+, driving with the door open, and ease of a build out like a box truck but without stepping up 3', step vans are pretty sweet. And don't forget about the aluminum body lasting, ummm, forever because they don't rust.

I lived in a Ford Expedition for awhile. That was all sleeping bag and Coleman cooler living. Was kinda cool, but not being able to sit up was terrible. Really only stayed inside to sleep. Then I got an old military maintenance truck to live in. Upgraded to a mattress with sheets and a small mini fridge. I felt like I was king of the road! But not being able to stand up was a real downer, plus the fridge was too small. Now I'm in the step van, and I can do jumping jacks inside and can put whatever size fridge in it that I want! Also keep in mind that all three of those vehicle were around the same price range, but as time went on, they got larger and oddly more fuel efficient.

I have two fantasies: a vardo and a shuttle bus but since I can’t do anything myself and I’m older now and have more physical pain and less strength and agility than when I was young (not even retirement age yet can’t imagine how I’ll be then) It’s really more practical to just buy a used small RV. If you want the challenge then I’d do a lot of reading and talking to people like you’re doing now.
It’s way different though actually living in something than talking about it. I’m only getting my car worked on because it’s in good shape, super low miles and cheaper. Ie I have no choice. My only real complaint is like Stephson I’d like an indoor shower.
In my case the only advantage I have is I can fit in very small spaces.

Well if you want to standup and take a short shower while inside in winter you just decided you no longer want to explore but want someplace to live. You no longer want to be able to drive an economic easy to maneuver small vehicle that is easy to maintain. All that water and space needs to be kept above freezing so insulation and heat are required as well. It all adds weight that has to be carried which means a 3/4 to 1 ton vehicle in most cases if you want it to last. You will most likely will want something to get around with once you get to your destination that is more suited for exploring, yet more weight and maintenance. Once you accept that fact then you have to have a place to park it as many places won’t allow it or it will be too much hassle. Funny how everything seems to snow ball. Most start out small and end up big because we want not to make compromises. Start out spending very little and if we have it everything you have got just to meet what we feel are our needs and if you have it there is nothing wrong with that but go into this journey knowing what you are doing and that it will take a lot to get where you want to be. Being able to be nomadic usually means a lot of compromises as most don’t have the means to live on the road at the same comfort level we did in a sticks and bricks house.

I have a Stepvan for my side hustle and I’m gonna use it for adventuring as well. I’ve had 2 cargo vans in the past. They get too crowded really fast but the Stepvan is huge. The Stepvan probably gets the worse mpg, but it also depends on the motor/ tranny and rear end. I feel safe in mine but it feels like driving an RV even though it’s not as big. My inside storage area is a little less than 7’x7’x 14’ behind the drivers seat. I have a rear camera that is always on when ignition is on so I can see what’s near the vehicle and for backing up. I love my Stepvan. But it’s not something I want to drive in all the time when I’m gonna run errands. Cargo van feels more useful for that kind of driving. But it’s nice to have the larger area to work in when on a job or out camping. I also have 100watt solar panel a 40amp charge controller (to keep battery topped off) a 12volt battery and a 3000watt inverter and it’s also tied into my vehicle battery/ alternator as backup power source and an old Coleman stove for cooking. I’m gonna keep adding solar panels and batteries as I get a further along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is not recommended to mix batteries of different ages. something to keep in mind. highdesertranger

LERCA said:
I have two fantasies: a vardo and a shuttle bus...
HaHa I had the Vardo fantasy and the closest I came was a little curve in the roof showing in the wood trim of my cargo van. Looked at a lot of cool Vardo rigs before I gave up on it though.
-crofter

Link to Vardo video, not stealth for sure.