Stepvan, box truck or other- how did you decide your vehicle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the idea of stealth camping, and a vehicle that is completely inconspicuous when on the road. A step van fit that perfectly; plenty of room, access to the "living area" without leaving the vehicle, room for solar, onboard generator, squared off for ease of remodel, etc... They are built to be high mileage, the bodies last, and I like the customization options...I think the currently loose steering and road noise are my only big issues.

Driving around Quartzsite, I have seen all different kinds of rigs out here, but I don't think I have seen a Stepvan.

Freelander said:
Driving around Quartzsite, I have seen all different kinds of rigs out here, but I don't think I have seen a Stepvan.

Cruise thru Scadden Wash, you will probably see a few in that area...but the road getting there is pretty rough unless they have fixed it...

Freelander said:

Usually they form an area called “Stepvan Row” somewhere out there. If you look up Paul Barger aka “Breadtrucker” on IG or YT etc, he usually knows where to go for Stepvan fellowship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ah, I need to get my stepvan onto "Stepvan Row"! There are more of us than you know. We lurk in the shadows, hiding in plain sight...

tx2sturgis said:
Cruise thru Scadden Wash, you will probably see a few in that area...but the road getting there is pretty rough unless they have fixed it...

Not fixed at all..

I was down that road last week, they had a road grader out on the 'dirt' road, but the 'paved' road was far worse. It's smother to drive on the shoulder of the road.

I chose a stepvan because they're easy to work on and easy to insulate, and the full-size passage between the bay and the cab is really nice is you're wearing winter clothes.

2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
Reasons:
* commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) parts
* Cummins 8.3 mechanical
* Allison 3060
* air-locker rear axle
* air-conditioning
* 29,000# GVWR, 14,000# across the scale giving a massive cargo capacity
Our interior is three paces across by seven paces long.
Our photovoltaic panels:
* six 305-Watt for a total of 1,830-Watts
* AGM batteries
After nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, our rig is constantly evolving!