Step Van pics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirKarnage

Reaction score
Any Step Van dwellers care to post up picks of your setups?
 I'm trying to plan out my rig and any inspiration/ideas would be appreciated.

Do you have one yet or are you looking? I've got a P30 step van that was partially converted by the previous owner after starting life as a Mac Tools truck. I'm building it out as a motorcycle hauler/camper. If you're doing something similar, look for one with a good lift gate. Try to avoid roll up back doors; you lose head space and they are hard to insulate against heat, light, noise, or dust. I'd prefer a solid roof over the translucent ones but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

My major noticeable modification is going to be a rooftop platform that can be used to walk around or hang out on. I envision it covering the entire roof and being accessible via a ladder on the rear. This is still in planning stages.

Bud;
I am still searching for my Step Van.
I have a vision of what I want, which does include barn doors.
I've been against roll ups, for the reasons you've listed.
Though I do not really find the lift gate a necessity, it may be useful down the road.
As for the roof, I would install a perimeter rail, to protect the solar/stowage and to mount some lights.

There's a couple step-van builds around, but I can only remember this one:  Twinkie Hotel Improvements

You might also look at box truck builds...except for the stand-up pass thru, the interior dimensions are pretty much the same...

Meet Thirsty-http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/woodi20/library/Two%20Steps-%20aka%20Thirsty?sort=2&page=1

Page two are recent with dog and me living in it- please overlook the unmade bed and mess.

karl, that is a great setup you have. I just went through your pictures and have already mentally bookmarked several ideas to use in my step van. Very nice!

karl said:
Meet Thirsty-http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/woodi20/library/Two%20Steps-%20aka%20Thirsty?sort=2&page=1

Page two are recent with dog and me living in it- please overlook the unmade bed and mess.
Very nice Karl!, can you post specs please? You know, engine, trans, length, make, etc? :)

Ballenxj said:
Very nice Karl!, can you post specs please? You know, engine, trans, length, make, etc? :)
1987 Grumman body, '76 350(rebuild), 4 SPD automatic (OD).
Living space is 78"w x 108"(behind driver seat) x 69" h
Tool room is 80"w x34"d with an additional 18"x 20" h under bed. There is a rollout deck for tools between the tire wells.
200 watts of removable Renogy solar on rear lift hatch feeds two Trojan golf cart batteries through a Blue Sky mppt control. A continuous duty solenoid separates house and start batteries with ignition off, otherwise all are charged by the altinator
Shore power feeds a powerstrip and smart charger( brand escapes me at the moment)
Inverter is a Cobra 800w
All interior lights are "warm" led strips or blocks.
A 14 space fuse block routes power to 4 interior lights, 2 outside led flood's, furnace, refrigerator, 3 charging ports, side and rear security camera's.
Compressor for air ride seats, horns and tires is switched off start battery
A 1200 btu lp furnace is fed by a 20# tank in a vented box under the lift up section of the bed.
Refrigerator is an Indel 12v chest type .
I no longer use the water tanks heated by the engine coolant- the space is more useful.
Toilet is a 5gal bucket, gray water is a one gal laundry jug with a bar sink drain in a bowl attached. There is also a 20 gallon tank under the floor in what was originally the shower and is now kitchen... Though it rarely gets used.
Passenger seat swivels to face laptop shelf.

Thanks Karl, I appreciate the detail in your reply. :)

Meet Putt

20150411_161416-L.jpg

20150411_161500-L.jpg

Interior plan

3DOverheadViewl-L.jpg

As it sits today.

IMG_1715-L.jpg

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Putt is a 2006 Morgan Olson step van on an International SC1652 chassis with a Navistar VT365 engine. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Build thread in my sig.[/font]

Now we have two nice Step Van builds on this thread. :)

Wow. Twinkle, Thirsty, and Willy's rig are just lovely. Thanks to all for the inspiration.

And Karl, your interior is to die for. Lovely!

Great looking Stepvan!!! I just picked one up and about to build it out. I love to see how well yours came out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putts said:
Nice, that's a work horse. How many miles on it?

It's only got 121,000 on it. It's been well maintained!

I have a 1996 Grumman 26ft (18ft box). I bought it with 10k miles on it and in excellent condition overall (some mechanical quirks). I don't have many photos, but have about 30 videos on youtube with my very slow conversion taking place. 

[video=youtube]

7wanders said:
I have a 1996 Grumman 26ft (18ft box). I bought it with 10k miles on it and in excellent condition overall (some mechanical quirks). I don't have many photos, but have about 30 videos on youtube with my very slow conversion taking place. 

[video=youtube]

Hey 7! I've been watching your vids on yt and we've passed a few messages back and forth. Good to see you in here too!

Latest posts