Step Van DriveTrain Education

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenwrite

Reaction score
The Dream:  This winter ('17-'18) I will buy a step van and build it out to be a full-time RV.  I feel fairly competent about the interior build-out and I'm learning more every week.
But...
I'm woefully ignorant about most vehicle engines and drive trains and brakes, etc.  I need a 6 month crash course on step van mechanics.
What to look for and what to run away from.
What maintenance it will need regularly on the road.
What problems to look out for and how to recognize them.

I've heard that diesels are often the better choice over gas, but what little experience I do have with vehicles have all been gas.  Plus I've heard that while diesels are wonderful while the work, they are horror$ when they fail.  So unless all my fears and qualms and misgivings about diesels are sufficiently soothed, I'll probably go gas.

BTW, my budget will probably be limited to $5,000 hopefully less, for the actual van.  What can  I say, I'm poor.  LOL

Any advice and information offered will be met with gratitude.  Thank you all, for myself an for anyone else in my shoes.

Some step vans are pickup truck in sheep's clothing.  Designing new stuff for a low volume market would not be profitable.  The last time I messed with a Workhorse the actual GM documentation for the underlying pickup truck was spot on.

Google "Step van forum". Patrick46 on this forum should have some tips.

PS: I don't know much about diesels either but I do know that you should probably stay away from any panels powered by propane. There's a thread on here about woes some folks are having with a bus converted to propane.

Trebor English said:
Some step vans are pickup truck in sheep's clothing.

You can spot a pickup- or van-based step van instantly from 50 feet away.

Just look at the front wheels. If they are tucked up under the front, lined up with the inside rear duals, its a pickup frame (or light duty truck frame) and most likely gasoline.

If you see the front wheels inline with the outside rear duals, and lined up with the outside edges of the stepvan sheet metal, its quite likely a heavy duty, truck based, diesel powered rig.

tx2sturgis said:
You can spot a pickup- or van-based step van instantly from 50 feet away.

Just look at the front wheels. If they are tucked up under the front, lined up with the inside rear duals, its a pickup frame (or light duty truck frame) and most likely gasoline.

If you see the front wheels inline with the outside rear duals, and lined up with the outside edges of the stepvan sheet metal, its quite likely a heavy duty, truck based, diesel powered rig.

Cool, tx2sturgis!  I'd never heard that clear-cut distinction.  Good to know.

Keep in mind, there are exceptions, but here are two pictures, look at the front wheels...

I bet you can tell which one is a lighter duty van chassis, even if they were the same length:

stepvan-e350.jpg

step-commercial.jpg

Attachments

• stepvan-e350.jpg
    stepvan-e350.jpg
    26.5 KB
  • step-commercial.jpg
    step-commercial.jpg
    64.6 KB
There are also step vans that AREN'T duallies. I was close to getting one but the price was too high for my budget.

MrNoodly said:
There are also step vans that AREN'T duallies. I was close to getting one but the price was too high for my budget.

Well thats just a car with lousy aerodynamics...

:p

That lower picture looks exactly like 7wanders van. His is a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins 6bt turbo diesel. Very heavy duty and actually pretty simple to work on once you understand the basics. A well cared for Cummins engine will probably outlast any of us. Generally they're good for at least 500,000 miles and I know of at least one with 1.4 million on it and still going.

One thing about Steppies that I reelly REELLY luv is that they are some of the easiest vehicles to work on. I can just unbolt the floor panels around the tranny/engine and work on both standing on the ground INSIDE my rig. 2 winters ago I picked up a class C diesel RV with a blown engine for cheap. It was something to keep me entertained during the winter and I sold it to my friend at cost. Well, let me tell ya, working on and then doing an engine re & re on that pig was a TOTAL nightmare. Got it done, but it really made me appreciate the ease with which I can repair a stepvan.
One thing I'll mention, regardless of what vehicle you end up with, is to get on Amazon/Ebay and pick up a MOTOR shop manual. I've got 3 of them (for different years of light trucks) kicking around and they're worth their weight in gold. ..Willy.