"Stealth" rooftop shade possibilities

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I get the impression that a lot of you use solar panels and/or a slabe of plywood over your roof, either of which would provide some shade to the vehicle when parked in the sun thus reducing heat gain. Blending in is important where I'm at, and as shade is preciously difficult to come by I'm brainstorming and researching solutions.

ShadeTree Autoshade looks to be a pretty simple solution and not terribly expensive. Would attract attention while up, but doesn't scream anything about "person inside" or DIY. I measured and looks like it would nearly completely cover my minivan roof.

A large rooftop carrier would be another possibility. In summertime it would blend in okayish, I'd simply appear to be an outdoors enthusiast or vacationer, and I could put it in storage once the weather turns cool. Downsides include the storage in off-season, cost, and reduced mpg. If I did get one, it'd have to be something that looks right with my minivan and I'd get it used off craigslist.

This automated retractable carshade is a project that apparently never quite got off the ground. Pity, it looked like a good idea.

Since my minivan came with a factory roof rack, I'm wondering whether some nylon fabric to make a mini-tarp roughly matching the silver/grey color of the van would fly under the radar. I'm thinking if I pull it tight over and around the roof rack only with no overhang whatsoever, it might not be too noticeable.

I'm still in the idea stage. Anyone else have thoughts to contribute?

In pre-a/c days, Land Rover used to offer a Safari Roof option, which was said to keep the interior up to 10 degrees cooler than cars that didn't have them.  They were basically a second roof with an air space, and open on all four sides so air could flow freely between the two roofs.  For a good picture of one, use this link, and scroll down to post # 16.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f24/introduction-and-a-question-55929.html

Regards
John

Bitty,

I'm watching this thread with interest. Although my situation is different than yours, my need is the same: to shade my vehicle's roof as a way to cool the interior.

I haven't found a good solution yet. But, I'm thinking of trying something similar to what you are suggesting with your roof rack. I'm considering a mesh tarp (shade cloth) instead of a solid tarp though. The mesh is said to block 70% of the sun. But, in the wind I can keep the mesh installed, but would need to remove a regular tarp. Unlike you, I don't have a roof rack, but got some swim noodles at the Dollar Store to put under the mesh to create the needed air space. I'd attach straps to the corners to catch in the doors to hold it down. I'll probably get white mesh to reflect the sun's rays, vs. black which absorbs the heat.

I also like a tarp solution because it takes up less space when stored vs. a ridged topper as described by the AutoShade folks.

For your application, a mesh tarp instead of a solid one attached to your roof rack may even allow you to drive while it is installed.

Suanne ... also sweltering in the PNW heat

well I have used this on several vehicles.  I can say it does lower the temp inside because I am always in the shade and I don't use ac.
005.JPG
Image (2.1.jpg
first pic is current truck,  second pic is from the early 90's.  both have plywood on the rack.  with the current truck I want to change the plywood with aluminum.
  I have to ask as I have been following your posts on this subject,  aren't you in Seattle?  isn't the pnw covered with trees?  are there no trees in Seattle?  have they cut them all down?  I did see that on the big golf tourney they just had there looked like the desert.  are you tied to the city,  if not I would get out of Dodge.  head for elevation and shade.  hope you get this worked out.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Image (2.1.jpg
    Image (2.1.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 18
A Kid I went to school had his Dad bringing him to school each morning in an old red vintage Land Rover with one of those safari tops on it.  His dad was an Army Colonel and was a Land Rover enthusiast.  It had been restored, painted and the second top was a very bright white color. 

First time I ever saw it I thought it had been made by his dad.  When I asked about he explained it was a heat reflector and did make it cooler inside as it wasn't equipped with A/C. 

To me it looked like there was a couple of inches of gap between the roof and heat shield.

On my old first Van I once thought about trying to find one like it that had been stripped on a junk yard
and cut the top off it to rig it on mine similarly and paint it white. Never did it though. 

Subtle as this is (in this photo) it will attract attention just the same.  On that red Land Rover that white
heat shield was very obvious.  Had the roof been painted white to go along with the white heat shield
it wouldn't have been near as obvious.

landrover-santana-009_1.jpg

Just a couple of days ago on MiniVan Camper, I happened to have come across some photos of fairly non-stealth aluminet at Burning Man and thought the photos might inspire other ideas:

t

Also... didn't Bob have a post once showing how he uses tarps to shade his trailer? Again, not stealthy but great for boondocking. I could not seem to find that blog post though.

Suanne said:
For your application, a mesh tarp instead of a solid one attached to your roof rack may even allow you to drive while it is installed.

Suanne ... also sweltering in the PNW heat

Yes! I was thinking ideally something I could drive on with, I didn't realize solid fabrics wouldn't work for that. Mesh is the frontrunner idea now, with the notion that if I still need "more" and am at a spot where stealth is less essential I might put the AutoShade on top too. I covered my van roof with reflectix today and it was "only" 97 degrees inside (instead of 103 as it was yesterday). Within a couple minutes of the wind blowing it off I noticed it felt hotter and was already 99 degrees. That was without a gap, though.

highdesertranger said:
I have to ask as I have been following your posts on this subject,  aren't you in Seattle?  isn't the pnw covered with trees?  are there no trees in Seattle?  have they cut them all down?  I did see that on the big golf tourney they just had there looked like the desert.  are you tied to the city,  if not I would get out of Dodge.  head for elevation and shade.  hope you get this worked out.  highdesertranger

If you've been following my posts on the subject then you would know that I have, multiple times, gone on 30-45 minute drives in search of shade and found none, in various areas in and near Seattle. If you don't believe me you're welcome to come see for yourself. But I have to ask you please don't bother trying to turn this thread into general advice about avoiding the heat/sun in the first place. I created this thread because I don't have that option right now.

Optimistic Paranoid, eDJ_ those look/sound awesomely functional. :D

When my Navy ship spent a week in Mombasa, Kenya in the early eighties I saw several VW busses and photo-safari shuttles had that Land Rover style sun shield. Must work or they wouldn't take the trouble.

I need to spread my cargo roof rack to the max on my dark green Jeep and then measure it. I want to put a shade cloth on it to cut down on the heat build up. I might have to make a PVC frame for the cloth and attach that to the cargo rack. You can by cargo and safari racks on amazon. Or look at them there just to get an idea as to how to build one. I really don't see how adding a shade roof to your vehicle makes it less stealthy except for the people who will ask you about the shade roof.

https://creativeshelters.com/
http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/

My first thought would be aluminum mounted to the top of the roof rack and painted to match the roof. That should be very stealthy and give you shade. How well it would work would depend on how much air space there is between the roof and alumunum.
Bob

highdesertranger said:
sorry about that.  I was just wondering.  highdesertranger

Hey-Man,
I live in Tacoma, often described as a suburb of Seattle...But we are in fact a thriving city in our own right! Tacoma or more specifically Chamber's Creek Golf Course is where the big golf tourney was last year. That golf course is built right on Puget Sound and was specifically designed to mimic the original Scottish golf courses. Much excavating of forest was done to build it. The peninsula directly across the sound is heavily forested.
You are correct that we have a lot of trees here, but sadly in city limits and especially in housing hungry Seattle, very few remain. City parks have great trees but parking is a nightmare.
I don't know Bitty but I know of the area she claims as home and its mostly industrial/ hipster bar/ sports arena type stuff. I am just sharing this information for no apparent reason except I am a proud resident of Tacoma and Chamber's Creek Golf Course is one of my favorite places.

Hit me up if you ever make it out here.

Bitty, you hit me up too. We can go play together at CSPC. :angel:

Bitty said:
Yes! I was thinking ideally something I could drive on with, I didn't realize solid fabrics wouldn't work for that. Mesh is the frontrunner idea now, with the notion that if I still need "more" and am at a spot where stealth is less essential I might put the AutoShade on top too. I covered my van roof with reflectix today and it was "only" 97 degrees inside (instead of 103 as it was yesterday). Within a couple minutes of the wind blowing it off I noticed it felt hotter and was already 99 degrees. That was without a gap, though.

If you've been following my posts on the subject then you would know that I have, multiple times, gone on 30-45 minute drives in search of shade and found none, in various areas in and near Seattle. If you don't believe me you're welcome to come see for yourself. But I have to ask you please don't bother trying to turn this thread into general advice about avoiding the heat/sun in the first place. I created this thread because I don't have that option right now.

Optimistic Paranoid, eDJ_ those look/sound awesomely functional. :D

Hey Bitty, No need for shade now but the next hot day we have that you want to drive 30-45 minutes, come to Tacoma. Its about 30 minutes from SoDo. I will take you to shade. Be fun to meet a fellow vandwelling Homie anyway.
//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/