Stealth in the SF Bay Area ( east and north).

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate hearing your take on things, off grid, my instinct so far with my windowed van has been in line with your experience. So far I have decided to be less "stealth" and more "non-threatening girl in her van" and I haven't had any problems yet.

Do you cover your windows up with curtains? I had the same thought, that people are more afraid of what they can't see than what they can, and a heavily curtained or secretive van might attract fear in the residential areas I've been hanging out. I do use curtains to block light out at night, but usually take them off during the day so people can see in and see that there's nothing threatening or weird going on. I do wonder if this could make me a potential target for vandalism though, so I guess it's a trade off.

I love having windows, there's nothing more incredible than waking up to a beautiful view, or the sun coming in.

I really never block my windows unless I'm somewhere really hot with no shade, and I'm trying to keep the sun out. Otherwise, I figured out long ago that a sleep mask was far easier than messing with window coverings, and I really don't care if someone peeks in and sees me sleeping. I kind of figure that's a good thing, because they're less likely to try and break in if they know you're there.

I figure if the neighbors can see me in my van, they know what I look like, and that they have never seen me doing anything wrong, so they don't need to worry about me.

If I'm changing clothes, I just take a quick glance up and down the street to see nobody's around and within view. Of course my toilet/shower is enclosed.

I enjoy the view, and being able to see what's going on around me. During the day, you can't see much unless you're right up to my van, at night you can see my lights on and see me better. If anybody's watching, they can see me pretty clearly at night, cooking, cleaning, surfing the web, or maybe watching a little TV. None of which is threatening to anyone. Just a normal neighbor who happens to live in a van instead of an apartment.

I think most people figure I'm connected with someone else living in the apartment complex, which could also help to alleviate any fears.

I'm planning to start stealth camping in the east bay on August 1, 2015. Anyone else currently doing this here? Anyone thought of renting a parking space for $100 or $150? I'd rather not rent, but I also would rather not get hassled by police. I'm looking for spaces to park near the UC campus during the night. During the day I'll move it to Albany while I'm out, where it's free to park on side streets.

I have a conversion van... any thoughts?

Rainy

RainySummer said:
I'm planning to start stealth camping in the east bay on August 1, 2015. Anyone else currently doing this here? Anyone thought of renting a parking space for $100 or $150? I'd rather not rent, but I also would rather not get hassled by police. I'm looking for spaces to park near the UC campus during the night. During the day I'll move it to Albany while I'm out, where it's free to park on side streets.

I have a conversion van... any thoughts?

Rainy

Rainy, If you just post a question once, it will be read and answered.  The members read multiple threads, and answer those they have an opinion and or knowledge on.  

I would give you suggestions, but it has been a long time since I lived in that area.

Janet100 said:
I guess I'm not as opposed to window vans as I was in the beginning.  With a heavy tint, they are almost impossible to see through.  In California, it is pretty hard to park and not be rousted by the police if they know you are sleeping in your car.  I think it may be illegal in most cities in the Bay Area to sleep over night in your car on a street or in a parking lot. For this reason I thought the cargo van would allow me to have lights on in the back with a black out curtain behind the cab.

Windows don't have to mean no lights. link

I need to be in San Francisco for 6 months. I live in a 26 foot class c. I can't find any rv spaces for under $600 a month! Any ideas if stealth parking/ dry camping in the bay area is possible. Where do people park?

I've seen some RV parked at night in Berkeley and the cops don't seem to bother them
I think it was in the area of the campus
Hopefully someone else can add to this

Moved from The Bay area 8 years ago, so no current info . There are a lot of marinas in the Bay Area, and I don't think most of the parking lots are well monitored. I lived at Union Point Basin on Embarcadero St. in Oakland. The lot was open to the public as it was also used for the park. There is a channel that runs between Oakland and Alameda Called the Alameda Estuary. On both sides of this channel are side roads that are semi industrial.

I lived in an RV on a street called Tidewater in Oakland. Some parts of it had heavy morning truck traffic, As there were dirt haulers waiting to pick up. Further away fro High St. would be quieter. Alameda may be stickier as they have a lot of LE with not much to do. There was two roads there that I remember. Clement and Shoreline Drive. Just North of Clement on Grand St, there was a boat ramp and parking area. On Shoreline there was lots of apartment buildings and on street parking. There was also a marina off of Blanding near Park St. On the west end of the island there was a Navy base that got shut down. May be places out that way now.

I don't remember the road names

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

There are tons of spots all over the bay with thousands of rv and misc vehicle/trailer dwellers living on the streets, some stealth most not. Best way to not get hassled is to rotate through as many as you can. Not a lot of rv dumps and the few that exist are 10-20 bucks. Stay away from residential and in most scenerios you will get 72 hrs unless there is a sign saying otherwise.

Along Highway 1 in Santa Cruz county is also safe. been there.

Latest posts