Staying warm for a few nights...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke

Reaction score
I will be sleeping in my Sienna for a few nights in freezing weather as I make my way south. My plan is to crack the windows a little bit and use a good sleeping bag with a down comforter on top. And hope for the best; will this work ok, or will I be completely miserable?

I suppose that would depend on what sort of weather your sleeping bag is rated for and how cold the temps are.

If your sleeping bad is rated for 40°-60°f and it's -10°f you're probably in for a rough time (and possibly death, I'd imagine). If it's a good, warm bag and the temps aren't TOO cold, you'll probably be just fine.

Myke, In early January I drove from Ehrenberg north to Missoula Montana. (Backwards, right???) what I did was get my van REALLY warm, heater on high, for about 20 minutes before I stopped. Then I'd crawl into my sleeping bag and go to sleep.

It took about an hour before the cold woke me up. I'd get up and drive until I began to get sleepy, then get it really warm and sleep for another hour.

That worked until Deer Lodge Montana, where factoring in the wind chill, it was 25 degrees below zero at 1 a.m. I then did something I usually would NEVER do! Something that I've been warned against all my life - even right here on this forum! I left the van running for two hours while I slept!

I was ehausted, couldn't keep my eyes open another minute, and decided my choices were, 1. Die in an accident caused by my sleepiness, 2. Freeze to death in -25 weather, or 3. Die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Happily, none of those things happened, and I made it home to my freezing cold house, which I soon warmed up with a roaring fire in my wood stove.

I'm not IN ANY WAY advocating leaving the vehicle running while you're sleeping!!! I'm just saying what I did THIS ONE TIME when I felt my choices were limited!

Going to and coming back from RTR, I had some cold nights. Two of them in the teens. I run my Mr. Heater Buddy when I'm up and around, but not when I go to sleep. So I rely on my bed keeping me warm.

First, I sleep on a 6" memory foam mattress, so that takes care of insulation below. On top I have a sheet, then a queen-size comforter that is doubled over. That's all I need for night in the upper 20s and warmer. For the couple of nights in the teens, I add on a doubled over velox blanket. I pull some of the covers up around my head --- basically leaving only a bit of my face out just like if I were in a sleeping bag.

I stay plenty warm with all of that. The brutal part is having to get out of the toasty bed. LOL

Marie said:
I was ehausted, couldn't keep my eyes open another minute, and decided my choices were, 1.  Die in an accident caused by my sleepiness, 2. Freeze to death in -25 weather, or 3. Die of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Well that all sounds rather scary!

WriterMs said:
Going to and coming back from RTR, I had some cold nights. Two of them in the teens. I run my Mr. Heater Buddy when I'm up and around, but not when I go to sleep. So I rely on my bed keeping me warm.

First, I sleep on a 6" memory foam mattress, so that takes care of insulation below. On top I have a sheet, then a queen-size comforter that is doubled over. That's all I need for night in the upper 20s and warmer. For the couple of nights in the teens, I add on a doubled over velox blanket. I pull some of the covers up around my head --- basically leaving only a bit of my face out just like if I were in a sleeping bag.

I stay plenty warm with all of that. The brutal part is having to get out of the toasty bed. LOL
Cool, that sounds really encouraging. It will probably be in the 20s a couple of nights most likely.

Keep in mind that you have the option of wearing thermal underwear and/or a fleece jogging suit to bed instead of conventional pajamas or whatever.  Either or both can be a big help when it's cold.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Keep in mind that you have the option of wearing thermal underwear and/or a fleece jogging suit to bed instead of conventional pajamas or whatever.  Either or both can be a big help when it's cold.

Regards
John
Good idea...

I have tent camped in the high teens F, sleeping on an inflatable mattress, with no problems.  I occasionally had to open my -15F bag to keep from sweating.  Had a folded GI surplus wool blanket on top of the air mattress.
As with anything proper preparation is key.

a good sleeping bag and comforter is the key. my thought is your bed should keep you warm with no outside heat source. test your system out before departing. highdesertranger

There are way too many variable factors for any of us to be able to tell you whether you will be comfortable in those conditions with what you have.

For me personally, I'm quite underweight and extremely sensitive to cold.

Sleeping in my Sienna I'm less than 2 feet from the ceiling (heat rises) on a massage table with 4" memory foam, so I'm well insulated beneath. The windows currently do not have reflectix but rather corrugated plastic inserts, so they are not insulating as well as they theoretically could but definitely warmer than bare glass.

With this setup, at around 45F my main sleeping bag, which is 0F rated, is insufficent for me to be comfortable. Note I'm using a thermal liner inside that sleeping bag, which of course adds heat. I have a cheap 45F rated sleeping bag that I use either as a comforter over it all or, if it gets really cold, I zip up and nest the entire main bag inside it.

When it got down to below 30F this setup was insufficient. Thermal underwear was tried and didn't work for me due to medical issues requiring my abdoman be unrestricted. "Adult onsies" or "footed pajamas" turned out to be the answer for me. I now have two of them and occasionally wear both or one over clothing when hanging out in my van when it's cold. They aren't breathable so I generally dislike sleeping in them (sweat happens), but when there are those times when it's just too cold they've turne dout to be a lifesaver and have really made winter a lot more bearable for me.

Getting a solid insulated coat has also made a huge difference.

I personally don't crack the windows, but that's because I'm in Seattle where theree's usually pretty high humidity and cracking them does nothing for moisture. Instead I have a 12v dehumidifier running whenever the vehicle is, and I also run AC and heat at the same time whenever driving to also control humidity. I blast heat as high as possible before parking, and ultimately if I get too cold then as a last resort I move on early or *cringe* idle the engine.

I have a down comfortor that I use in the summer. It's encased in cotton, which becomes COLD to the touch in any humidity, and is absolutely miserable in winter so it goes in storage until the sun comes back. I love it in the summer, when I pack away my sleeping bags.

So like I said, these are my experiences, with my particular factors, yours are likely to be very different.

highdesertranger said:
a good sleeping bag and comforter is the key.  my thought is your bed should keep you warm with no outside heat source.  test your system out before departing.  highdesertranger

Agree with HDR.  Make sure your kit will keep you warm for the coldest you can encounter.

What I do to keep warm in cold temps (I've slept in temps down to -50°F):

- Very good insulation under you (as important as insulation over you).
 - Very good sleeping bag or blankets (some people don't like the restriction of bags).
 - A blanket over the sleeping bag can add a lot of warmth (if it doesn't compress the insulation under it).
 - If your bag has a cinching hood use it, if not wear a hat.
 - Warm clothing inside the bag (sweat pants and zip turtleneck work for me).
 - Your covers need to breathe or you will be wet in the morning.
 - Can throw a polypropylene blanket over your head to create a small breathing 'room'.
 - Eat something right before bed (start the digestive fires).
 - Exercise before bed will warm you up too (do both!).
 - A (non-leaking) hot water bottle or two can add lots of warmth (chemical hand warmers too).
 - Wool socks to keep feet warm (usually way to warm for me).
 - Two are warmer than one; dogs are furnaces (if you can keep them under the covers!).
 - If nature calls, close the bag up.  It will remain warm for your return.

As an aside; wind chill only affects you if you are exposed to wind.  A shelter (van) should get no colder than the outside temp.

-- Spiff