Starting build out 2015 Ford 150

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaco

Reaction score
Hi,

Few question before I start the build out. I have been researching forums and watching youtube videos on insulation. I feel more confused now then ever lol. There seems to be a thousand ways to do it and everyone has a different opinion on it.

I really just want to do it right and get started.

I will be living in NE Pennsylvania so I have 4 seasons to deal with. Freezing cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. I have to stay in the area for another year or two before I can start Work Camping and traveling.

1- Sound Barrier - Is it worth it to do a sound dampening? Will the insulation be enough to keep things quieter? I need to be somewhat stealth so I want to keep the inside and outside noise down as much as possible.

2- Reflectix - To get the R value with the air gap will moisture be a problem getting trapped between the van wall and reflectix? Would it be better to use 3/4 in Bubble wrap then place the reflectix?

I have until spring before I need to start living in my new home :D . So, I have a few months to get the build done. Only obstacle is winter is here, have to deal with freezing temps during the build.

Forgot to add some photos.

Attachments

• van 1.jpg
    van 1.jpg
    799.6 KB
  • van 2.jpg
    van 2.jpg
    752.6 KB
  • van 3.jpg
    van 3.jpg
    756.8 KB
Anyone ever use duct insulation for sound deadening. It is not tar based but butly backed and thin foil face. It says it has a R value of 3.

Any thoughts on using this first as a sound barrier?

I was also thinking of 3M gluing Cork Underlayment for hardwood floors, any thoughts?

Or, is sound not a big deal once the van build completed, with insulation and interior?

Attachments

• van 4 duct insulation.jpg
    van 4 duct insulation.jpg
    818 KB
since you are going to be in the cold I would forget the sound barrier and the reflextic and concentrate on insulation. highdesertranger

1. Sound deadening is super expensive, pack all free air space with polyiso foam board or pink foam board and it will be nice and quite

2. Reflectix is good for reflecting sunfrom windows like a sun shade, use foam board for insulation.

I used some polyiso foam board with silver foil on each side and im really happy with that, the pink foam board would be another option. I think the trade off is R value vs. moisture resistance.

As far as sound deadening it is more extremely more expensive than what its worth IMO.

My van is queit and I can really tell the insulation is there when it is cold and the wind blows.

Sweet van by the way. I would suggest to put in all the wiring and roof vent before insulation. For the floor I'd just do some 3/8 plywood if i did mine again.

Reflectix is good for reflecting sun from windows probably about worthless between walls.

Yeah, aside from some window shades, I don't see Reflectix as having a part in a 4 season build. It'd be better than nothing, but you have a nice new van...do it right and use rigid foam board or thinsulate from the start.

Sound deadening seems to really be two categories when talking about vans, and watching YouTube builds I think some people get confused as to why they're doing what they're doing. In general, your normal insulation steps will also give you the best sound proofing from the outside environment. You will also see people use Dynamat-type membranes...these are expensive and don't do much of anything for outside environmental noises. They are vibration dampeners for for metal-to-metal vibration issues. Transits have a few spots where you would want to use this in hand-sized pieces...check the Transit forums for specific problem spots and placement.

Cork is a nice insulator, both thermal and sound, it's drawback is moisture retention. I had planned to use it...now decided against. You'll want polyiso insulated floors, especially for winter...yeah, losing even an inch height sucks, but deciding after a full build-out that you wished you had might suck worse ;)

Thank you all for the input. I'm going to go with the polyisoprene .

So with the polyisoprene do I glue it right to the metal? Or just use thermal tape to hold everything in place.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Also I ordered the maxxair 7000k. I will install that first.

I like your van :). My hardest thing was to decide on a final plan, there's so many ideas out there. You might consider buying everything you plan on having in it i.e. batteries, refrig, water, propane, clothes...then make a plan/build accordingly. Building and then finding items don't fit or weren't thought of can be tough.

Thanks Bob. I want to jump right in and start building lol. Your right it's hard to decide so many great ideas and ways to do it.

I have to sit down and come up with a plan. Have to watch the budget lol, it's easy to go over budget really fast.