SSI & vandwelling? (not sure if this is where I should ask...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyslife

Reaction score
Are there any here that simply receive SSI and find that you can't live in "society's idea of housing" on what you get? How do you survive? I know in Ohio, you can still get SSI and be homeless but, will they cut my benefits down - I don't know. . As far as surviving, I know I can do it on the amount I receive now but not if they cut my benefits at all. If there is anyone else, I am interested in knowing how you survive - can you pm me if you don't mind sharing - promise confidentiality. I wouldn't be asking if this weren't getting to a critical point of "soon to be homeless" (I don't know how they figure any one person could live on all I get - and yes, I have worked but, due to health issues I didn't earn enough work credits in the past ten years to receive full disability). I have a van and will be converting it to my living quarters starting next week.

I doubt you would get your SSI cut for being homeless. I know several people that are living on the streets that get SSI and food stamps. One gets almost $1000 per month SSI but is stupid with his money and blows it all the first week or two. Then begs the rest of the month. One guy I know lives like a king in Thailand on his SSI. And plenty of travelers use their food stamps on the road, from state to state. Or sell them for 50¢ on the dollar to get beer or drugs. Not advocating anything, just saying what I've seen.
BTW, I can survive on $500 per month, that's from money saved when I'm working (mostly summertime)

Cindi - SSI is a needs based program for those disabled, blind or the elderly. It is different than Social Security, which is as you have said based on what has been paid in by both employers and employees (individual).

I'm not sure how the state would view being (technically or actually) homeless. I've been wondering myself how my moving into my van will effect my food stamps. I'm in the same boat as you (although I receive SSDI benefits, not SSI), expenses keep rising but I'm not well enough to make additional money by going back to work. It's to the point that I can pay for my healthcare & meds or I can pay rent but not both. I knew this day would be coming but I thought it would be a year or two off. Unfortunately my health insurance and Rx insurance JUMPED this year, my food stamps went down & other stuff out of my control. I was already living on a pretty tight budget. So I'm making the choice to move into a van and be adventurous.

My advice would be to see if your state has a benefit calculator online and run the numbers many ways. Also, there are several to many posts on either Bob's blog or in the forums about budgeting with $500 - 600. It's not easy but it is doable. I'd find the posts myself but it's difficult for me on my phone. I gave up my WiFi a while back so don't bring my computer out unless I'm someplace with WiFi.

I used to be a benefit administrator for 15+ years for small businesses so I needed to know all sorts of benefit questions that would usually fall into a social workers pervue. I've been sick for several years now and Obama care has made much of my info obsolete. I hope someone with updated knowledge can help you navigate. 

gypsychic said:
Cindi - SSI is a needs based program for those disabled, blind or the elderly
SSDI is for the disabled - Social Security Disability
SSI is for Seniors who have worked and paid into it (Social Security Insurance which one is eligible to file for after they turn 62

apples and oranges

SSI is welfare for the disabled(or children) who have paid nothing or very little into Social Security.SSI is usually a small amount. SSDI is disability for those who have worked a certain amount and have paid into Social Security .The amount received is quite a bit more than SSI receives. Social Security is what you become eligible for at age 62 at the earliest.

Regardless of what you get, please be sure to investigate the state you will establish residency in while retired. Some have really great support for seniors, where housing is HUD controlled rents. Those states have a better balance of budget to handle seniors costs.