Sprinter Van Max Capacity Weight?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FernwehTramp

Reaction score
Shopping for a new Sprinter Van. The option of how much weight (payload capacity) came up. I will be living in the van full time so it will have just about everything in it.
Rough ideas of what my "max payload" will be once the build is done? I know there are a ton of variables. I just want to make sure I get something that covers me.

The only real way to know the max payload is to weigh the rig in question on a truck scale with a full tank of fuel ready to drive w/ all other fluids and nothing else in it.  Then check the GVWR rating on the door tag and subtract the scale weight from that.

Do not believe anything the manufacturer states about payload or anything that a salesman says about it also.

Understand. But you can buy them at different max load ratings.
Max payloads being: 3083, 4049, 4342 and 5100 lbs.

I'm trying to decide what vehicle to buy to make sure it covers my build.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FernwehTramp said:
Understand. But you can buy them at different max load ratings.
Max payloads being: 3083, 4049, 4342 and 5100 lbs.

I'm trying to decide what vehicle to buy to make sure it covers my build.

Ok.  There must be things that you know that you want.  If you share the things that you are sure of about such as what features and options you want in the van from the factory and what you want in your build of the van we would have a much better chance at giving pertinent feedback.   At this point all we know is "Sprinter".

I have a 3/4 ton van. For what I carry, I could have gotten away with a half ton van. Right now my suspension is much stiffer than I need.

I don't know what you consider "just about everything," so it's hard to say what load capacity you'll need.

only you can answer this. you can get a rough estimate with a little planning and some math. I would add 10% to all your weights. highdesertranger

29chico said:
Ok.  There must be things that you know that you want.  If you share the things that you are sure of about such as what features and options you want in the van from the factory and what you want in your build of the van we would have a much better chance at giving pertinent feedback.   At this point all we know is "Sprinter".
Well I want a 12 volt refrigerator, induction stove top, fold down to full bed, covering the roof top with solar, lithium battery setup, sink, super small shower etc... Everything for a full timer person.

MrNoodly said:
I have a 3/4 ton van. For what I carry, I could have gotten away with a half ton van. Right now my suspension is much stiffer than I need.

I don't know what you consider "just about everything," so it's hard to say what load capacity you'll need.
You said you could of gotten away with a 1/2 ton van. What does your build look like? If I see yours I could compare it make to what I'm planning and get an idea if that will fit me.

Mr Noodly is a true minimalist, your van (and every one elses) will have 10 times more stuff in it. My van has 30 times more stuff in it, right Mr. Noodly!! It's almost like I have to carry everything he doesn't!

I do carry lots of stuff and the last time I weighed it on a landfill scale it was at 8400 pounds--but I'm not sure how accurate that is at a county landfill. I have a 1 Ton rated at 9900 pounds so it's fine.
Bob

Sprinter (and Transit) hightop builds are presented with a bit of a conundrum: You get all that wonderful extra space when compared to a cargovan, but you don't get commensurate increase in cargo weight capacity. As a result, most of the builds you'll see on the Sprinter/Transit forums which are done on the 2500/250 platforms fall into one of 3 categories:

1) Overweight,
2) Compromises in build, usually in not including holding tanks (or very small ones)
3) Use of weight-saving (but expensive) materials such as 80/20 (aluminum framing for everything)

80/20:

80-20%20frame-setup.jpg

Here's an example of a very nice Sprinter build that payed close attention to weight, and in end didn't put in tanks because of it:  http://www.stealthsprinter.com/van-build/finished-van-photos/
image.jpg

It's fair to say that nobody is ever unhappy buying as much weight capacity as they can afford...if you're looking at the long wheelbase + high roof models, it's likely you'd be well served to go with the 3500/350 models. If you're the type to tee-total all your materials' weight and go right up to GVWR, I believe the Transits offer a slightly higher capacity.

FernwehTramp said:
Well I want a 12 volt refrigerator,  induction stove top, fold down to full bed, covering the roof top with solar, lithium battery setup, sink, super small shower etc... Everything for a full timer person.

Don't forget to include clothing (all 4 seasons), water, disposal tanks, food supplies, cooking gear, sports gear, spare liquids for the vehicle, tools, camping gear like lawn chairs and maybe a screen room, bedding (4 season) etc. etc. etc.

Even the light weight stuff adds up - charge controllers, battery chargers, wiring, plumbing don't seem like much but together they add up and quickly too!!

If you're full timing it, unless you're a total minimalist, you're going to be carrying a whole lot more weight than you initially think you are.

While some weight can be saved on the build - I used 1/2" plywood on a vertical plane for my bed and it's fine for one person, two and there's be a problem, some gymnastics and there'd be a REAL problem.... :D . There are some areas where you really don't want to skimp. I used 1/2" plywood for all my cabinetry and then ran into problems with one wall of the pantry bowing out when placed under the load of the food supplies in the drawers. I also ran in to fitting problems when I put the door hinges on. All the problems could have been avoided if I'd used heavier plywood but I was intent on saving weight..sigh!!

1/2" plywood can be very effective in fact I have also used 1/2" plastic sheeting to make storage. It reduces the weight and increases space utilization.

When using 1/2" the greater the sizes the need for some support increases. Corners may need a small square of wood to provide support.

Flat horizontal spans can be supported with face frames and lateral shims.

3471f0c505d0473da037cb436157a596.jpg

On my Prius door table design I used luan that is very thin and added a thin rib to either underside edge to support the length vs the weight.

c8c1b72c98563c0048afca212fdd029e.jpg

The rib, although small, will proved the strength I needed for the usage.

Light weight and strong enough for the purpose.

Brent

you don't even want to know how much weight I carry. lol. besides it has nothing to do with how much you carry. highdesertranger

HDR,

I parked next to you (down hill) at this year's RTR and I couldn't believe how much you carried. I was impressed by your organization for it all.

Brent

highdesertranger said:
you don't even want to know how much weight I carry. lol. besides it has nothing to do with how much you carry. highdesertranger
Sounds like you have mastered the art of packing [emoji1]

I'm trying to decide if I should get the 2500 or the 3500 Sprinter. Do I really need the 3500? I really just have no idea. I do know I will be going with the 4x4 option as I plan on driving a lot in the snow. I'm big into snowboarding.

Orberneldon yes you were camped right below me in the Prius. even though you vehicle is the polar opposite of mine, I do admire your frugal approach. there is a lot to be said for the minimalist side.

F'Tramp I feel there is very little downside for having the maximum weight capacity except for fuel economy. highdesertranger