Sprinter is Still Going Strong 257k mi

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanGirl

Reaction score
Those of you looking for a van should consider a Sprinter. It gives you living space and fuel economy.<br>I bought my Sprinter new in 2004. It now has 257,000 miles on it and is still going strong. In the life of this van so far I have spent less than $2,500 in repair parts. I'm on my third set of tires and third battery. I do all my own labor so I don't have to worry about that. The MB 5 cyl diesel is a very strong engine. I even pull my 31 foot travel trailer with it sometimes. I have also lived in it for long periods of time. Overall it has saved me thousands of dollars in fuel cost and motel bills. I love it.

My interest in the sprinter began when it was first introduced but work and kids and money kept me away now with my limited funds i have gone with ford E350 ex bubble super duty 7.3 diesel 3500 bucks going to quartzite tomorrow for maiden longer trip hope to arrive tuesday 3/12/13

Going by what I've read in Sprinter owner forums, you've had good luck. Or maybe it's that some other owners have had bad luck.

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888"><BR>VanGirl, Yeh, I reckon thats a Good choice,</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888"><BR>&nbsp;I would agree that the Mercedes Sprinter is a bit expensive when it comes to maintenance but they have sold ten of thousands of these here in Australia&nbsp;including tray truck, delivery truck to motorhome versions and they have a good reputation for reliability. I guess as more are being sold the cost of parts/maintence&nbsp;is coming down.&nbsp; </SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">They have to be a tuff bit of kit to last under Australian conditions. We don't have an interstate road network like you guys.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">I don't know what size capacity the turbo engine is (2.6ltr-3.0ltr !!!) but it produces alot more power than my 4ltr Japanese turbo diesel truck does.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">I think the likes of the Sprinter and Iveco type van trucks will be the way to go in the future especially when considering the environment, rising price of fuel.<BR></SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">I would hate to say it but the fuel guzzling V8 dinosaur is finished everwhere outside the U.S.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Don't get me wrong&nbsp;there is nothing like the sound of a&nbsp;V8 in fact I have an intercooled 500HP 14ltr VT903 Cummins V8 in&nbsp;one of my trucks. at 6mpg I couldn't run it everyday.<BR>Geoff<BR><BR>PS Vangirl as you probably already know the most important thing with your Diesel is changing the filters (fuel, Oil, air) and engine oil regularly especially if its turbo charged.<BR><BR></SPAN></STRONG></EM>

Despite the North American Vanner purist's hatred of the Sprinter in these parts, I've always liked the Sprinter for its pure functionality. &nbsp;MPG interior room, win win.<br><br>Me thinks our interstates might be over represented. &nbsp;If we are talking racking up easy and low stress highway mile/distance miles, Oz's roads in my experience('99) were just as easy to rack up the kilometers as US interstates, without the major issue of running into a city during rush hour where forward progress becomes futile, and one's misanthropic tendencies get accentuated into the dangerous zone.<br><br>Many of our roads and Interstates are falling apart and beyond their design life, and holding a steady 110km/k or 68 mph for hours on end is not as easy as it once was, in many places.<br><br>What I liked the most about driving in remote OZ, the drivers coming the opposite direction, waved.&nbsp;

I don't think my success with my Sprinter is luck. I know many owners with the same or better high mileage success. I have had the usual issues, the difference is that I fix the problems myself. I always carry spare parts for known problems. Spare hoses, alternator, belts, fluids and tools.<br><br>The Sprinter forums are a blessing and a curse. Most, if not all posters are owners with problems. Those without problems never post. I have had the usual issues, the difference is that I fix the problems myself. I hate getting grease all over me as much as the next person but it saves me so much money.<br><br>As I have mentioned before, my Sprinter hates being off the pavement, tho I have it in the mountains of NM on gravel and dirt roads 50% of the time. The rear end of the Sprinter is so light the wheels will spin when climbing on wet, snowy, muddy and sandy roads. I have lots of weight in it including 2 heavy solar batteries and water tanks. The torque is just too strong!

thats good news on the sprinter how easy is the access to the vital parts like filters and glow plugs and injectors? With the E350 a bit tough it;s all hidden and my hands are too big. Going to quartzite today from Sf. Week off and first long trip take care you road warrior.

Everything except alternator replacement has been very user friendly. <br><br>The engine setup is much like an old flat head 6 cyl gas engine.<br><br>Glow plugs on top. Easier to change than most spark plugs.<br>Injectors on top but under a valve cover. No problems so far. I carry a spare.<br>Oil filter on top in front. Less than 5 min. to change. <br>Fuel filter under the hood lower behind oil filer. A little difficult.<br>Cabin filter under the hood easy access. 15 min. to change.<br>Air filter under the hood on left side. Easy after removing the air hose and 2 wire plugs.<br>Transmission filter easier than most. A drain plug on the pan. 6 bolts on the pan.<br>EGR valve on top 3 bolts and 1 hose. Very easy to change.<br><br>Common issues on my years model:<br><br>Main fan belt breakage also breaks a rubber hose transmission line to the cooler.<br>EGR valve clogs if you idle all night. (fast idle stick help)<br>Turbo resonator fails, solution is to replace with a resonator eliminator up front.<br>Turbo hose to the engine intake can have frequent failure. I carry a spare. <br><br><br><br><br>

I have been wanting a sprinter van for a long time but can't afford one right now, and they are hard to find. The lowest price I've seen for a sprinter was about $12,000 for&nbsp;a 2002 in California. &nbsp;

MrNoodly said:
I wonder what the deal is with this one. $8795, 206k miles, long high top version... Something doesn't add up.<br><br>http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/3673976295.html
<br><br>T1N's are known for their injector problem... usually around this mileage.<br><br>notice that cylinder head is removed... http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23412<br><br>http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16068<br><br>http://www.sprinter-rv.com/2011/11/25/buying-a-used-sprinter-top-ten-problems-to-look-out-for/

If I were close enough I would take a chance on it. I want a bigger one than what I have. 2002 was an intro and bug year but at 200k miles the bugs should be out of it. <br><br>VanGirl

I'm considering a sprinter myself. I have done some mechanical work before. I've changed a thermostat, fan switch, alternator, etc.. I like the easy access to components.

They are very expensive though unless I buy someone else's problem.

Latest posts