Sprinter Interior Number 4

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanGirl

Reaction score
Some of you are aware of the 2004 Sprinter I have lived in off and on for the past 11 years. The interior is getting worn and I want something different. I bought the little Sprinter new in 2004 and have done 3 complete redos (this will be 4) of the interior. I tore everything out last weekend and I'm ready to start the new build. I'm open to ideas.

This Sprinter is the 118 in. wheelbase the smallest one made in that year. It has 9 feet in the cargo area.
I want a full size width for the bed (two short people can sleep in it). One that slides in and out so that I have a sofa in the daytime. I sleep across the van, it works for me. I saw one on this site that someone made. 
I want the kitchen (sink, 2 burner stove, microwave and refrigerator) mounted by the door so I can cook from the inside and out, not sure how to do this part. 
I want a permanently mounted wave 3 propane heater. AC is already mounted and runs from a Honda 1000i when needed.  I also want/need a port-a-potty, TV and new WiFi and cell antennas. I'm very good at woodworking so I want it to look very finished when the project is complete. 

The van is insulated very well. I have spent summers in TN, Texas, NM and Arizona in it (thanks to the air-conditioner). So what I have is a 6w x 9L x 5.5 H' space to work with. I get better with each interior but this will be the last one for the Sprinter.

I'm retiring at the end of the year so I want this van to be ready for full-time living again. I will be keeping my home base in New Mexico or Texas not positive yet. Texas looks better for health insurance and taxes but I love my place in NM at 6800 ft under the tall pines it is so cool in the summer. I have been based south of Tucson about 20 miles for the past 2 years.

Please share your ideas !!

VanGirl

VanGirl said:
I'm retiring at the end of the year so I want this van to be ready for full-time living again. I will be keeping my home base in New Mexico or Texas not positive yet. Texas looks better for health insurance and taxes but I love my place in NM at 6800 ft under the tall pines it is so cool in the summer. I have been based south of Tucson about 20 miles for the past 2 years.

If I understand the situation correctly, it would be entirely legal for you to become a Texas resident through the Escapees Club in Texas, spend pretty much ALL of you time traveling outside of Texas, and own vacation property in New Mexico without being considered a New Mexico resident.

Of course, you should verify that with a lawyer in Texas or New Mexico.  After all, this is the Internet, and for all you know, I could be a dog . . .

Regards
John

Hi VanGirl...Hope all is going well for you. I remember chatting with you just before you got to that area and we were still there. Good luck on the remodel.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
If I understand the situation correctly, it would be entirely legal for you to become a Texas resident through the Escapees Club in Texas, spend pretty much ALL of you time traveling outside of Texas, and own vacation property in New Mexico without being considered a New Mexico resident.

Of course, you should verify that with a lawyer in Texas or New Mexico.  After all, this is the Internet, and for all you know, I could be a dog . . .

Regards
John

Thanks John, My decision for a TX or NM home base is really about taxes and health insurance. NM and AZ both have state income tax, TX does not. It is very easy for me to move my DL back to TX as I own a farm there and still pay them a ton of property taxes each year. The biggest issue for me is health insurance. Currently I use VA for my health and they bill my private health insurance from work. I turn 62 next month. I will retire and forfeit my insurance through work at the end of Dec. With VA you are suppose to be enrolled in one state at a time, for me that is AZ right now. I'm not sure I trust VA totally for my health care. I like having the option of other coverage. The Obama Care options in AZ do not offer multi-state or national coverage and I love to travel. TX has the better option for multi-state and national coverage. I only need it for 3 years till I turn 65 and get Medicare. I'm trying to cover all the bases before I retire. I have been moving around TX, NM and AZ for the past several years on my job. I plan to do most of my travels and vandwelling on the west coast or in the southwest. I consider the AZ and NM my home area.

This is from a Transit Connect post I did: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/update-ford-transit-connect-ftc/

How about something like this for the kitchen:
update-cabinet-all-001.jpg

It pulls out and the stove can be used inside and out:

update-kitchen-outside.jpg

Hey...that's the same stove I've got. Love it and use the heck out of it. ^^^

I like the idea of being able to cook inside or outside too. (keeps the heat and the smells outta the van.)