Sports Authority going out of business

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheli

Reaction score
I don't know if this store is only on the East Coast or across the country but they are closing 463 stores and I thought I would share because they are starting their liquidation sales.

If anyone is in need of camping gear you might want to check it out.  I'm thinking of graabbing some of the green propane tanks, cooking gear, backpack and stuff like that.  I'm going to wait it out until the end for best deals.

Cheli said:
I don't know if this store is only on the East Coast or across the country but they are closing 463 stores and I thought I would share because they are starting their liquidation sales.

If anyone is in need of camping gear you might want to check it out.  I'm thinking of graabbing some of the green propane tanks, cooking gear, backpack and stuff like that.  I'm going to wait it out until the end for best deals.

If you wait too long, you may not have the chance to buy what fits or works for you....

Sports Authority is nationwide. It started nearly a century ago as Gart Brothers Sporting Goods here in Denver. (Years back, I was friends with the Leica/Leitz rep and went shooting with him and one of the Garts several times a year. Those were the days!) Through all the mergers that eventually produced the Sports Authority that is now closing, the corporate headquarters always remained here. 

Sports Authority recently bought the naming rights to Mile High Stadium (where the Broncos play) which seems to be fairly relable indicator for impending business failure.

Be VERY careful at the sales. A liquidator bought the stores, and liquidators are famous both for 1) bringing in seconds and selling them without disclosure, and 2) for raising prices before marking them down. 

Go check out the things you like, but then double check against online stores like Sam's Club, Costco and Amazon's before you buy anything.

Yes I agree but I don't "need" anything right now so I'm going to wait a little bit for the amazing deals. I know it's luck of the draw by waiting but in the beginning it's no better than a regular sale that I can get anywhere. I have a ton of camping gear already so I'll just take advantage if I find something at a great price.

:)

cognitive dissonance said:
Be VERY careful at the sales. A liquidator bought the stores, and liquidators are famous both for 1) bringing in seconds and selling them without disclosure, and 2) for raising prices before marking them down. 

Go check out the things you like, but then double check against online stores like Sam's Club, Costco and Amazon's before you buy anything.

Good point, thank you.

Cheli said:

Thanks for the tip on camping gear. I see there are several Sports Authority Stores closing in Arizona.

So with Sport Chalet and Sports Authority now going out of business, that leaves just two big chains: Big 5 and Dick's.

If Big 5 and Dick's were to merge, they're going to have a fun time choosing a name for the new company.