[split] Tilt Solar Panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
Is it worth installing solar panels in a way you can tilt them up? If so it seems they would only tilt in one direction. My thought was tilting up towards the side the sliding door is on as I might want that side facing the sun during the winter months when temps are lower and the angle of the sun low and to the south.

What have others found to work best?

Mod Edit:  There, I gave you your own thread so the existing thread could stay on topic

I bought a 100 watt Renogy solar suitcase last year with a 6’ extension cord, rather than mounting something on my roof where I have to always park in the sun.

I can park in shade or partial shade, and set the solar panel in the sun.

It might be a good idea, to know what degree of tilting is generally recommended, where you live/park.

Where I live (way up north), this is the general recommendation of tilts at different seasons.
angle-cph2.jpg

For comparison, here is the generally recommended angles for Arizona
angle-az2.jpg

I found these recommendations at this web site: 
http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html

Attachments

• angle-cph2.jpg
    angle-cph2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 7
  • angle-az2.jpg
    angle-az2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 9
I first had mine so they tilted the way you describe, toward the side door. But it meant I had to climb onto a chair or stool on the driver side of the van in order to lift and secure the panel. Yes, it was nice getting sunlight in the door as well as on the panel, but it was an annoying chore setting things up and taking them down, especially when I'd be traveling almost daily. So I switched things around so the panel tilts the other way. Now I can just stand in the doorway to lift the panel.

An alternative to tilting the panels is to add more panels. My Dodge has tilting panels (200 watts) and my step van has flat mounted panels (500 watts). Both serve my needs, but the step van is a "set it and forget it" application. Even on cloudy days here in the PNW, my Victron Smart Shunt shows 100% battery capacity by 2:00 PM, and on a sunny day usually by 10:00 AM.

If you have limited solar panel capacity, then tilt. Otherwise add more panels.

check Bob's YouTube channel live stream from March 24th where he discusses that exact issue

We put a 180w solar panel with hinges on the driver side of our hightop van. It was a pain to raise it up. But we found out that it is extremely helpful if we have it face East in the morning or to the South in the winter. When our batteries are the hungriest, facing the side panel towards the rising sun starts out as much as 20:1 production watt for watt vs the top. The top panels only start out-producing at 1000-1100 in the morning.

In the winter, facing the side solar panel to the South gives us a huge boost all day long. Thats nice because when it's cold I'm more likely to cook hot food with the rice cooker/microwave/electric kettle/coffeemaker and as long as we have any sun, I can pretty much do as I please. That's with the caveat that all my small appliances are low wattage. I'm not a fan of open flame inside the van, it is so small.

If it's cloudy, we go for a drive after coffee and treat ourselves to a restaurant meal. Thankfully that's not too often in the desert southwest.
Ted

I have mounted a 305 watt panel on the rear of my trailer with hinges at the top and latches at the bottom so it is secure when traveling and easy to clean. I use two extendable painter's poles to adjust the angle when parked that are fixed to the panel at one end and the trailer at the other. I have a battery bank made up of two !00 amp AGM batteries. As long as I'm facing north with no loads they end up fully charged most of the time by the end of the day when vertical and the panel makes a nice little awning as I usually park facing south and raise the panels to the perfect angle during winter. I seldom have the battery bank below 75% as I have few electrical loads (battery charger for Ryobi 18 volt lights and fans plus phones and such). I use a generator when powering 120 volt appliances for heating (high loads).

On my last rig, I went through the extra work with making the solar array tilt. Had to climb up on roof to change angle. It got old after awhile and didn't use the tilt feature as much as I though I would. If you do plan on tilt, go the super extra mile in designing it to be user friendly so you don't curse under your breath when going to adjust them. If you move move around a lot, you might not enjoy them. If boon docking for extended periods of time and depending on your system size, it make be very much worth it.

There was a fella over on RV.NET that did a flat vs tilted to the south vs all day tracking. Tilted to the south and adjusted for the season gave a 60% increase in overall output. While you do get full potential during the peak of the day, the tilting hinders the panel early and late in the day.

Tracking the sun gave a 90% improvement in total daily output. So a 100 watt panel on the ground tracking is worth nearly twice as much flat on the roof. I can tell you that the 435 watt panel on my truck tracking out produces the flat 750 on my roof in the winter. Your results will vary depending on how far north you are, time of year and just how dirty are those panels on the roof anyways?

Over the winter I considered what it would take to tilt the three 250 watt panels on the roof while I sat still in the winter. It would definitely help. Then again I'm getting hit with high winds with gust close to 50 MPH and wondering about the stress on the screws and thin plywood that is my roof.

I have four panels, one is roof mounted and three are mounted to the side of my coach. If I'm parked in the sun with the side toward the south I can leave the panels attached and tilt the panels. Otherwise I can remove the side panels and using extension cables place them on the ground.

[img=480x360]
In this image the large panel is a plastic 180 watt flexible panel. It died last fall so I replaced it with two 100 watt glass panels.

[img=480x360]

I would have those panels on the side ripped right off. Anything on the side of mine has to be able to handle a tree branch. Highdesertranger

I basically did the same thing but on the rear of my trailer. The panel is a foot or so away from the edges of the trailer and several feet from the end as 12' of the trailer is flatbed. I'm sure I'll find a way to damage it. LOL!!! I've got a flush handle on my side door but I understand even those can be a problem for some people! LOL!!!

Latest posts