South Dakota Residency (my experience)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaedrus

Reaction score
Greetings:<div><br></div><div>Although I am new to the group I should disclose that I have spent the last 10+ years in South Dakota and grew up in Texas.</div><div><br></div><div>South Dakota is the easiest state to set up and maintain residency. &nbsp;Let me outline some points for you to consider that you may not find on a website.</div><div><br></div><div>Getting your drivers license address to be the same as your mail drop is easy. &nbsp;There are some basic procedures/rules but not cumbersome.</div><div><br></div><div>For those that want a concealed weapons permit please research where South Dakota has reciprocity. &nbsp;Note that South Dakota "DOES NOT" require a class or other training for a permit. &nbsp;All you do is fill out a one page form at the county sheriff and for a small fee ($10 I think) you get it in about 2 weeks. &nbsp;The permits are good for 5 years.</div><div><br></div><div>License plates can be renewed by mail. &nbsp;South Dakota "DOES NOT" require proof of insurance to register a vehicle, transfer a title, or renew plates.</div><div><br></div><div>0 state income tax and a very inexpensive place to live should you decide to live here for a summer etc.</div><div><br></div><div>Private mail box options are plentiful of both private and franchise operations (i.e. UPS store)</div><div><br></div><div>Auto insurance is extremely reasonable here compared to Texas. &nbsp;Keep in mind for liability with very high coverages my auto insurance is $50 per month on my 2006 car. &nbsp;If I carried full coverage it would only be about $30 more per month.</div><div><br></div><div>If you have questions about SD residency feel free to ask. &nbsp;I am not an accountant or a lawyer but probably know the answer or no someone who does.</div><div><br></div><div>If you need referrals of whom to do business with I may be able to assist you.</div>

Thanks for the info, phaedrus. Hubby and I are planning to sell our house in Missouri and become vehicle dwellers sometime in the next six months. We are both about to retire from our full-time jobs, as well, in that same time frame.

If we do choose SD for our state of residence, which does seem like a good idea, I assume we would need to make at least one trip to the state to get a mailing address, drivers licenses, vehicle license, etc. Am I correct? If so, what city or town would be the best for that?

Thanks for the info and the link.
Never been to SD.

Is it possible to establish residency in one state while owning a physical home in another? Not sure if there would be any benefits, but thought I'd ask

<p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Interesting question, Seraphim</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I looked it up and found this article.....</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font></p><p style="margin: 0px;" class="head" align="center"><a name="when" target="_blank" target=_blank></a><span class="head1"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt;'><font color="#1a4570">For vacation home tax break, IRS insists youhave fun </font></span></span><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt;'><br><font color="#1a4570"></font></span><span class="byline1"><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><font color="#666666" face="Arial">By </font><a href="http://www.bankrate.com/brm/ask_editors.asp" target="_blank" target=_blank><font color="#1e5186" face="Arial">Cora Barnhart</font></a><font color="#666666" face="Arial"> •Bankrate.com</font></span></span><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt;'><font color="#1a4570"></font></span></p><p style="margin: 0px;" class="head"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt;'><font color="#1a4570"></font></span>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font><span class="body1"><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><font color="#414141" face="Arial">Many taxpayers know that </font><a href="http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/news/20030207a1.asp" target="_blank" target=_blank><font color="#1e5186" face="Arial">homemortgage interest</font></a><font color="#414141" face="Arial"> is one of their most valuable deductions. They're lesslikely to be aware of the rules for deducting interest paid on a vacationdwelling. </font></span></span></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><span class="body1"><span style="font-size: 12pt;"></span></span><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><font color="#414141" face="Arial"></font></span>&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font><span class="body1"><span style="color: rgb(26, 69, 112); font-size: 12pt;"><font face="Arial">Deductible ornot?</font></span></span><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><br><font color="#414141"><font face="Arial"><span class="body1"><span style="mso-ansi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt;">To qualify for this tax break, the Internal Revenue Service insists thatyou have fun. You can't just be all business all the time.</span></span></font></font></span></p><p><font color="#414141"><font face="Arial"><span class="body1"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">In other words, for asecond property to qualify for the home mortgage interest deduction, thetaxpayer must use the additional home for personal purposes during the year. </span></span></font></font></p><p><font color="#414141"><font face="Arial"><span class="googqs-tidbit-0"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Suppose a couplehas a second home they rent out all year, and they never use it</span></span><span class="body1"><span style="font-size: 12pt;"> for their own vacations. </span></span></font></font></p><p><font color="#414141"><font face="Arial"><span class="body1"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Sorry -- no fun, no taxbreak. The property wouldn't qualify as a second home for the purpose of thehome mortgage interest deduction. The IRS will categorize it as rental propertyif it is rented, or investment property if it isn't rented.</span></span></font></font></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><span class="subhead1"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt;'><font color="#1a4570">Whena home isn't a home</font></span></span></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><span class="subhead1"><span style='font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 12pt;'></span></span><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><font color="#1a4570" face="Arial"></font><br><font color="#414141"><font face="Arial"><span class="body1"><span style="mso-ansi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt;">Don't fall into the trap of assuming that a second home has to consistof the traditional combinations of bricks, mortar and/or wood. A second home can include a time share unit, a boat or a recreational vehicle. The catch? These dwellings must include sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities. Interest paid on your second home is deductible if you meet these prescribed tests.</span></span></font></font></span></p><p><font color="#414141"><font face="Arial"><span class="body1"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">So, if you're on the line between a boat or rv with and without a head and galley, think twice. Going with the bathroom facilities could mean the difference between deductible and nondeductible interest.</span></span></font></font></p><p><span class="body1"><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><font color="#414141" face="Arial">For more examples and further explanation, see IRS </font><a href="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf" target="_blank" target=_blank><font color="#1e5186" face="Arial">Publication 527</font></a><font color="#414141" face="Arial">. </font></span></span><span style="font-size: 12pt;"></span></p><p style="margin: 0px;"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font></p>

I was curious more about state income taxes. Ohios are high. It can't be this easy, but to transfer residence to SD for purposes of state tax, etc. and maintain the current house in stasis. - call it a vacation home. Not pay income tax in ohio. Might be difficult convincing Ohio its no longer a primary residence.

Still looking for alternatives to selling/leasing.

Keep in mind property taxes. If a house is no longer your primary residence, you will probably lose any exclusions the state allows for them. For instance, if the state has a homestead exemption for the first $40,000 in assessed value, but it's no longer your primary residence, you'll start paying property tax on that $40,000 in value. And it may be taxed at a different, usually higher rate, if it's no longer the family home. If you rent it out but are no longer a state resident, you'll probably owe state income tax on the rental income, possibly without deductions allowed to residents. Also, check and make sure that information on vacation homes is still current. A lot of deductions on things like that went away in the last 7 or 8 years.<br><br>The way I understand it, most of the advantages to establishing residency in a place like SD is for those who have no stick-and-brick address at all. I could be wrong, of course...<br><br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks gipsy. Good thoughts. I'll check out that exemption information.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I think the experienced members here have convinced me that using the house for a rental would be a last choice - only if financially necessary. So i'm not concerned about paying on rental income.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">We're just having to look hard at all the financial aspects of upcoming retirement, especially with DW retiring about 5 years earlier than she wished.&nbsp; She just couldn't handle what the school systems have degraded to, and with the threat of SB5 in Ohio (eliminating bargaining for public employees) she&nbsp;contracted to&nbsp;an early buyout.&nbsp; Even though SB5 eventually failed, she's still relieved to be out of the school system in June.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Sorry - drifted off topic.</p>

There are also "remailing" companies in south Dakota. For a fee, they will keep all your mail for you. Then, when you stop long enough, call them and they will UPS all your mail to you. Some will open it, with your permission of course, and scan it, so it can be emailed to you.

Also, per the posted comment about a concealed carry permit in SD, in most cases, you go to sheriffs office, fill out one page application. If nothing in your background check flags your application, your concealed carry permit is effective immediately. You get a copy of the application, stamped and signed by the sheriff that is valid until you get the wallet card mailed to you. They say it takes 2 weeks. I had mine in 4 days.

<SPAN id=post_message_1271923425>There are also "remailing" companies in south Dakota.</SPAN>
<br><br>"Escapees" is a popular group out of Texas which has a large support group, as well.&nbsp; Can't offer any comparison of the two, though. Just know they have a large following and offer some unique services. They also provide remailing.<br><br>

I live in SD. If you ever decide to move here you will find a great variety of climates from -30 in winter in the NE to mild winters (relatively so) in the SE part of the state.<br>Hey we have the beautiful Black Hills &amp; lets not forget the surreal beauty of the Badlands. They are beautiful if you get out and experience being a part of&nbsp; them. <br><br>If you allow yourself to get intimate with the Badlands; they will make an indelible mark on your heart.<br><br>

I originally planned to get residency in SD, but got sidetracked to Florida. Several reasons, the main one being no state income tax, no requirement for vehicle inspection stickers, and the relatively low cost of transferring title. I will say that most states have upped the cost of title transfer from one state to another regarding vehicles...I think just the title transfer alone cost almost $300. Then add the cost of maintaining the mail service runs about $20 a month, with a $100 deposit to start the service. The total cost of establishing a residency in Florida was about $500. They have this little county tax thing going on where each county is slightly different according to their tax code. I don't know if SD is similar, but I would hope it would be cheaper....

Simran- you are so correct about the Badlands- spent a&nbsp; week in Wounded Knee, Interior, Martin, Pine Ridge,&nbsp; area.....an area that changes a person......a couple days after in the Badlands was also life changing in a different and more positive way. I have never been more humbled and appreciative of my life by any other place.......I want to return <br><br><br>

good info to know.&nbsp; Once I get on the road I was looking at setting up residency in Texas but I may change my mind and use South Dakota as my residence.

Good info.&nbsp; SD looks to be worth looking into if I find there's something about Texas residence not to my advantage.<br /><br />And anyone who takes the handle, Phaedrus gets extra points from me anyway.

Terri Lund @ MyDakotaAddress is a pleasure to work with and knows her stuff. You won't be disappointed.