Sound like a good deal?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhawksw

Reaction score
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This van is listed at $13,775 and meets my checklist of the basic things I want but when it comes to the engine info, I'm lost. In the photos it looks like it could need new tires before long. Does this sound like a decent deal to you guys? [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's about 3 hours from me and I'm wondering, how do I find a mechanic to check it out? Should I just call and schedule an appt. someplace random? I don't know anyone in the city it's in. Thanks for your suggestions and opinions.

[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2014 GMC SAVANA 2500 CARGO WORK VAN[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]94,812 Miles![/font] 
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]STRONG 4.8L V8 EFI GAS ENGINE[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6- SPEED SHIFTABLE HD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LT 245/75R16E TIRES 70%[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]REAR WHEEL DRIVE[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GVWR: 8,600LB[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GVWR FRONT: 4,100LB[/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GVWR REAR: 5,360LB[/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHEEL BASE: 138"[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The interior is in Great condition!![/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The exterior has a few door dings and some minor scratches.[/font] 
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mechanically the engine runs excellent and the[/font] 
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Transmission is smooth and shifts to Perfection!!![/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]**Clean AutoCheck**[/font] 
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NO ACCIDENTS!!  NO RUST!!  NO LEAKS!![/font]

I'm no expert by any means, but I think you could probably find a better value. It's an almost new van, but already has almost 100k miles? And they want $13.7 for it? The below link is an example of what I (my opinion here) think is not a bad deal. It's an 06 Ford 350. Not the biggest fan of Fords, but a 350 with 70k miles for $5,900.00 is not bad. Looks like an individual selling it so with some negotiation, I'm sure someone could get that for $5,500.00 (or maybe even a bit less). That's less that half of what they want for GMC with more miles. $13,775 - $5,500= $8255 in savings. That extra money could go to refreshing the Ford van and doing a pretty nice build out!

Disclaimer...This is just an example I found this morning. I search CL pretty much daily looking at vans and other vehicles (I'm a car guy). I am not buying this van, again it's just an example for comparison.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-ford-e350-cargo-van/6472073003.html

I looked for vans for a couple of years before I bought one. I wasn't in a huge hurry, so I had time to watch the market (my city and about a 200 mile radius) and figure out what was a good deal. that's what you really need to do because it's all about timing. All the good deals go fast. I got a 2004 E350 super duty club wagon with 93K in good condition with some recent work done it and a nice ladder rack for $4300. I didn't even haggle because I think he knew he had under valued it. I contacted him the day he listed it and bought it the next day. I'm stuck doing all the 100K maintenance and new shocks, but that's only about $500 in parts.

I haven't been in a huge hurry either. I've actually been looking regularly for over a year within 500 miles of my city. I'm only interested in either a Chevy or GMC and I'd like a 2010 or newer with preferably under 100k miles. I'm okay spending up to $16k in order to get these things. Over the last year that I've been looking I've learned, in my area, that usually puts me at asking price of 15k and up. The 94k miles works out to a little over 23k miles a year which to me, isn't bad for a cargo van. I see few and far between with less than 100k miles on them around here. I myself put 20k miles a year on my car regularly and that's just commuting to work and a big trip a year. On CL over the past year the rare vans under 10k offered by individuals usually have really high mileage and are older.

I think you are right, nicnmike, that I have to decide what is a good deal for my area. I've considered ones that are far away and flying to get them, but I'm afraid after investing in a flight, etc. I'd feel compelled to buy it even if I had reservations after seeing it in person. I'd rather stick with something with in driving range of me so I'm not out too much if I decide I don't want it after test driving.

It is very hard to find a Chevy/GMC van with less than 100k miles. Every contractor and business owner wants them for delivery and to work out of.

In my area, that van would sell for that price in one day.

Riverman, you were absolutely right. I just called and he sold it already this morning!

Yes once you've precisely defined the parameters of what you're looking for, fine, take your time waiting for that great bargain to appear

but once it does, have the cash in hand engine warmed up ready to head over there and pounce.

What I'm grappling with is my desire to have my trusted mechanic go through it first.

With boats, it's very common to pay a deposit with a contract "pending surveyor inspection", but they can't sell to anyone else in the meantime.

If the survey then reveals major undisclosed flaws, you can get out of the contract, dicker on price etc.

Anyone know how a similar process can be made to work with land based vehicles?

I knew it would sell fast, GM/low miles/ fair price... gone.