Sophia's Hauler...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... Dang nab it... I had to go get some "Super Strut", or about $40 bucks, yuk!!

Anyway the solar "package" is mounted. The u bolts have some really weak cross straps, so I will have to go back yet again... Only one trip today, so that was good. But I had not planned on dropping an unauthorized 40 bucks... Ohhh well, right?

I will hook up the package and controller in the morning.

Hoping for good volts?

Such Fun!!!

Ok, so I had to wire it all up for testing before final wire sizing...

In full shade and clouds, I was getting this...

image.jpeg

Woot! 

And then it started a huge cloudburst and that was thirty minutes ago! I got soaked trying to seal up the freaking hole in my ceiling! I'm thinking to myself, Really? Now? Couldn't this wait ten minutes?

Oh wait, now I will have to mop out the van floor, because I ran inside, and the back doors were still open... Lol!

OMG, SUCH WET FUN!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    741.6 KB · Views: 27
Today, I realized just how flippin tired I really was!

I did manage to get the passenger wall 99% finished. Just need a little trim piece at the very top, just like the driver's side.

Got the solar controller and meter mounted, and I am pleased with how they turned out.
I had to ponder a bit on exactly how to do it, but I think it turned out quite well.

On the passenger side wall, up as high as possible...
image.jpeg

Some detail in the next post... (Damm iPad thinks all of the images are named the same, and I can't rename them...
Anyone have another way to add images?)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 30
So great to see this build coming together! You're doing a great job and I'll be keeping a keen eye on your progress. :)

We are busily prepping for our very first adVANture!
We now have temp lighting, the mattress/seat cushions are expanding,
and I'm getting a lot of little things done.

I have found it easier to post images via our fakebook build, so there are a lot of fresh images over there. If your so inclined, please have a look and leave a comment or two, letting me know you were there.

I will try to get some images up in here soon, but it may be after we get back.

This build would not have been possible without all the excellent assistance of the fine folks in this forum! NO KIDDING!

Thank you all!

SUCH FUN!!! REALLY!

Hi Everybody!

We are safely back in Tennessee now.

We did however get to meet Seven Wanders in Lakewood, He was a very gracious guy and so humble.
Seven, His real first name, has a huge You Tube following. You can catch him here...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiehnvEFQoPHv1FGUxfNA8g

On the way back home as we were making a pitt stop
in Dickson, Tn, I heard a familiar voice talking with the cashier. I thought no way...

So I paid for my goodies and walked after him. Sure enough, it was Mike from the "BackRoads Vanner" How cool is that?
Mike is a huge You tube superstar, and you can catch his videos here...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4OHXNNLEPZSy0UvmpPkNEw

We chatted for about an hour and we even offered him a driveway spot for the night. He was on his way up to a gathering in
Indiana or somewhere north, but he thought it would be cool to crash on the way back to Texas...

He told us that he bought a farm and has been uber busy doing that...
He mentioned he has plans for more activity, but maybe be a minute or two from now, LOL!
You should go on his FakeBook page "Back Road Vanners" and encourage him to make some more video's!

Really nice guy, and his van looks soooooooo mean!!! Really awesumm!

That "Raptor" tuff coat paint he has on there looks amazing! And it is rock hard...
Reminds me of truck bed lining, but in a pale yellow! No way to scratch it!

The window tint he has on it, keeps the back of the van quite chilly. When he opened the cargo door
to get us a T-Shirt the temp difference was quite impressive.
We had been running MAX and high blower just to keep up, but he says he runs mid temps
and lo blower or he simply freezes up!

We even thought about making a mad dash down to that guy in the DFW area to have ours done!!!
We were almost there anyway...
But Alas, we did not and I was regretting it on the drive back yesterday for sure!!!

He was one of the first "targets" I binged on; youtube and all his master planning advice. Yes, he seems like a great guy. I have bookmarked many ideas and materials used on his van. Way back when I "liked" his Facebook page.

FYI, Mike from "Backroads Vanner.com" has been posting a lot of images
from the van world show on Facebook! There are some VERY awesumm vans there!

As for us, we have been in recovery mode from our last road trip.
I basically have taken the week off.

But, starting Monday, I will be working on the awning... As a tease, it costs less than
a hundred bucks! And it is completely DIY!!!

Such Fun!!!

OMG!!! It is soooo hot, we are sheltered inside with the cooler air conditioning, so not getting anything done lately!

We did manage to build and mount the awning system, however!
It is a DIY system patterned after a guy who made one for his Suburban. The cost was just under $100 bucks.

We used a Harbor freight tarp, 11 x 9, four nine foot poles from Cabelas', and a couple of fencing top rails.

The DIY awning video is here...

And here is our installed version...
awning1.JPG

Such Fun!!!

Attachments

• awning1.JPG
    awning1.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 22
So here is a shot of the awning opened up....
Notice Sandy is still in the garage, lol!
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30