solar powered frig

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fauna

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of videos on solar frig but still can't decide on which one to buy. Can you all tell me your experience with your frig; and why you like it. Price is not a problem. But I wouldn't want to buy a lemon that is over priced either. Thanks all in advance.

How small a fridge can you tolerate?  What size would you like?  Do you need fridge and freezer or is just a fridge enough?  

Once you know those answers you can see prices for fridges that meet those requirements.  Then your budget might make you reconsider your answers.

on the forum you will find a wide range refrigerators. I can't recall any specific brand as being bad. I have 3 Engel's and have been very happy with them, they use very little power. the oldest one is 8 years old, the second oldest is 7. some people say the Engel's are noisy, I don't find that to be a problem. highdesertranger

Stay away from anything branded Norcold, at least the ac/dc kind (not 3 way/propane). I've gone through 4 (FOUR) in two years. The compressors fail. At first I thought there was something wrong with my system, so I had it thoroughly diagnosed by RV techs. Brand new RV, brand new everything, not a thing wrong. They tell me they replace these pieces of garbage on a daily basis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have an Indel-B. Distributed by Truck Fridge.

KathyC said:
The folks at Gnomad Home recently did a deep review of most all of the 12 volt fridges available...check it out:

https://gnomadhome.com/best-12v-portable-refrigerators-for-vanlife/

I have both an ARB and a Dometic CFX...they are both great, but I personally think the Dometic is slightly quieter.

Thank you KatthyC I will certainly check out the link you supplied. This is the info I was looking for. Safe travels.

If you are putting your battery inside go with AGM. It is sealed and does not gas.

Just because others "do it" doesn't make it safe, which is why we do our own research and why your research lead to the AGM choice because you were putting yours inside.

I'm still researching this same thing. So far I'm looking at Trojan batteries. We're in the building stage, will be placing them over the axle. From what I've learned buy at least twice what your Ah draw needs are so you don't discharge the batteries too low and shorten their life. I'm still researching and learning.

KathyC said:

That list doesn't include the Alpicool C15 and C20.  If I were to buy a fridge today I would get one of those.  There are you tube reviews.  They are tiny, 15 and 20 liter but inexpensive, $200 and $230 and very low power and small outside dimensions.  

From what I have been told my $80 fridge had one foot in the grave the day it was made.  It just isn't expensive enough.  I must be looking for a new one soon.

Moxadox said:
Stay away from anything branded Norcold, at least the ac/dc kind (not 3 way/propane).  I've gone through 4 (FOUR) in two years.  The compressors fail.  At first I thought there was something wrong with my system, so I had it thoroughly diagnosed by RV techs.  Brand new RV, brand new everything, not a thing wrong.  They tell me they replace these pieces of garbage on a daily basis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you. This is the info I was looking for. Great advice.

Trebor English said:
That list doesn't include the Alpicool C15 and C20.  If I were to buy a fridge today I would get one of those.  There are you tube reviews.  They are tiny, 15 and 20 liter but inexpensive, $200 and $230 and very low power and small outside dimensions.  

From what I have been told my $80 fridge had one foot in the grave the day it was made.  It just isn't expensive enough.  I must be looking for a new one soon.

Thank you TE. Great info to consider. Safe travels.

Latest posts