Solar Power... how much power can you fit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gburke1

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of living in a van, but it's going to be tough for me as I'm a person who has a constant need to stay 'connected' to the internet and such.

Will it be possible to get a solar system set up that could generate enough power to support a desktop computer? I'd probably be using it around 4 hours a day give or take, after I get off work and also more on the weekends.

I'd also want some electricity left over for things like charging my phone, cooking (with a George Foreman grill or something), maybe a swamp cooler because it's hot and muggy here in KC during the summer.

If possible, what would a system like this cost?

A desktop PC will take 300 watts or more (depending on the power supply and the devices within the PC). The monitor can take up to another 100 watts (assuming a fair sized LCD). For that you will need a VERY beefed up solar and battery system (600 watts and 200-400 amp hours of battery storage; Thousands of Dollars investment) which will cost you significantly more than....

... a laptop and a 100-200 watt solar setup and a single good battery ($300 + laptop).

You will NOT be using your George Foreman and swamp cooler on any solar setup, sorry.

Here are some real world prices for a 720 watt system that should handle the load:

3 each 240 watt panels = $720
Charge Controller $600
Wires, Misc $100
6 each Crown 6 volt golf cart batteries $720
=================
Total $ $2100

Go a few days without sun and you are still out of power. You'll want a laptop to switch to for bad weather. If you get to Flagstaff AZ you can buy all of it at those prices right now.
Bob
Bob

I don't think many desktops actually use that much power with normal usage. A gaming laptop running 3d games all day will use a lot, but a small desktop with LCD monitor won't use a ton. Here's some examples I found in a quick search:
https://secure.www.upenn.edu/computing/resources/category/hardware/article/computer-power-usage

Numbers varied widely from 35 to 150 for moderate usage. I suggest you see if there are any real world tests for the model you actually have.

Laptops generally use less power but the numbers can vary quite a bit for those too. My 15" Sony laptop runs just fine all day on a single 235 watt panel if there is enough sun. Once in a while in winter, on cloudy days, or if I've been playing too much minecraft I need to run my generator to top up the batteries. Minecraft really sucks up the juice for some reason.

The DC adapter on my netbook says 1.2 amps continuous and you should be able to piggyback a verizon jetpack (direct connection) and charge a cell phone at the same time.

Bob's right on. I might budget $250 for miscellaneous items because you might need a combiner box, fuses, fuse holders and switches (depending on your level of comfort and expertise).

I think it's doable, but it depends on how much power your desktop computer draws. Get a Kill-A-Watt to find out exactly how much power you're using, and then you'll be able to size your system accordingly.

First, get the George Foreman grill off the table, you just saved 750$ in solar panels huge inverter and battery bank and other means of recharging that would be necessary to run that grill long enough to cook something Via battery power.

Hard to have too much solar especially in cloudy weather. Very easy to get too little thinking it was enough.

A kill a watt meter , plugged inline with your current desktop's power strip will tell you how much electricity is consumes during such and such a task.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internatio...id=1400478566&sr=8-2&keywords=kill+watt+meter

Then a bit of math, adding 15% for inverter efficiency, will dictate if it is possible to fit enough solar on a van roof to meet your needs.

Better off getting a Laptop powerful enough for what you are doing. Much easier to store in a van too, compared to a desktop, which might not handle vehicle vibrations very well.

If you aren't a heavy gamer, is there any reason to not use a laptop? You can always use a separate keyboard & mouse and if you just have to have a bigger screen you could probably find a decent 12v LED TV that could double as a monitor.

David said:
If you aren't a heavy gamer, is there any reason to not use a laptop? You can always use a separate keyboard & mouse and if you just have to have a bigger screen you could probably find a decent 12v LED TV that could double as a monitor.

There are laptops that can play any game out there right now. They have a lot of heat, but still less power than what a desktop could use.

My 5 year old ASUS G73 can still play 90% of games out there, and I got it refurbished and it's been a champ about it every since.

kyonu said:
There are laptops that can play any game out there right now. They have a lot of heat, but still less power than what a desktop could use.

My 5 year old ASUS G73 can still play 90% of games out there, and I got it refurbished and it's been a champ about it every since.

Yea I have a Asus K55N that I'm using now. I haven't tried any modern games but I play total war from time to time and it does alright.

You're getting the cart way before the horse by worrying about such things as solar panels before you even have a reliable and comfortable living situation accomplished.

Once that is accomplished, and you have figured out how big of a battery bank you need, try the charging while driving route first. If that doesn't work out, build a 12v generator. Then if you want to try solar, at least you've exhausted the cheaper options first.

Handy Bobs Solar is probably the most honest and informative solar site on the net. Read every page, he is one of the very very few who has successfully mastered solar power for off grid applications. Handy Bob is the only guy I'd trust for solar power advice at this point in time.

:) What they all said.

OK so this is just me talking to myself...but maybe it will plant a seed. A bit of pshyc behind why i happily downsized to an iPad from a full blown Quad Core 3 monitor desktop.

I once was a 3D graphic artist/hobbyist. It was practically my _life_ outside of the 9 to 5. I used software that needed BIG Hardware (e-on VUE software. Same used by Hollywood to create worlds for the movie Avatar). Now this _hobby_ meant loads to me. It was good for the soul...BUT

...Knowing that i'd be downsizing from a home to a rolling home i made the decision to set it aside and take a several month breather before the move. This away time allowed me to rethink my needs. After that period of abstinence i actually realized i could do without, and replace the 3D art for other creative art forms (including music production).

~Two+ years later, though i miss creating in 3D, the ability to still be creative, this time on an iPad, is easily sustainable in both our van conversion and 15ft travel trailer.

I realize this is just one tech-guy's solution...but somewhere out there i'm thinking there's a laptop or similar that will do the job that _needs_ to be done.

Cheers,
Thom

if you really want a desktop for whatever reason look into the 12v power supplies people are using for carPCs. they aren't going to support big GPUs but are much more efficient.
they make laptops with dual gtx780m GPUs and i7 extreme CPUs, which will run any game on the highest settings and will render files faster than is needed. really the only reason to choose a desktop that doesn't have absurd hardware over a laptop is cost and when you start talking solar that advantage pretty much goes out the window.
my desktop is for use on grid power only. i will be buying a small laptop to replace my now broken asus t4500 unit which drew a max of 60w from 12v sources

i am subbed to a guy on youtube, he hasn't been active in a while but he runs his gaming PC off of solar and batteries. his name is flipsinavan

Google "Andy Baird" to see what kind of solar he has to power his desk top. Also, he's just great reading and a very handy guy. He lives in a Lazy Daze motorhome and has a website.

Jamo

accrete said:
:) What they all said.

OK so this is just me talking to myself...but maybe it will plant a seed. A bit of pshyc behind why i happily downsized to an iPad from a full blown Quad Core 3 monitor desktop.

I once was a 3D graphic artist/hobbyist. It was practically my _life_ outside of the 9 to 5. I used software that needed BIG Hardware (e-on VUE software. Same used by Hollywood to create worlds for the movie Avatar). Now this _hobby_ meant loads to me. It was good for the soul...BUT

...Knowing that i'd be downsizing from a home to a rolling home i made the decision to set it aside and take a several month breather before the move. This away time allowed me to rethink my needs. After that period of abstinence i actually realized i could do without, and replace the 3D art for other creative art forms (including music production).

~Two+ years later, though i miss creating in 3D, the ability to still be creative, this time on an iPad, is easily sustainable in both our van conversion and 15ft travel trailer.

I realize this is just one tech-guy's solution...but somewhere out there i'm thinking there's a laptop or similar that will do the job that _needs_ to be done.

Cheers,
Thom

Use Blender 3D on a laptop. That will keep your 3d artist hobby alive.

Jamo said:
Google "Andy Baird" to see what kind of solar he has to power his desk top. Also, he's just great reading and a very handy guy. He lives in a Lazy Daze motorhome and has a website.

Jamo

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/skylarking/index.htm

500 watts

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am seriously thinking of doing this now... I think I'll want around 750 watts... but not sure if that could fit on a van. Possible that I could downgrade some things or make the computer more efficient. I am also interested if its possible to wire the system to top up the batteries while the van is running and/or driving.

What is the maximum amount of solar you think could fit on a late model E250? I'm not afraid to spend money on this since the point is to sacrifice now to get ahead in the long run.

Before I decide to move in to the van I plan to get everything set up properly including the solar.

Also just want to make sure I understand how solar works... 750 watts would provide 750 watts an hour and any excess would be stored in the battery bank... so assuming 8 hrs of sunlight that would be 6 kWh... Correct?

Off Grid 24/7 said:

Handy Bobs Solar is probably the most honest and informative solar site on the net. Read every page, he is one of the very very few who has successfully mastered solar power for off grid applications. Handy Bob is the only guy I'd trust for solar power advice at this point in time.

WOW! Thanks for the info on Handy Bob's !!! I'm reading it now and learning LOTS

Nine Golden Rules:
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/handybobs-golden-rules-for-living-on-solar-and-battery-power/

Excellent thread on how the solar industry significantly short-changes it's customers,, while over-charging them (no pun intended) :
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/

I'm certain you can get 2, 315 watt Kycoera panels on it, I've seen it done. You probably can get 3, 250 watt panels on it but you will want to be sure and measure it out first.
Bob

gburke1 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am seriously thinking of doing this now... I think I'll want around 750 watts... but not sure if that could fit on a van. Possible that I could downgrade some things or make the computer more efficient. I am also interested if its possible to wire the system to top up the batteries while the van is running and/or driving.

What is the maximum amount of solar you think could fit on a late model E250? I'm not afraid to spend money on this since the point is to sacrifice now to get ahead in the long run.

Before I decide to move in to the van I plan to get everything set up properly including the solar.

Also just want to make sure I understand how solar works... 750 watts would provide 750 watts an hour and any excess would be stored in the battery bank... so assuming 8 hrs of sunlight that would be 6 kWh... Correct?

The first step is to go to the site linked on this page and read everything that Handy bob has written. Every word. Can't stress this enough.

As for panels fitting...you can definitely get two up there on the roof. The larger panels will need to go crosswise. It's possible you can get three large panels up there, with a 12 foot rack to mount to, but this will leave very little room for vents for example...and ventilation is probably the single most important thing on your van. The panels will also be longer than your van roof is wide. So, some sort of rack or mounting structure that will extend beyond the width of the roof will be necessary, if you use the large panels.

Thank you. I am going to try and find out how much my energy needs would be. I'm in the Kansas City area & the map I saw is showing 4.5 hours of peak sunlight. How much less should one expect to generate during non peak sunlight assuming clear skies?

I'm going to read the links now.