Solar Panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Corrine hope all is well, I just read the ton of information in this tread and now an curious it's been a couple months how is it going? Is it everything you dreamed? I'm about six months behind you and on a very similar track curious if there is anything you would have done differently or if you missed anything in your planning or preparation? &nbsp;Is the solar you chose enough?&nbsp;<div>Thanks J</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">I am waiting for my solar charge controller to get here, and I should be installing my 100w Grape Solar solar panel monday or tuesday.... I am excited!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Installed my solar panel today! We shall see how it works tomorrow! On my way to Bonnaroo this weekend. Many pictures and posts when I return.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

At the RTR i will be discussing solar panels and installation in a very understandable and simple terms all will be able to relate to... It is past time we nip this issue in the bud and get everyone on the same page, because some have made this simple process into a huge PIA...<br>

Did you make a video of that presentation?<br /><br /><br />
SoulRaven said:
At the RTR i will be discussing solar panels and installation in a very understandable and simple terms all will be able to relate to... It is past time we nip this issue in the bud and get everyone on the same page, because some have made this simple process into a huge PIA...<br />

Do to the experience levels and the smaller gathering we forwent the official seminars and had intimate discussions in a small group setting on several topics... Alas there was no video of the discussions, sorry... it was more of a meeting of very close friends, new and old on personal levels which really fit this summer RTR very well...

Can anyone suggest a simple step-by-step video that shows a newb exactly how to install a solar panel to charge at least two batteries? I'm talking about a video for idiots that shows all the stuff like installing the controller, batteries in series, etc. I saw one good video on Youtube but it doesn't show how to do that with more than one battery.<br /><br />Thanks

Are their any types or brands of solar pannels to stay away from or to use?

There are 3 types of solar panels made today... The best is the Mono-crystalline... then the Poly-crystalline... and the worst are the amorphous type like used in the Harbor freight set-ups...<br /><br />Two types of controllers PNW and MPPT, MPPT is definitely the best controller...<br /><br />For easy solar understanding http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5064780/866687136/name/van+dwellers+guide+to+solar.pdfEnjoy Or http://cheapgreenrvliving.com/Solar_Installation.html<br /><br />Setting up batteries for solar http://www.solarrvpanels.com/index.php/wiring-rv-batteries-properly/<br /><br />Please bookmark and reread the info at your leisure...