Solar panel, roof racks, and queue noise...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galladanb

Reaction score
Back in my avaiation days, when ever an air frame had excess noise like from a seal sticking out in the slip stream or a piece of sheet metal, fairing, etc...
The pilot would report excess queue noise. We would correct the condition and the queue sqwak would go away.

I am noticing a lot of queue noise when in excess of 65 mph, and it increases and decreases with the speed... I'm pretty certain it is coming from the installed items on the roof are causing it. Roof rack, solar panels, and awning...

My questions would be have any of you experienced this?
Any suggestions? (Removal is not an option!!!)

I saw a u tube where this guy wrapped his structures with a large rope like material to break up the airflow... But, it looked worse than it already does, sorry....

Your ideas would be welcome, thx!!!
Such Fun!!!

Those look like a good idea...

I'm thinking of a DIY project now...
I have tie straps and a huge yard sign that are not otherwise dedicated, lol!

I have no noise at all from my set up.  

inset the panels in the rack, and end of problem.

Attachments

• van solar 3.jpg
    van solar 3.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 22
I have a air dam in front of my big panel on the top of my Expedition. They told me to keep it below 80 and I do try so hard. ;)

I think queue noise is the ambiant noise that comes over comms. Think of hearing the road noise in the background when someone driving calls you.

Aero understanding and improvements are desperately needed in our community. Needlessly wasted fuel, annoying noise, and extra strain on our rigs can all be quelled.

I mentioned in the first post, the pilots would sqwak or complain about an increased noise levels heard during aircraft operation.

It sounds like driving at highway speeds with a window open. It goes away when you roll up the window.

The sound appears when there is a distruburance in the airflow over the van.
Such as from the rack, panels, or awning etc...

I did just that Gideon and spent many hours yesterday. The problem is coming up with a solution that doesn't affect everyday van living, or even just a daily driver. I want to design a roof rack that will hold solar panels AND aerodynamic, without looking completely out of place, cost too much, or stick out the back way too far. Maybe there's a market for it, I just don't have the energy right now. My youngest is 6 years old, so I have at least 12 more years to come up with a van plan :D