Solar, lighting and more.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can lift my framed panel, it needs some slack on the wires and cannot be attached. i wrapped the wire with foam rubber and hold it in place with a Zip tie.

My Unisolar adhered panel, I used 3m5200 to hold wires to the roof.

Apply some adhesive sealant/caulk to a long enough tool to slide under the panel and attach wires to roof so they cannot vibrate and chafe.

HDR: Thanks for confirming :). That's sort of where my mind was going; Potential problems being rust and the shorting.

Sternwake: Good idea! I might actually be just be able to get in with the caulking gun alone. I still have a bunch of Sika 715 so hopefully it's still usable. The MC4's are sealed anyway so a bunch of sealant on them isn't exactly going to hurt.

Gah, one more thing SternWake! I got to the point of exposing the alternator today. It's in there pretty good so I need to find a pry bar to get it out, unless I can get the stud bolt off without doing so. In the meantime, you said to ground (run the negative cable) to the mounting bolts. The primary mounting bolts are large so would any bolt / a secondary mounting bolt in the near vicinity be sufficient?

Sure. See where the engine battery ground cable attaches to engine. Any engine bolt should be a good ground.

See if you can get to alternator from underneath too, or through the wheel well, or with engine cover off.

SternWake said:
Sure.  See where the engine battery ground cable attaches to engine.  Any engine bolt should be a good ground.

See if you can get to alternator from underneath too, or through the wheel well, or with engine cover off.

Cool, I have something in mind. There's a mounting bolt right next to the alternator I can use. Also, the solenoid can share the starter battery chassis ground, yes?

I couldn't find any fuse in the engine bay fuse box that wasn't receiving power when the ignition was switched to "on" (not start). I found a 10A which had nothing in the accessory position so that's the best I could do.

The ground for the solenoid trigger circuit can be taken from any grounded metal.

The solenoid need not be in engine bay. It can be next to house battery fuse if that is convenient.

SternWake said:
The ground for the solenoid trigger circuit can be taken from  any grounded metal.

The solenoid need not be in engine bay.  It can be next to house battery fuse if that is convenient.

ok, I suppose then if both battery and solenoid trigger grounds use the same bolt it's no matter. I think I'm happy to keep the solenoid in the engine bay. Already got a few things on the battery box and I don't want to run the trigger wire all the way back (although that sort of defeats logic since I'm running the 4 gauge cables). Plus, I heard that the solenoids can be a bit noisy.

Ok, the isolator is all rigged up! I'm getting 14.8-14.9v when the engine is running. Trojan's guideline is 14.82v so hopefully this is within spec. There is obviously a battery interconnect before the engine starts but I don't know how detrimental this is for the seconds that the key will be in that position, plus every now and then when I want to run the windows up and down etc.

The 14.8/.9v likely only lasts for a short while after engine starting. Once warmed up it likely drops to under 14, as a continuous 14.9v always, would overcharge the original engine battery.

Most people's solenoids come on with the key to on, and off during actual engine cranking, then back on after starting. This is not any significant issue for the batteries, but the solenoid develops 2x as many connection disconnection cycles and will wear out faster. Also the solenoid allowing house battery to contribute current to starter motor will wear out contacts faster.

Ideally the solenoid would only be triggered after the engine started, but it is not always easy to find a circuit which becomes live only after engine starting to use to trigger the solenoid. Enter the illuminated manual switch on the trigger circuit so the driver has more control over when the batteries are paralleled.

Usually when Solenoids fail, the contacts fuse together leading to no battery isolation with engine off. This is not so obvious to the driver who does not have a individual voltmeter on each battery. With a failed solenoid whose contacts have fused together, both batteries voltage will always read the same or very close, even when the house battery with a properly functioning solenoid is well depleted and should read lower when measured at battery terminals.

A failed solenoid usually means the engine battery gets inadvertently cycled with house loads and the problem only becomes obvious once the starter battery AND the house battery together, fail to start the vehicle, and this is usually at the end of the life of both batteries. This can take quite a while after the initial solenoid failure, and usually both engine and house batteries, in addition to solenoid, need to be replaced.

As the starter and house batteries will have different resistance and resting voltages, one battery will always feed the other when no charging sources are present, leading to the premature demise of both.

The solenoid might make the same exact noises when the contacts fuse together, or similar enough thae one's ears might not detect a difference in operation, so the wise user occassionally ensures there is actually isolation with engine off. House loads should not affect engine battery voltage with engine off. A properly isolated Engine battery voltage should always be 12.6v or higher, while it is expected that a 50% depleted house battery would be around 12.2v, so a voltmeter on both batteries regularly observed should easily indicate solenoid failure and prevent solenoid failure from taking out engine starting battery from unnecessary cycling of it.

Solenoid failure is not something to freak out about, just something to be aware of, and it is why i recommend people spend the bucks for the higher amp rated solenoiids with the silver tungsten contacts as the initial higher expense will likely be cheaper in the long run, compared to a 15$ 90 amp continuous duty budget solenoid whose contacts fuse together and eventually takes out both batteries and likely requires a jumpstart at some point before replacing both sets of batteries, and the solenoid.

Great! I'm going to get a house battery voltmeter setup at some point but I'll just keep in mind to check the solenoid along with routine maintenance. The one I have is rated to 200A.

Since I installed the solenoid there's a chance I made some mistakes resulting in a slightly drained starter battery. Still diagnosing and hoping it's a one-off rather than an ongoing drain issue. In the meantime, during my testing I was trying to start the van with no success, then when I went over to the battery it was bubbling on one cell. I popped the caps off it for the first time today and found that cell to be full to the absolute brim. Either it has taken on rainwater somehow or someone comprehensively overfilled it. So what now?

As for the other issues, I might have to come back for some advice if the solenoid is somehow causing problems. The short version is that the starter was resting at 11.9v but I have since been able to get an unaided start out of it without moving the vehicle or a charger. Nifty business.

just one cell bubbling and overfilled on engine battery?

Just one cell bubbling can be a soft short.

Overfilled, well it the battery was filled when discharged, when recharged fully the electrolyte volume expands, but not enough to fill it to the brim. If rainwater, well that cell could now be contaminated with whatever ran off your roof. My engine compartment battery used to get wet on top during rain but never got any inside.

A battery with a shorted cell reads about 10.5v, but I've had one battery that had a cell which would drop out under any significant load(10.3v), but remove the 2 amp load and voltage would rebound to 12.6+.

Make sure there is not 12v at your solenoid trigger circuit from fuse block with engine off. Also in Acc or even key in ignition.

How old is the engine battery?

Did all the continuity tests I could think of already. The solenoid is definitely disconnecting with engine off. It was just one of the two cells bubbling and filled up to the brim.

I mentioned before I wasn't able to find any fuse that was live only once the engine is running. I went for the next best thing which is that the solenoid will be triggered in accessory position and anything after that. That includes cranking which has been somewhat useful since I can at least start with the aid of house batteries.

I'd seen rainwater on top of the battery before and down in the gaps around the cap but the cap has always been on tight. I can't say either way what it could be. Very odd regardless. I will see if I can find out the battery age. I don't think it looks like it's from 2001 at least!

When I checked it this morning it was resting at 12.0v. A friend is going to swing by with a charger at some point so I'll at least charge it and see from there.

So of the six cells, 2 are overfilled and one was bubbling.

Was it bubbling with engine off?

If so and it is NOT being charged by the solar and up at 14.2v or higher, then the battery is likely a goner.

Not sure I would realy attempt to charge it.

If house batteries and Engine battery are starting the engine, and you once required a jumpstart, then you are drawing the house batteries way too low.

3 very depleted batteries in parallel can still easily start a gasoline engine as long as it is not Zero F degrees.

the engine battery reading 12.0 indicates it is very discharged. A hydrometer would reveal a lot more.

I made a rain deflector under my hood so rain could not puddle on battery or run down firewall. I no longer have a battery there, but perhaps someday.

SternWake said:
So of the six cells, 2 are overfilled and one was bubbling.

Was it bubbling with engine off?

If so and it is NOT being charged by the solar and up at 14.2v or higher, then the battery is likely a goner.

Not sure I would realy attempt to charge it.

If house batteries and Engine battery are starting the engine, and you once required a jumpstart, then you are drawing the house batteries way too low.

3 very depleted batteries in parallel can still easily start a gasoline engine as long as it is not Zero F degrees.

the engine battery reading 12.0 indicates it is very discharged.  A hydrometer would reveal a lot more.

I made a rain deflector under my hood so rain could not puddle on battery or run down firewall. I no longer have a battery there, but perhaps someday.

Gah, sorry, I didn't explain properly due to lack of understanding.

Each cap reveals three cells. After trying to start and getting just the rapid starter ticking, one of the caps was bubbling around it. When I removed the caps, three cells looked to be normal level and three were totally filled. With the engine off and resting however it was not bubbling. The solar isn't doing anything to charge the starter battery.

Can you explain how I would be drawing the house batteries too low? I haven't required a jumpstart, I've only used the house batteries to assist a start. I know that's probably not a smart thing to do but it's what it does by default as long as I don't disconnect the breaker on the house batteries going to the isolator. I feel like there's something I'm not getting here. I can get the hydrometer out (haven't used it yet, was waiting until I understood more and also wasn't sure how to clean it without getting acid where it oughtn't be). If it is very discharged however, surely putting it on the charger should be the first port of call. Maybe the problem is as simple as that and there's nothing terminally wrong with my system. The fact that the batteries are not isolated during cranking does make me weary though.

if your start battery is at 12v something is wrong. I wouldn't put the blame on the batteries being connected when starting, that's how all the older systems were done. most older vehicles do not have a dedicated circuit that is only hot when running. I find it hard to believe rain water could fill the cells. the design of the caps would prevent this. I have pressured washed hundreds of engines and of course the batteries. if washing a battery with a high pressure washer doesn't get water inside then rain will not get in. how old is the starter battery? highdesertranger

VANADA, is the electrolyte hot? if it is you got cells going/are bad,,,,believe me. if I'm not mistaken, if you have three batts. that have to work in concert at times, have to be relatively equal in strength, and if you have one with a cell going/is bad you need to get it out of the circuit i would think? isn't it that a bad batt. draws the other batts. down to its level? is that what it is?

Just lost a reply.

Short version:

i think your engine battery is done for and is coincidental to haveng recently installed the house battery alternator cvharging system, and not because of it.

I misunderstood and thought that your threee batteries together were not able to start engine.

The only issues with house battery assisting engine battery in starting is it wears out solenoid faster( you have silver tungsten contacts rated for 200 amps, much less concerning than 15$ cheapo solenoid)  and delicate electronics hooked to house battery might not appreciate surge when starter motor is disengaged.  This can be cumulatively damaging, or not a factor at all.

The hydrometer reveals all.  I bet your overfilled cells all read very low an the bubbling cell might not even float the float.  If it is hot, I'd drive to nearest place which sells marine batteries, and be very careful with possible sparks when removing it.

Thanks guys! Schedule for tonight when I get back from work: Find battery age. Check cells with hydrometer. I'm just anxious that I did something wrong or if I end up replacing the battery that something is amiss and will kill that battery. Also don't want to do anything wrong that might damage the house batteries... I'm a worrier ;)

Also I may post pictures to give a better sense of what I'm going on about if it interests y'all.