Solar Generator anyone use these on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>Only way to really know is to put an ammeter in between and record V & A over a 6-7 hour charge cycle.

I'm not really interested in embarking on a UL labs testing program for it. Long as it powers all my stuff and I can recharge how I want and when I want I'm happy. So far the product has met all my needs very nicely. If anyone is looking for a "Solar Generator" I'd highly recommend the Kodiak.

>Do they provide a link to replace the internal battery at a reasonable price it's worn out?

Not that I've seen. I'm sure by that time I'll either be on to their next iteration product or maybe even a completely different system, who knows. I know I know, I like to live life on the edge.

Yes, not addressing you and your needs specifically.

If it only lasts 2-3 years, or ruins an expensive AGM bank through PSOC abuse,

the value proposition changes a lot.

Maybe other owners will step up and help add to our knowledgebase wrt these some time in the future, these threads get revisited by hundreds over the years.

Thank you for a reply, some of the responses are going too in depth for me. Was not what I was looking for.

I have looked at the Suoaki 444. Guess I will ponder till its closer to hitting the road.

I know they are in a pretty package but in my small space its what I would prefer. Then having battery banks under bed with other equipment and since I have an older rv tin roof don;t want to mount anything to sides or roof.

L

Bank for energy storage is just one element.

Knowing how many AH per day you will consume is important.

And how you will put 120% of that back into your bank each day.

If you can't do solar, what will you do?

dklassen said:
Love my Inergy Kodiak. Of course it can be used while charging (wall, solar or DC from the vehicle). Charges quick, can take up to 600w. Has an internal 90Ah Lithium and you can daisy chain on AGM's. Plenty of ports, 120v and DC. I have a 100Ah AGM hanging on it. Totally portable @ 20lbs. Built like a tank.

Expensive? Yes. Solar Generator? Who cares.

X2. Love my Kodiak!

Her's one site's take on solar generators.
http://theprepperproject.com/portable-solar-generator/
"Six Dirty Little Secrets About Portable Solar Generators"

There is no way around needing large enough batteries and a large enough solar charge controller and large enough solar panels to power whatever you want/need to power using solar energy available at your location.

1. Need large enough batteries to power your needs.
2. Need enough solar capacity to fully charge those batteries, and power daytime needs, when the sun is shining.
3. Centered on a controller that is big enough to handle the job.

The people who like them seem to be the people who want a simple turnkey "solution". I.e., people who don't know much about electricity and don't really want to, but just want to be able to write a check and have electricity hey presto.

They work if all you need to do is charge a phone or maybe a laptop. That of course is all most weekend warriors want, anyway.

For longterm dwellers, though, they're overpriced and underpowered.

A Smartcar is fantastic at what it's designed for, but I wouldn't try to pull a trailer with it.

The deceptive hype and lack of transparency about their capabilities is the worst thing about them.

Generalization about the industry as a whole, some companies are better than others.

My wife and I charge phones, laptop, run the Maxxfan Deluxe (quite a bit), desktop fan, Dometic CFX50W 24/7, and my 19" TV/DVD for an evening movie. Guess we're weekend warriors (3 or 4 days out) but I don't see why my Kodiak won't work if I was full timing it. I've seen quite a few folks running "Solar Generators" of various sizes in full time vans.

Technically I'd have no problem installing a component system, I just choose modular and portable which suited my needs. I have 190Ah at my disposal and can input up to 600w of solar if I need or want to. For now my 100w suitcase works fine or I can run my little gas generator and put in 189w from the wall quick charger. If we're driving around a lot I can pipe in through the alt too.

In all the solar generators I looked at I never felt like I was being deceived. I just choose the one that worked best for my needs.