solar energy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichFern

Reaction score
Ok so I have seen a couple of nice vans for about 3k.One is a Dodge Ram 2500 318 V8,the other is a G-20 Chevy 5.7 liter V8.Both are conversion HIGHTOPS and both have about 120k.The chevy has nice leather and both of them are in overall very good condition.<BR>My concern is the roof.Would I be able to place solar panels on these without problems?I'm planning on using the solar panels to charge batteries that I will in turn power a home made air conditioner.I will need the a/c while I'm asleep at night.<BR>I also have a air purifier that I purchased for my home,I was wondering if it could be used in the van.The numbers are as follows-120v,1.2 max amp,60hz,147 max watts.<BR>The home made a/c will consist of a cooler,fan,frozen water bottles,pvc pipe&nbsp;&nbsp;for ducting and of course the power source.<BR>I'm gathering all this information online and don't know much about all this but it is exciting to learn that you could power stuff for just the initial price of materials.<BR>I think I'm gonna need a converter for the air purifier?<BR>Thanks!<BR>

Hey Rich<br><br>This is a link to a solar info site written by a former engineer who fulltimes with his wife now.&nbsp; A ton of good info there. <A href="http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/solar-power-that-works/" target=_blank>http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/solar-power-that-works/</A><br><br>As far as mounting the solar panel to the hightop goes, I've been wondering the same thing.&nbsp; At Handy Bobs page (above link), he talks about the panel needing to be tilted up at 50 degrees to help make maximum power.&nbsp; I've seen portable solar panels that are on what looks like a 2 wheel dolly that you can roll out into the sun while keeping the van parked in the shade.&nbsp; Since you mentioned needing ac, this might help keep the van cooler to start with.&nbsp; Not sure how you would want to transport the panel when traveling though...<br><br><br>

I have been waiting for Bob to chime in on this but he may be out of touch for a few days....<br>He is the one who I think led the install of the flexible panels on a couple of RVs at the RTR.<br>The folks that he helped all bought flexible panels that they just put on the roof when parked and the power was needed and I believe they set it up with velcro. When they traveled they take them down. roll up and store....<br>That may be an option for you with curved van tops........<br>Bri<br><br>

Another option would be to just mount the panels on stilts. I've seen panels mounted above air conditioners this way as long as you don't mind adding a few inches to the height of your rig.<br><br>

For maximum solar power, you'll need to have the panels tilted to the sun at about a 90-degree angle flat on from sun up to sun down. Anything less than an automatic tracker that will do that isn't worth the cost versus energy input. You can lose more input by having a tree limb shade part of a panel as the cells are wired in series. And having the panels at ground level or anywhere that isn't bolted down invites theft.<br><br>I have two Carminah monolithic cell 95 watt panels on the roof, mounted flat. This gives me a theoretical 190 watts of input to the battery. It turns out to be approximatly 50 percent of that, of course. But that is sufficient for my use of powering the Engel refrigerator 24/7 and occasional microwave cooking for 90-seconds to a minute or three. For any kind of long time use of a fan motor or such, you're going to need more than the thin film panels unless you plan on plastering the whole top with them, I think. See my rig at Stealth Solar on the panels at left.&nbsp;<br>

Hi RichFern, welcome to the group!! Sorry to be late writing back, I was away from the internet for while. here are some thoughts for a solar install.<br><br>1) I assume the hightops are fiberglass and that is the problem? Are they curved or you just don't know how to install in fiberglass? I'm afraid that I've never worked with fiberglass in any way, and can't tell you anything about that. I know you can buy 68 watt flexible solar panels made by Unisolar on Amazon.com for about $230. They will conform to the curve of the roof and they have glue on them so all you do is peel the back off and stick them on. Or you can use quick connects to put them out every day&nbsp; and then roll them up and put them away every night. The panels are 11 inches wide and 9 feet long so you can get several on the roof. My guess is that you can just attach the panels to a fiberglass roof just like you would a metal roof. Panels aren't very heavy, 25-35 lbs. But, you need to talk to someone who works with fiberglass to know for sure.<br><br>2) Where will you live? Is stealth important? If stealth is critical then you couldn't leave the panels out, the flexible panels attached to the roof may be the best thing. The roof is probably high enough that you won't loose any stealth on the roof. You may want to consider using ladder racks, putting a piece of plywood&nbsp; that covers the whole roof on them and attaching the panels to the plywood. This has the huge advantage that your roof is always in the shade. On a cargo van it actually increases stealth, I'd get a stepladder and put it up there making you look more like a work van. I don't know what it would look like with a hightop. &nbsp; <br><br>3) Tilting panels does help increase their output, but unless you are going to be parked in one spot for a long time, it isn't worth the&nbsp; hassle. Be sure to get a MPPT controller, it is well worth the slight extra cost.<br><br>4) All your 110 items will need to be run off an inverter, not a converter. A converter takes 110 and charges the house battereies and runs 12 volt items also.<br><br>5) The air purifier will draw about 13 amps, how long will you want to run it in a day? If you have a pair of golf cart batteries that will let you draw 100 amps per day maximum, you will just need to figure out what you daily needs are.<br><br>6) Generally it isn't practical to run air conditioning off solar. But if all you are doing is running a fan, then that may be possible. Where are you going to get the ice from? I have a 12 volt compressor freezer that draws 3 amps. You could use it to make ice for the AC and ice to put in an ice chest for food. During the hot summer it would probably draw about 20 amps per day.<br><br>I need more details to get a better idea of what your plans are, but my best guess is you are going to need at least 250 watts of panels and 4 golf cart batteries, assuming the AC is just running a fan. Bob<br><br>

<P>Thanks for the responses!<BR>Bob the air purifier if I do decide to use it will only be run for say about an hour.The air purifier sucks all the air into it and&nbsp;cleans all the impurities in the air and expels clean air.The air purifier is good for me because of allergies,it allows me to sleep allot better,especially during allergy season in the spring and fall.I'll be living in the van near where I work at near NYC,I will mostly part in the burbs around the city.I will park at work sometimes(parking lots in numerous locations around the city).If I don't park at work then for the most part&nbsp;it will be just a short drive to work.<BR>&nbsp;Stealth is really not that important,I work for the government so I have a good idea of law enforcements patterns and thinking.In the city there are so many places&nbsp;I can go without anyone thinking twice about it.<BR>&nbsp;The ice?This is the beautiful part,at work we have several large refrigerators at several locations&nbsp;around the city.In the summer when I get to work in the morning I can place several plastic bottles filled with water in the freezers,when its time to go "home" I can get the frozen bottles.This will allow me to sleep better because it&nbsp;does get real hot here during the summer.<BR>&nbsp;Since I'm just starting out and since summer will soon be here I'm trying to figure what I will need to do in the next two months before it gets to hot.<BR>&nbsp;I will be living in the van full time.I figure the a/c will be the most important thing for now.I will need power for my laptop and cell phone.I can charge my cell at work too.<BR>&nbsp;I like the idea of flexible panels.I grew up in the city so I doubt if anyone will steal my panels from the roof of the van if they even know they are there.Its possible but no probable.The van would either be at a secure parking space at work or when not at work with me in it.<BR>&nbsp;Stealth is not really an issue for me but I don't want to advertise either.My van will look like any other of the many conversion van around.One I get knowledgeable about all this stuff I may want to add more things to the van.<BR>I also have numerous family members and friends that already know my plans and offer their support.I think I will go the way of the golf cart batteries.</P><P><BR>Thanks again,Rich<BR></P>

<P>Eventually the batteries will get to the point the solar panels aren't charging them sufficiently. What's your backup source for charging the batteries...generator?</P>

Well I didn't know I needed a backup plan.From what I read here solar is viable if done right.The panels are&nbsp; expensive as it is.Really all I need is for the solar to power the very small car fan that I will use for the homemade a/c.I'm thinking the home made a/c will be sufficient to cool the interior for the hot nights.<br>Other than that the only other thing was a high output alltinator.<br>Otherwise I'm gonna have to sleep in a hot van during the summer months....lol something I'm not used to.<br>Rich<br>

Even if you create a solar system that makes more power on a daily basis than you use, there are going to be days with insufficient sunlight - some regions less than others. I'm no expert but researched the possibility, and the knowledgable people I spoke with all indicated that a solar system could expand the time between recharging the batteries, but sooner or later they'd need to be plugged in to a stronger power supply for recharging.

I've been wondering how you guys that have solar panels on the roof run the wires inside to the batteries.&nbsp; Do you use some kind of connector or do you just drill a hole through the roof, side, etc.<br>&nbsp;<br>

I ran my wire down the windshield molding on the drivers side and behind the edge of the hood into the engine compartment to where my controller is...no holes....<br>Bri<br><br>