Solar Eclipse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to. I only have to drive 30 miles to be right on the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're on the OR coast, but a couple of miles north of totality...plan to visit family in Central OR and see the whole blasted thing! Ordered semi-cheezy "commemorative" glasses from eBay (super cheap and kind of fun!)

just a hint my sister lives outside of Bend OR. just south of the center line. I just got off the phone with her it's already getting crazy there. the locals are preparing for a huge influx of people, Madras OR is expecting 1 million people for this event. the locals businesses are going to be gouging regular hotel rooms that usual go for less than 100 bucks a night are now 800 bucks a night with 3 day minimums. the Madras airport is selling parking spaces. many highways are going to be one way only and 1 hour drive times have been upped to 8 hours. she said the trinkets are already on the store shelves. just fair warning. highdesertranger

And if there's a massive rain storm, with clouds so thick you can't even see the sun, there's gonna be a mess of pissed off people.  Wonder if it could turn nasty if they start demanding their money back?

AbuelaLoca said:
I am in the path here at home, but I might try to sneak into the conservation area near me to watch and then just stare at the stars afterwards!! I still gotta get one of those special eye pieces!!

I luv the quote from Lewis!  ThanX!

I am fairly certain there will be vendors selling safety glasses, and t-shirts, and souvenirs of all kinds, anywhere there are large crowds of spectators.

But, just in case, I bought a pair of cheap welding goggles on ebay!

tx2sturgis said:
I am fairly certain there will be vendors selling safety glasses, and t-shirts, and souvenirs of all kinds, anywhere there are large crowds of spectators.

But, just in case, I bought a pair of cheap welding goggles on ebay!

Careful! Welding goggles are not sufficient protection unless they are rated at 14 or higher.

I like the projection method because it also allows everyone else around you to watch too.  :)

lenny flank said:
Careful! Welding goggles are not sufficient protection unless they are rated at 14 or higher.

I should have clarified....that I wear eyeglasses and the combination of the goggles (non script) and my dark sunglasses (script) work great together.

I bought glasses for all the clients where I work... then I asked for the night off!! I will keep a pair for myself, of course.

I know gas welding goggles are a big no no, I was always told not to use ANY welding eye shield for looking at the sun. highdesertranger

Going to go to Asheville NC for the eclipse!   I have 3 things I can cross off my bucket list on this trip....  it was funny when I called in May and made reservations at the campgrounds (I'll also be going to 2 seminars at The Cove) he was chuckling that I wanted August, said most people call for "tonight!"  hahaha 

I experienced a partial (no black out) eclipse in South Florida when I was young... "watched" it using 2 pieces of cardboard with pinholes.  I don't need to look at it...just want to be there!

The path ends in the US at the coast in SC but NASA / NOAA ?  says it will only be 3 minutes there.  If you plan on driving to see it, check how long it lasts as it may  not really be worth the effort.

I, too, have heard of the warnings of masses of people; instead of the usual vacationers of a few hundred thousand on the road, they expect several million!  These will include those who are within 2-300 miles of total who drive to "view" it... 

... even if local LEO scare people off from stopping on the side of the roads, that won't stop their need for food and will increase their need for FUEL (if they have to keep driving around until the time)....

...plan accordingly for your regular travel I guess, as there will be more vehicles, more accidents, more of the usual and less food, space, fuel?

I truly hadn't thought about it until I heard an astrology discussing the various aspects of the whole thing and the chaos that ensues during such celestial times and supposedly within 2 weeks of them too??? 

I can store the food and water, and made reservations at a campground months ago... but the fuel thing, yeah...

Last year I made reservations and paid for them. I was planning to take my Mom, so the accommodations are for disabled. As she passed away last month, I have lost interest. I have seen this event twice before, so it isn't that novel to me.

So..I gave the room away to a friend with a disabled grandchild. They will go see this.

I am sad to think my Mom never saw this. I think August 21 is going to be one of those days I should try to skip over quickly,

hepcat said:
AND I probably think that song is about me.

No hepcat, it's about ME!

On the local news (Co. Springs) , the announcer was saying that places like Jackson Hole are already booked solid.

VanKitten said:
I am sad to think my Mom never saw this.  I think August 21 is going to be one of those days I should try to skip over quickly,

For What It's Worth:

If I had never seen one, I don't believe I would have a sense of loss.  Not to get too preachy, but as a parent, I promise you that your relationship with her was WAY MORE important!   ;)

I will probably never get to step foot on the moon, but I have 2 great kids, and every moment with them is precious.   Even when I'm taking it for granted.  

Go do something fun on 8/21, and think of Mom!   

My $0.02

Pat

pnolans said:
On the local news (Co. Springs) , the announcer was saying that places like Jackson Hole are already booked solid.

Here in small town Nebraska we will get the full eclipse. And I doubt we can fill up a small town park, lol.
Probably free camping in many of the town parks.
Roger

I'm planning on finding a spot early, but no idea where yet. The last total solar eclipse in the US was in 1979, and I was lucky enough to see that one.

highdesertranger said:
"...my sister lives outside of Bend OR...it's already getting crazy there.  the locals are preparing for a huge influx of people...many highways are going to be one way only and 1 hour drive times have been upped to 8 hours.  she said the trinkets are already on the store shelves.  just fair warning."

Just back from OR, MT, WY National Parks - confirmed a plethora of eclipse baubles & trinkets on the shelves. NP services are announcing expected record visits on the date of the eclipse. After visiting these sites, I don't plan to be anywhere near them.