Solar charger that doesn't need manual reset?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
I have been researching the folding Bluetti 28 Watt solar charger for small devices.

But one feature of it is alarming. The instructions indicate that when the sun is obscured by a passing cloud, it is necessary to go outside to reset the device by manually removing the plug and reinserting it. Is this an accurate description?

If so, can anyone suggest an alternate solar charger which automatically resets itself after a temporary disruption such as a passing cloud?

First time I've heard of a panel that needs to be reset when charging is interrupted. In my part of the country I'd be doing the unplug/plug 20 times an hour with cloudy skies.

I tried a quick search an didn't find a phone/email for Bluetti but I did find an on line site where you can ask a question.
https://community.bluetti.com/

I'd start there and as always, just my ol 2¢.

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. We could use some confirmation on that. Highdesertranger

I have reviewed 6-8 of those portable, foldable solar panel setups from about 7W up to 150W and none of them have ever needed to be "reset". I've also used solar for almost 8 years and only needed to "reset" a charge controller when the low voltage disconnect kicks in and the BMS in the battery is dormant and won't wake back up. And in that scenario it isn't the charge controller's fault... it is the BMS that requires manual intervention.

Go to Amazon and look at the review section. The Bluetti staff is answering questions in it. On of the questions has to do with charging a cell phone when it is cloudy. What happens with intermittant sun is it causes the panel to shut off the device charging when no sun and then turn it the device back on when there is enough power generated. This off and on cycling can cause the battery in the phone to become drained instead from all of the restarts instead of getting it recharged.

So essentially that panel adjust its output to the device that is being charged. It is not compatible with very low powered devices and the inv structions state it is also not compatible with ipads.

I don't know how recent that comment was but it was made for doing things like charging cell phones so I am sure there were a lot of complaints about dead phones when charging on partly cloudy days. So maybe they made a change in there electronics to stop that from happening. But that is just a guess on my part. You need to talk to them. Hopefully you can return it without any issues as a dissatisfied customer.

I believe you.  That wasn't my point.  My point was that is a terrible product if they did not design around such a problem.

Why are you looking at product designed for a backpacker who only wants to charge a cell phone or hand held gps?

First step is to figure out your electrical needs and then go shopping for a panel and battery. In this forum there are lots of threads on this subject and lots of product recommendations. There are also solar related videos on the cheaprvliving forum. Get some overall background knowledge showing you what will work before you start shopping. That will keep you from purchasing products that will never be reliable and robust in the amount of power they output for full time nomadic life.

Latest posts