Solar Charge Controller End Amps Base Load Considerations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frater secessus said:
The physical/electrical position of the shunt means it only senses current to/from the battery bank.  And that is what endAmps is measuring.  Elegant, no?

Your explanation is concise and clear.  I kinda talked around it at the end.  Yes, it is connected "properly" as the battery negative is connected to one side of the shunt.  Nothing else connected to battery negative or the battery side of the shunt.

So all is well.

You could move the negative terminal of your base loads to the panel side of the shunt (if your charge controller will register negative amps), you will get correct readings.

^^^I have never heard of this before.

Nothing in my documentation or research recommends this or even mentions it. EVERYTHING has to go through the shunt is all I know. This would also throw my battery monitoring system out of kilter.

Yes that was very unclear.

Your more general statements are true wrt a **battery monitor** shunt, no circuits for loads nor sources should bypass the shunt at the bank.