Solar battery charger for phone

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cell phone is my lifeline. Admit I'm addicted to staring at a screen, which will hopefully change when I start living full time. Been researching some, and must admit it's mind boggling.  I'm getting ready to start out in a few weeks, and it's pretty overwhelming trying to figure out what items are best/needed, especially when you don't have lots of $$ to work with. Have a galaxy s5, as it's the last galaxy that you can swap out batteries, which I love and not giving that up. I have 2 batteries, and about to order a couple more. I realize sometime you'll have to spend a little more to get something that's worth getting. Any suggestions?  Also, how far can you keep a phone battery charged to while not in use? I think I  have also see some chargers where you can charge the battery (ies) without being in the phone.

Depending on the cost of the batteries for your device, you might want to look at a portable power bank. I just picked up a 10000mah one for maybe $15 off Amazon. They can get way more expensive than that, but the cheaper ones seem to work fine. Not sure you could actually get the rated amp hours(AHs), but I imagine it's close enough.

EDIT: I missed the solar phone charging part. Here's a link to show you what some might be talking about. It has a built in battery bank.
https://www.amazon.com/24000mAh-Wat...phone+charger&qid=1551641364&s=gateway&sr=8-5

for just a phone get a 12v car charger. save your money for a real solar system. I however do agree with Wabbit, get one of those universal battery packs. I have one and it can charge anything that charges off USB and I can also recharge it off a car. highdesertranger

After looking around some more, it seems that the advice of a battery pack would be better than the solar for my kind of use. Wabbit, could you tell me which one you bought. I saw one for like 30 bucks that got pretty high ratings (like to read customer comments too) by Anker.

highdesertdweller said:
 . . . Any suggestions?  Also, how far can you keep a phone battery charged to while not in use? I think I have also see some chargers where you can charge the battery (ies) without being in the phone.

Here is my 2¢:

Only you know how long you can go on a battery charge, so which of these works best depends on your usage patterns.

If you drive every few days charging off the car cigar plug or USB port is probably the easiest/cheapest.  If your car battery is in good shape and you are not connecting other things to it you can charge a phone battery a few times without problems.  You will need a small inverter and a 110V charger, or a 12V charger for your batteries with the cigar plug.

There are small solar panels made to charge small electronics and they work well.  Amazon, REI and other have them.  I've used one backpacking to charge an inReach, iPhone, camera, GPS.  They run around $40 for a 2.4 amp one.

Battery packs or jumper packs can charge small electronics, but sooner or later you will need to recharge it; charging off your cars cigar plug when driving or stoping somewhere where you have 110V.  You have to do the math on how many charges you get out of your pack.

There are small phone charging battery packs that will give you 1 or 2 charges.  Everyone sells them; I've even seen them in grocery stores.  IMO not worth the cost and bother.  You can even get ones that use throw-away AA batteries.

highdesertdweller said:
Cell phone is my lifeline. Admit I'm addicted to staring at a screen, which will hopefully change when I start living full time.

Good luck with that!  We as people generally bring our baggage with us, changing locations is changing locations. Maybe being at a spot without a connection will do what you want?

I've sat around more than one campfire where 6 out of 8 people where staring at their screens so you are not alone!!  :)

I have solar on the rig & plug the phone in (12v) when it needs it or I'm not using it.  I'm really impressed with the new phone charging technology, my S8 ( I did the beet harvest to afford it) does great by just setting it down on a charger pad.