So what would you do with a fire left burning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
At 2 AM a woman from my camp knocks on the door to tell me that there is a fire burning not far from us. Sure enough the camp to the east of us built a pretty good sized fire and then went to bed. It is big and hot enough to spit embers and it is on the edge of a dry grassy area. Should it start a wild fire the idiots in the tent that left it burning will be the first to go. We are safer being on a open gravel area but not that far from the tree line to be guaranteed safety.

In the past I have found and put out fires left by idiots but this is a active campsite.

Make as much noise as you can while you dig around their tents, getting shovel fulls of dirt to throw on the fire. If they wake up, let them know how much they are threatening a forest fire with the flying embers....take video of the fire, and their reactions.

I have a bull horn and a cell phone. I'm not gonna go into anyone's camp alone with them sleeping. Wake their butts up and when they come out drop the horn and lend assistance.

No sense gitt'in shot and burning down the damn forrest too.

Got a hundred gallons or more of water that would put that fire out along with flood the tent through the floor. That will get their attention to not do it again.

One thing I wouldn't do is go into someone's camp,who is possibly drunk and possibly has firearms and start putting out their campfire.Maybe call the cops?

If you have cell service, call the forest ranger. It's his job to risk getting shot by the idiots in the woods.

The last thing I'd do is go into another person's camp after dark. Though, if no cell service is available, starting your vehicle and aiming your high beams directly on the tent (from a distance) might just get them roused up a bit to get out and see what's going on. Plus you have the drop on them if they do get out with a weapon.

Chip

I put them dead out and if possible explain to people that in dry climates wildfires are extremely serious and devastating. People from out east may not be as conscious about it.

I agree it can be a dangerous venture to invade someone else's camp and take any sort of uninvited action.

However,...an unattended fire as you describe is also a threat to life,...yours and everyone else. I think this is one of those areas of moral decision that one has to weigh on the individual circumstances.

Yes, the campers might be violent drunks with guns,...or other type of dangerous crazy. You can never know. But ask yourself;...how will you feel if/when they all die from that fire? Or how will you feel if thousands of acres are destroyed because you didn't act?

Personally, I would go carry a 5 gallon can of water over there. If no dogs bark and they are too asleep to hear me walk into camp,...then its unlikely they will hear the fire get quietly doused. If they do alert to the fire going out and come out to complain, I would calmly but firmly tell them how lucky they were that someone else besides a ranger noticed their dangerous out of control fire and how much money they just saved by not getting fined. I would also offer some sort of olive branch, like making them coffee and breakfast in the morning if they are up to it.

But always conduct yourself with a smile and friendly demeanor. No one likes getting preached to, even if they richly deserve it. Emphasize that your concern is not to judge anyone's behavior, but just to keep things safe. Most people can understand that motivation,...even the occasional butthead.

Well Jim, you've got about 10 different opinions now, so good luck with that. LOL.

honk your vehicle horn using the SOS code to wake them up

One of the members of the camp went back over after I went to bed and found that they were awake in the tent. They left a smoldering fire and a trashed campsite at 7 am. They even left a gallon of water next to the fire but did not use it to put it out. One of our folk did and picked up the trash.

Thank you for the responses.

Would I have liked to dip a 5 gallon bucket in the lake, pored it on the fire and walked away? Certainly. Considering that they were awake in the tent, I am sure that a confrontation would have evolved.

It also would have been evident who called the ranger or sheriff if they would have even come out. Retaliation after a visit might be a issue. RV's burn ya know.

Being the group that got the ranger out of bed may not be a good way to call attention to one self either. We have not over stayed our welcome but would like to stay until our time is up. With no way to prove how long we have been here it can always be decided for us that we have been here long enough.

Guns would certainly be a consideration but so is being out in the middle of no where with few people around and any LEO a good 40 to 50 minutes away. Conflict and bringing attention to yourself is never a good thing out here.

Next time I will give a howdy to see if anyone is awake, write down the plate number and access the fire danger if no one answers.

it's just amazing to me how many people are irresponsible with fire. highdesertranger

"Sometimes" people can be reasonable, if you have a very loud voice that's bigger than you are. Once I was in a CG on the Oregon coast and the obviously city folk bozos next door were making a lot of noise all evening long. After I got in the sleeping bag, then they turned on the boom box very loud. Within 2 sec I yelled "HEY NO MUSIC" at the top of my lungs. It worked.

wow this is a massive catch 22 thing......cause if they are awake in the tent and know the fire is there then it is their business only, don't invade anyone's camp at night is a good thing...you're worried the blaze is WAY too high and can cause a forest fire. Hmmmm, there is almost no right answer to this. This is a darned if ya do, damned if ya don't thing.

Glad it wasn't me in that situation LOL

If the campers are awake in the tent then the fire is not unattended, even though it seems so to you.  Some people like to watch their fire from their bug proof tent, and not sit around it like the rest of us.  However, the fire may be too large to be safe. If you are noticing it, that is probably the case. Best to involve an official if one is around, but if the fire is really out of control you would have good reason to put it out. Fire spreads fast when it's dry. Always hail the other party before entering camp and state your business.      ~crofter

a couple of points that crofter posted,

"Always hail the other party before entering camp and state your business"

this is a great point that everybody needs to be aware of. always, I mean always call out before entering a strangers camp. do not enter the camp unless given the ok. this can not be emphasized enough. showing respect earns you respect, especially with old timers.

I totally agree with the above. but disagree with the below statement,

"If the campers are awake in the tent then the fire is not unattended"

that is not going to fly in California. now maybe if you are in a screen tent right next to the fire sitting in a chair, they MIGHT let you slide. but simply being awake in a tent ain't going to cut it.

BTW if they have the RTR in California everyone that has a campfire or cooks outside even on a stove will need a campfire permit. they are free but don't get caught without a permit. this is not a RTR thing but is needed anytime and anywhere in California. here's a link to get a permit,

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

highdesertranger