So I may have overdone it with the canned goods, but ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually try to have enough food on hand for a month, plus food to get me up north (MRE, Mountain house). Then I would rely on hunting, snares and other learned skills because I don't want to be hunkering down in a populated area where people may take your horded stuff.

I also like to have a few water filtration devices because lugging around water is hard, plus it can/will run out fast.

The Ukraine siuation is not going to cause food rationing in the USA. It is also not going to disrupt communications in the USA.

This is not the first go around of fighting between Russia and the Ukraine. The last time did not cause any of those situations to happen in the USA, it won't this time either. Not even for toilet paper 😁
Yep being an off grid prepper, I am always prepped. BUT seriously I do not see that we have or will have some other country actually trying to bomb us or invade since we with 900 bases all over the world and a military budget far greater than any potential foes, unlikely. Besides the civilian population would have me more hypervigilant, due to the lack of experience of living through wars right here much less doing without their smart phones.

Must be "new math" ;)
What's that old adage? "The best laid plans of mouse and men." I let my better 1/2 do the planning as I really suck at organizational order of things ya know toss it here toss it there. She's the artist and still much better at planning! That's where they messed up, they should of let a women organize that situation. lol.

I usually try to have enough food on hand for a month, plus food to get me up north (MRE, Mountain house). Then I would rely on hunting, snares and other learned skills because I don't want to be hunkering down in a populated area where people may take your horded stuff.

I also like to have a few water filtration devices because lugging around water is hard, plus it can/will run out fast.
I picked up 3 two pack Camco RV water filters for 7 bucks each off the WM Automotive clearance shelf last week (I already stock some). Each one was originally $27! I also stock Zero Water Filters, Life Straws, and Sawyer mini filters. Water is going to be the single biggest problem for most folks out in the Desert West if TSHTF...

Cheers.

Well, thank you!

I thought maybe "I" had overdone it...
I tend to maintain "situational awareness" due to my Military background. I realize that many people have not/do not.
Thanks. I was in the Army 5 years, my friends are combat vets, and I'm active in the veteran community. I intentionally don't follow politics or anything that's going to keep me on high alert. In my home, I'm prepared for things that are likely, like not having power for days. For me, that's food, water, a Jackery, 2 portable 100 watt solar panels, camp stove, extra fuel, flash lights, and an electric heater. I also have all of that stuff in my SUV but space restriction prevents me from having more than a few days worth.

Thanks. I was in the Army 5 years, my friends are combat vets, and I'm active in the veteran community. I intentionally don't follow politics or anything that's going to keep me on high alert. In my home, I'm prepared for things that are likely, like not having power for days. For me, that's food, water, a Jackery, 2 portable 100 watt solar panels, camp stove, extra fuel, flash lights, and an electric heater. I also have all of that stuff in my SUV but space restriction prevents me from having more than a few days worth.
Me too! Desert Storm/Desert Shield '91. That was a short shirmish. I am fortunate enough to get 100% of my healthcare, and 1/2 of my rent paid by the VA. I on the otherhand choose to maintain situational awareness, and preparedness.

Let me break it down for you:
Russia provides about 2/3 to 3/4 of the wheat to the world. Since the sanctions about 4 days ago, flour for bread is already in short supply in the Near Eastern countries. Still don't see how that affects you at Walmart?
If/when the "supply chain" for flour to the US and North America begins to dwindle, you may go to Walmart to buy some bread for sandwiches and not be able to. Not because your money is no good (unlike the Russian people at this time, but topic for another subject...), but because it is unavailable. So you say, no problem - I will just buy some flour and make my own. Again, flour shortage. About the only stuff left on the shelves will be premade stuff like Bisquick and pancake mix (of which I have a boat-load that all you have to do is mix with water).

Fun Fact: in moderized countries, any given grocery store ONLY stocks 3 days worth of supplies. Period. So, again - our dollar may remain stable, but like in COVID2020, there may just not BE any stocks on the shelves. Why?

Because... oil. Russia, along with the US and Saudi Arabia supplies 1/3 of the oil in the World. Still don't see what that has to do with the price of bread on the shelves at Walmart? Currently, although the current administration has managed to negotioate terms for oil supply with Saudia Arabians, the Saudi's are not turning on the spigot nor are they lowering the price of a barrel of oil. So if I have to explain it, the higher price of a barrel of oil translates into higher prices at the pump. For folks who are dependent upon gasoline for their very survival (locomotion, energy, recharging the battery in you vehicle vis a vis an alternator= battery = spark for your combustion engine), higher prices at the pump may cut in significantly to your monthly budget, or your savings - how ever you are currently financing your adventure.

If you remember, even in recent events - higher prices for gas translate into higher prices for products because .... truckers rely upon gas/diesel like you do.

And, even before "He-who-shall-not-be-named" attacked an adjacent country (who happens to supply the necessary elements for semi-conductors), the Fed had announced that they were going to raise the interest rate from it's COVID rate of 0% to a more acceptable rate for major investors to promote the economy. Whether you choose to pay attention or not - unless you are a breathatarian and have no need for products and services - you are part of and depend upon the economy.

So, as evidenced by the effects of Sanctions upon a foriegn country as an example - imagine going to bed with $100 in your checking account, and waking up and it is only worth $1!!! And, when you go to the ATM to get your last remaining dollar, the banks are closed. You can't get your money out, even if you have more than $1 - such are the effects of Sanctions on the Russian people. So what does this have to do with you? No one has to bomb the US for the effects of a war across the ocean to affect citizens in North America. Whether we choose to pay attention to it or not, America and all other nations are part of a global economy. Therefore, what affects another country then translates to an effect down the "supply chain" (that dreaded word). Truckers don't have to go on strike and barges don't have to be stalled in the harbours for citizens to be affected by global events.
Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk.

Missile silos used to keep 6 months supplies for up to 150 people even though there were only 4 crew members all male at the time although that changed later. The plan was so well planed the people were screened for compatibility and reproduction capabilities! Lol!!!
Um, again.... Welcome to Current Events class;
Nuclear missiles = M.utually A.ssured D.estruction -
hence the hestitance by NATO to establish a "No Fly Zone".
Putin said that a No Fly Zone would be taken as an act of war by him. Might as well say "him", because until the Russian people revolt (which they are activley in the process of doing - and even more so as food becomes more scarce - because their dollar just crashed to 0.01, and they can't even get their money out of the banks - even if they have more than 0.01...), Russia = "He-who-shall-not-be-named".

I enrich my information about the circumstances with foriegn news (because the news outlets in the US tend to be "cults of personality" and more concerned with their "likes" on Twitter). I have always cycled through DW, RT, Al Jazeer, and I like Four Corners on Austrailian news (it's like a 60 minutes show). My family have always been "news people". I can remember watching the news with my grandfather and father when I was too young to understand what they were saying. I remember my grandfather pointing to the moon when the first man walked upon it, and he told me "remember this, this is an event that's going to change the world."

Me too! Desert Storm/Desert Shield '91. That was a short shirmish. I am fortunate enough to get 100% of my healthcare, and 1/2 of my rent paid by the VA. I on the otherhand choose to maintain situational awareness, and preparedness.

Russia provides about 2/3 to 3/4 of the wheat to the world. Since the sanctions about 4 days ago, flour for bread is already in short supply in the Near Eastern countries. Still don't see how that affects you at Walmart?
If/when the "supply chain" for flour to the US and North America begins to dwindle, you may go to Walmart to buy some bread for sandwiches and not be able to. Not because your money is no good (unlike the Russian people at this time, but topic for another subject...), but because it is unavailable. So you say, no problem - I will just buy some flour and make my own. Again, flour shortage. About the only stuff left on the shelves will be premade stuff like Bisquick and pancake mix (of which I have a boat-load that all you have to do is mix with water).

Fun Fact: in moderized countries, any given grocery store ONLY stocks 3 days worth of supplies. Period. So, again - our dollar may remain stable, but like in COVID2020, there may just not BE any stocks on the shelves. Why?

Because... oil. Russia, along with the US and Saudi Arabia supplies 1/3 of the oil in the World. Still don't see what that has to do with the price of bread on the shelves at Walmart? Currently, although the current administration has managed to negotioate terms for oil supply with Saudia Arabians, the Saudi's are not turning on the spigot nor are they lowering the price of a barrel of oil. So if I have to explain it, the higher price of a barrel of oil translates into higher prices at the pump. For folks who are dependent upon gasoline for their very survival (locomotion, energy, recharging the battery in you vehicle vis a vis an alternator= battery = spark for your combustion engine), higher prices at the pump may cut in significantly to your monthly budget, or your savings - how ever you are currently financing your adventure.

If you remember, even in recent events - higher prices for gas translate into higher prices for products because .... truckers rely upon gas/diesel like you do.

And, even before "He-who-shall-not-be-named" attacked an adjacent country (who happens to supply the necessary elements for semi-conductors), the Fed had announced that they were going to raise the interest rate from it's COVID rate of 0% to a more acceptable rate for major investors to promote the economy. Whether you choose to pay attention or not - unless you are a breathatarian and have no need for products and services - you are part of and depend upon the economy.

So, as evidenced by the effects of Sanctions upon a foriegn country as an example - imagine going to bed with $100 in your checking account, and waking up and it is only worth $1!!! And, when you go to the ATM to get your last remaining dollar, the banks are closed. You can't get your money out, even if you have more than $1 - such are the effects of Sanctions on the Russian people. So what does this have to do with you? No one has to bomb the US for the effects of a war across the ocean to affect citizens in North America. Whether we choose to pay attention to it or not, America and all other nations are part of a global economy. Therefore, what affects another country then translates to an effect down the "supply chain" (that dreaded word). Truckers don't have to go on strike and barges don't have to be stalled in the harbours for citizens to be affected by global events.
Thanks for taking the time to write this. I don't follow politics, literally have no interest in it, but I'm sure it's great information for people who want to know what's going on. I'm more the 2 sentence explanation and "make sure you keep your gas topped off" kind of girl.

What kristinakar1na said.

In addition to the supply chain, there are all the things that could go wrong with the internet (from outages to hacking) ... as well as 101 other kinds of aggression (from external or internal actors).

We've had a long run of being much safer here than much of the world, and long may that continue. But if the last 5-10 years have shown us anything, it's that the mere fact that we can't imagine something doesn't mean it can't happen. "Things that never happened before happen all the time."

We are way too interconnected to think that what happens in a trouble spot will stay in the trouble spot.

Nobody's recommending panic or obsession here -- just some basic preparation (much of which we should be doing anyway, for routine disasters [if that's not an oxymoron], but can easily let slide).

In short, yes. Clean air, water, fire, shelter, food. And social things like musical instruments, because.... morale.😊

Just remember starving people do desperate things. Don’t be one.

Wheat, corn, rice, etc. production is important. Wheat Production by Country 2022 In 2021, Kansas led the nation in wheat production, followed by North Dakota. In the world, China, India, Russia and the US are the top four producers, in this order. The US leads in corn production while China leads in rice production. "The current price of corn as of March 04, 2022 is $7.5425 per bushel." Maybe switching from wheat to corn (e.g. cornmeal) would be economical. "In the UK, cornmeal is more commonly referred to as polenta. Polenta is actually a porridge-like dish from Northern Italy, but in the UK packets of cornmeal ground to the optimal coarseness for making the dish are simply known as polenta."

A better metric is wheat exports. The top 5:
  1. Russia: US$7.9 billion (17.7% of total wheat exports)
  2. United States: $6.32 billion (14.1%)
  3. Canada: $6.3 billion (14.1%)
  4. France: $4.5 billion (10.1%)
  5. Ukraine: $3.6 billion (8%)
China and India are top producers but they still import because they cannot grow enough to feed their huge populations.

Since we live in a global economy and Russian and Ukrainian wheat exports are affected (25% of total), expect to see the price of wheat products rise accordingly. There will also be shortages.

Ukraine is also a big exporter of corn (16%) so you will probably see price increases and shortages there also. And a corresponding rise in gasoline prices.

Yes but as the Government switches from Gasoline to Ethanol just watch the corn prices go up.

Wheat, corn, rice, etc. production is important. Wheat Production by Country 2022 In 2021, Kansas led the nation in wheat production, followed by North Dakota. In the world, China, India, Russia and the US are the top four producers, in this order. The US leads in corn production while China leads in rice production. "The current price of corn as of March 04, 2022 is $7.5425 per bushel." Maybe switching from wheat to corn (e.g. cornmeal) would be economical. "In the UK, cornmeal is more commonly referred to as polenta. Polenta is actually a porridge-like dish from Northern Italy, but in the UK packets of cornmeal ground to the optimal coarseness for making the dish are simply known as polenta."
Lets hope Kansas doesn't get in a war with the Dakotas over control of Nebraska. My moms family is from North Dakota and they can be pretty stubborn.

Let's also hope we don't have to suffer using higher percentages of ethanol in the mix.

... given the news and all, this seems like a good time to do whatever you'd do if there was a hurricane five days out and one of the lines in the spaghetti model ran through your location. Keep your gas and water tanks full, lay in a few extra supplies, have some cash handy, have an alternate comms plan with your loved ones, etc.

Not out of panic or paranoia (although, JDub, feel free)(KIDDING) -- all those are things we should do periodically anyway, and this would be a good time to top them up. The particular "dangers" that I'm thinking of -- should, God forbid, the Ukraine crisis spread -- are interruptions to the supply chain and to routine communications.

Compared to much of the world, we have been extraordinarily lucky. Might as well give a hat-tip to that good luck by doing our part to stay prepared. And that's ALL I'm saying -- not worry, or fume, or get hypervigilant, just top up your usual self-care plan, and then go back to doing what you do.

Be safe and well, y'all!
Its certainly not paranoia to be prepared for emergencies. Ukraine is the 3rd highest, food exporting country in the world; and might soon be controlled by an invading dictator.

Well said! I'm also Army veteran. Retired with 24 years service.

Thanks. I guess I will be planting a lot more than potatoes and the usual veggie crops this year and will be getting some grain seed before it is all gone.

My other project is looking into storing food in glass jars and if I can preserve things like chicken and beef without a fridge (I don't have one) then that would be quite something alright and exciting.
I didn’t grow up canning food but I do can now what I get from a garden. We are full time in the RV but still do have a home but years ago I moved my niece and her hubby in and said Sayanara. We put a cement pad and hookups so when we go back we have a place to park.

It’s funny you mentioned the meat canning because just last night I was looking up exactly that. I only looked up chicken but it seems it’s going to be incredibly easy peasy.

Unlike the veges and jams I can when in season I will have to have a pressure cooker for meat so I’m going to have to buy that.

As I read you put a tsp of salt into the jar, add the cut up chicken pieces, screw the top on and put in the canner for 75 minutes. That’s it. No water in the jar.

I’ve decided to try it over the summer. Since we still have the place I can store a big canner in the shed so I don’t have to take it when we aren’t there. Hubby has alpha-gal syndrome from a tick bite so can’t have any mammal products at all so I’ll only be canning chicken when I find a big sale. If you get thru our area of KY you are welcome to stop and use the big canner.