So grateful for this resource

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeAtLast

Reaction score
Hello Bob and fellow members.

I've been poking around this site for probably two years or more as my wife and I had hoped to travel in whatever kind of little RV or camper that we could afford once I retired.  But a year ago, my wife was in and out of the hospital with severe abdominal pains.  After several months of testing and surgery for a ruptured gall bladder, we got the news that no one wants to hear - inoperable pancreatic cancer.  That was in March and I became her caregiver, with the help of hospice, until her passing in early July.  In April, friends set up a fundraiser for us to rent a small RV for a week and in May we went to Niagara Falls which had been her choice for our first stop.  It was just under 1000 miles round trip for us.  For a week, we could pretend that we were travelling together like we had always planned.  We spent two nights at an RV campsite and the rest in WalMart lots.  She needed lots of meds by then and we couldn't have done it without having the bed and bathroom of the RV.

So now that it's just me, I have changed my focus to converting a cargo van and have been busy watching YouTube vids and reading posts here and Bob's excellent blog entries.  I've located a 2000 GMC 3500 work van with the 6.5 liter GM/Detroit Diesel turbo diesel.  The van is not a high top and it's not the long wheelbase extended van, but we all have to start somewhere and I think this is going to be my starting point.  If it turns out that I need more room, this drivetrain will certainly be able to handle it.

2015 was a tough year, but it is now behind us.  I've learned to use grief as a transformative force, as we are never the same person after losing a loved one that we were before.  I'm looking forward to whatever 2016 has in store, learning some new skills and creating a new me.  I am so grateful that this community exists and continues to share its collective knowledge so generously.  Thank you, thank you all.

FreeAtLast (maybe not quite yet, but soon!)

Welcome aboard the posting side Free At Last
Hope it all comes together for ya!
Any questions.....you know what to do .

Welcome to the board, FreeAtLast.

So very sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Condolences to you & yours.

But I must say, that despite it all, you sound strong and have your head together, so that's excellent!! You're going to do just fine at this!

This is a wonderful forum for living on the road. Feel free to ask anything that comes to mind that you need help with. I'm sure someone on here has the answers you need.

coincidentally, I was actually born in Niagara Falls, NY. What a great place!

Hello from the Oregon Coastline!

My condolences on the loss of your wife...

thank you for taking such good care of her and helping her have a taste of your dream together, despite the difficulties due to her health...

as a cansurvivor myself, I've no doubt that meant more than you can ever imagine...

Best of luck on the journey ahead of you - I hope it is enjoyable, challenging, rewarding, life affirming and everything you want it to be..

Very sorry for your loss. Welcome to the forum, may this year be better for you. :)

Welcome and I feel for your loss... many on here are dealing with some sort of a loss, so you have more in common with others here than you realize.

Hello and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss but very happy that you and your beloved wife were able to have the trip to Niagara Falls together before she passed. What a lovely memory to hold on to <3

I think it is wonderful you are continuing the dream of traveling and I know you will find lots of support and encouragement here at CRVL. I admire your positive outlook and determination.